Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: A&D Insurgency
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am making a new mission. One, I hope, with a  difference. Its and Attack and Defend, but with an entirely different form of balance. It has been designed to emulate a British Army Strike Operation in Iraq. There is the west side who are well armed and have some heavy armour with a script to protect against the unrealistically powerful AT weapons, and have air support, but are severly limited in number. On the other side, are the insurgents. They are, due to a script, without number but armed with low quality weapons (JAM HD). I hope to encourage insurgent style behaviour from the defending team, meaning setting up ambushes, and not fight the Coalition troops in one on one fights. It should also emphasise teamwork on both sides.

Thoughts?
Sounds interesting to me. Is it a real A&D with humans against humans - I did not quite get that. I think you will be confronted with different opinions here (as we could already see after the a&d night a few weeks ago). But I am definitely interested in this.

Or is this meant to be more like "Counter Insurgency" by Tacrod?
The basic setup to this mission is this:

On west side, we have an 10 man squad, an M2A2 and a manned M1. 2 of the men in the squad are crewmen for the M2A2. There is also an A10 (LGB) and a laser designator. They are all playable. They have the objective of killing the Enemy commander in the town.

On the east side, we have 9 squads of men, the leader of each being playable, each starting with 3 AIs, but with a script allowing you to call in more at certain areas. The Commander is also playable. Their aim is to kill all the coalition troops, but they have no armour, limited transport and rubbish weaponry.

Im also looking into ways to make it so that it is possible to gain knowledge of the commander whereabouts from either dead bodies or weapons chaches or something like that.
Would be fun to play A&D against another clan don't u think? So we don't have to shoot at each other.
If only we had more members, and if we actually had some proper PvP tactics and maneuvers down, we could do CiA vs the rest of the world like Kyllikki did in their "mega A&D" nights. Those were some fun games.

We could also invade their ArmA A&D nights. It's not for finns only, even if players mostly speak finnish. We could be like a little five-man elite terrorist strike team amongst the other rambos and lone wolves as their adversary 8)
(11-05-2008, 07:09 PM)Pulverizer link Wrote:We could also invade their ArmA A&D nights. It's not for finns only, even if players mostly speak finnish. We could be like a little five-man elite terrorist strike team amongst the other rambos and lone wolves as their adversary 8)
I like that idea specially "not finns only" but still ArmA only? Wink
(11-05-2008, 07:09 PM)Pulverizer link Wrote:If only we had more members, and if we actually had some proper PvP tactics and maneuvers down, we could do CiA vs the rest of the world like Kyllikki did in their "mega A&D" nights. Those were some fun games.

We could also invade their ArmA A&D nights. It's not for finns only, even if players mostly speak finnish. We could be like a little five-man elite terrorist strike team amongst the other rambos and lone wolves as their adversary 8)
Brings this thread into my mind: http://ofp-zeus.com/nuke/modules.php?nam...insurgency

I'm not too much excited about playing PvP with finmod; WGL on the other hand...  Smile
Id definately go for a CiA vs all comers A&D, or a meeting engagement*. Especially if we did it in WGL. Id even make the mission if you wanted.

*or an insurgency in the main city on Tonal, or an escape and evasion, etc. etc.
(11-05-2008, 08:48 PM)Overlord link Wrote:I like that idea specially "not finns only" but still ArmA only? Wink
They switched to ArmA only back in february 2007.

I think FDFmod is fun for PvP as well, because of all the toys like UAV, trip mines, man-portable weapons (ags17, tow, mortar, mg), UAZ with the recoilless gun, invincible Hind, sathcel attaching (for skoda kamikazes) etc.
(11-06-2008, 09:48 AM)Pulverizer link Wrote:[quote author=Overlord link=topic=1541.msg6509#msg6509 date=1225910884]
I like that idea specially "not finns only" but still ArmA only? Wink
They switched to ArmA only back in february 2007.

I think FDFmod is fun for PvP as well, because of all the toys like UAV, trip mines, man-portable weapons (ags17, tow, mortar, mg), UAZ with the recoilless gun, invincible Hind, sathcel attaching (for skoda kamikazes) etc.
[/quote]

But the main problem being the guns all being laser accurate. Whereas with WGL things like suppressing fire are useful, on FDF you can try and suppress but you dont get the dispersion you need and the  enemy will just straight out shoot you. Things like UAVs and tripmines can be added with one or 2 choice mods (dragonwarrior and CoC Mines), WGL has man portable weapons as well, but it doesnt have satchel attaching or a UAZ with recoiless rifle, and whats invincible hind?
Well yeah. But it's the same for each side (fdfmod alters ALL weapons).

Supressing fire is just as useful in FDF pvp too though, as in to keep the enemy pinned in their holes while another element moves in etc. Dispersion only makes supression less effective in fact (shooting at the walls does not neccessarily supress a stupid/brave enough enemy, shooting in through the window he's peeking out from does because he will get shot, or see his buddy do so).

The only problem with WGL is that almost no one plays it. I do know it's an awesome mod and that it has portable weapons, I played on Zeus back when they had massive A&Ds and I had a wgl server running for months not too long ago. With FDF and a little luck, it would be possible to play small A&Ds, WGL, no.
Mh, well. At the end of the day you can play PvP with finmod, too of course. But in general I'd still prefer WGL (not even for PvP, also for Coop but you know the story with difficulty level of coop missions converted to WGL - almost unplayable hard and blah blah...).
Let's not turn this into FDF vs WGL discussion.

A regular PvP night would be a nice thing. But we need players (and suitable missions, the ones we played a few weeks ago were the right direction but somehow they felt suboptimal for me in some regards).
How about friday or saturday evenings/nights? Those would be perfect for me 8)

Just need some small A&D missions. I have two for FDF. Simple A&Ds are really easy to make btw, compared to making a good co-op.
I think saturday would be better for me. There are some A&D missions on the server already, you can look them up in the mission list at google.

Are the missions you have for humans only or is it about humans commanding AI with grouprespawn? Both have their right of existence but in the latter humans tend to leave their AI back in a safe place and use them as respawn only...
They are easily modified either way. Group respawn is nice when you play with only a few people, to have the fight last more than 5 seconds after 20 minutes of running about.
Pages: 1 2