Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Removing the Password from the Flashpoint Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last night Pulverizer, lenin and myself played on Pulv's Finmod server EWE FDF (http://ewe.dy.fi). During the games, at least 2 serious players joined and showed interest about the CiA coop nights. Those without the needed addons were automatically kicked anyway.

OFP is an old game, I think that there are high chances that those who still play finmod are mostly serious players that we want to see on our coop nights. Unfortunately, many players didn't get the chance to read our BI board thread and do not know our little group.

So what do you guys think about taking a trial period during which we will play without the protection of the password? we can consider our addons as the protection we need. I guess many players will be kicked automatically, but during the finmod only missions, we might get to know some good players that will enrich our games. The only problem is the non-addon missions- everybody will have access to the server, but we have enough addons missions at the time being so that during this trial period, we could avoid choosing them.
We originally started using the password as we wanted better control over our visitors. By making new players ask for it we could ensure they had some time and effort to think about how we expected them to play. We also wanted to make a selection in the players who were at the time active on the server. A couple of incidents by a few players caused the fun of the game to be ruined for many.

As we are a lot fewer in numbers now and the people left in this wonderful little game of ours are mostly team players who like the right combination of serious game play and fun, I guess it could work to remove the password. So I say let's try it and see what happens. If things turn horribly wrong we can fix it easily back ;-)
Yeah you can't have players with and without finmod playing the same time because that will cause crashes whenever a mine is placed etc.

The problem are the players who are not willing to join Teamspeak or who don't understand spoken english well enough or just don't give a shit about team work or about following a plan. The welcome message of the server should explain how one is expected to behave, so there's no misunderstading of this.

It worked very well for the Zeus community in OFP and that was long before ArmA was out.
Hola,

im not sure, if Pulv is for it or against it ;-)...

two Questions from my side:

1. How much work is it for Lob to remove/deremove (what a nice word) the apssword from the server

2. Can we add a "checking-System" that kicks all members wich have any addon missing (independantly what current mission is running) immediately off?

Greets

Tony
1. None. It's just a single line much like:
password="123";
->
password="";

2. Not really, unless someone is willing to do a small edit to each and every non-finmod mission (not it). But we can see what mod folders a person joining has, so it's not a problem, other than the lag caused by custom face downloading when they join.

Other option is to require identical mod parameter, then everyone would have to use -mod=finmod;@bas for instance and nothing more, nothing less.
The password has been removed. A notification about the removal has been given in the BI board thread and the welcome message has been modified to meet the new situation. Smile Let's see how this goes...
In the server's welcome message I mentioned that the needed addons can be found here, on the CiA web page. Lobanak, can we add a "Download" section to the navigation bar that will contain links to all our needed addons?