Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Combat Drills
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First of all I was bored,
and seeing all of you playing(16players one the server) unable to join(hopfully GOTY comes tomorrow) I begin looking around and found this.
Some have probably already seen it but still some might not have. And its good stuff so the following pages may be something fore all players.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Infantry_Tips

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/The_Basic_Drill

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/React_to_Contact

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Platoon/Squad_Attack

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Hull-down

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Tri-Factor_Theory

Here are two more drills from may own personal archive(my head).
This is drills used bay real world units and not my own creations.
They only work if all squad members is human and know them. Its recommended that all team members is able to use voice commands(TS) as drills like “zip” requires a high level of coordination. I recommend this drills to be used in player v player fore greater effect. The Ai isn’t as easy frightened as your human opposition.

Some of you out there might know these drills but have a different name on them, Well that isn’t to strange as I don’t know the official NATO name on this two drills. The “Zip” is a direct translation from the Swedish word fore the drill “Zip=blixtlås”(blixtlas) and the “Relay” is description on what you are doing. If any one knows the correct name fore the drills I be very happy to know.
Further more I might have forget something in the execution of the drills or you might have more positives or negatives to ad to the list.
The Rifle squad organisation suggestion on the bottom is only my own small contribution base on real world unit organisation.

Please enjoy reading and don’t be afraid to comment this or come with suggestions of more drills and tactics. You newer know when you, me or any one else on this forum might need them to out smart other players.

“Zip”
The “Zip” is a break contact drill to use when the Squad wants to disengage.

The basics of “Zip”

First you need to have your unit in a line formation(if enemy engages from side when in column turn formation towards enemy (left/Right) and form line)

When the unit is facing the enemy in line formation, the unit leader(Team, Squad) orders Squad Zip Left or Zip Right(unit should move in the direction that’s offering the most concealment and best chance to disengage)

The soldier on the flank(left/right) makes an outward facing turn(to avoid hitting friendly if accidently firing) and runs behind the line formation in top speed.(towards the ordered direction) when passing number two(on his flank) he says his own number(so number two knows he is now next(in reel world tapping his shoulder if no Group-com is available)).

When he arrives at the opposite flank ha takes up position in the firing line and open fire.

Number two should begin to repeat the move when number one says his number(and pass behind)

The move is repeated down the firing line until contact is broken and/or the unit leader decides the unit has disengage.

On the positive side
This drill is god when its possible to disengage bay moving to cover left or right.
When done the right way it makes the unit able to disengage fast but still able to concentrate fire on the enemy.
And the psychological effect  on the opposition seeing a well drilled unit breaking contact this way should halt or delay any attempts to follow.

On the negative side
If used when its not possible to break contact an disengage bay moving left or right.(example if you moves closer to an enemy strong point.
Also avoid using tactic if enemy force has a vastly superior front line(sooner or later the enemy will start hitting you)
Don’t work well in larger formations Platoon and above(18+)

“Relay” (short or long)
The Relay is an advance/fall back drill to use under fire or when the danger of being fire upon is great.

The only difference between the short and the long is the distance the soldiers run.
The only difference between the advance and the fall back is in one you move towards the enemy and in the other you moves away from the enemy.

The basics of “Relay”

First you need to have your unit in a line formation(if enemy engages from side when in column turn formation towards enemy (left/Right) and form line)

A-Team is on the left and B-Team on the right of the line then the squad leader orders Squad Short Forward 10. The A-Team then sprints forward 5meters(yes 5meters) and B-Team is support and makes use of suppressing fire if needed.

When A-Team stop and begin support, B-Team sprints 10meters and then stops an begin support. Now A-Team sprints 10meters and stop and begin support.

The process is repeated until Squad leaders calls an Halt or other command.

If “Relay” is used to move away from enemy command is instead Squad Relay Backwards 10

Short “Relay” 15 meters or less
Long “Relay” 15 meters or more

As a rule you should avoid long “Relay” and use short “Relay” To get your unit out of harms way/ or to speedy assault enemy positions and push the enemy out. The main reason to use short in real life is that you get tired of running. In game, well nobody wants to run unable to return fire.

On the positive side
Your unit is able to move towards or away from enemy units and is returning fire.
Its possible to cross open ground and assault or fallback from enemy.
Use full if you need to cross open areas even when un-engage(enemy might have an ambush waiting fore you) 
Two squads might use it together.
This drill might be used of a platoon.

On the negative Side
Your unit might be right were the enemy wants it to be. And your entire unit is killed before you even know they were there as you advanced straight on to them over an open field.

Suggestions on Rifle squad organisation and equipments

Because of the diversity of tasks a rifle squad might be faced with it should be able to defend itself and hold ground. Capable of suppressing enemy units or destroy them, and to capture ground. To complete this tasks a squad will need a number of different weapon systems both squad and personal.

But first the organisation of a rifle squad, this may differ fore different countries. May personal belief is that a 6 to 10man squad is the best. A balance between mobility and firepower. If a squad have a specific purpose the balance may shift and more or less might be needed(a MG squad probably needs 6-7 man).

A squad always needs a leader and the leader needs an assistant(Usually NCOs). These two commands the fire teams(usually two, but if a squad is 12man squad it might be wise to ad a third NCO to allow the Squad leader the task of management).

Two light/squad MGs(M249Saw or PK/RPK) should be apart of all squads.

Its expected that a squad will need to hit a modern Main Battle Tank (MBT) with 3 AT4 (M136) to successfully destroy it. So I strongly recommend at least 3 to 4 AT shoots to be carried of a squad. Alternatives is to have the Javelin missile system, Carl Gustav System or RPGs.

Regular squad members should be armed with assault rifles(6-10mags) and grenades(2-4), if possible make use of the M203 grenade attachment(or similar system)

Cheers Grip
Hi Grip
I agree with you that it can fun to use some "real life" tactics in OFP but due to limitations in OFP (limited field of view (no FOV when using scoop), not easy to estimate distances (3 vs 7 vs 15m), AI's strange brain and eyes and walls open only for enemy bullets) not all of them is useful/ can be used.

We are also players from different countries with different training/ experience from different units. Personally I try to use OFP's "built in" possibilities which we all are familiar with. On the other hand, your Relay tactic can be useful in OFP too, when crossing open fields. It make it possible for the team to give almost full support for the one crossing open area. Only disadvantage is if the "crosser" is detected by AI he probably will see the rest of the mission on Spec-TV Wink

To keep confusion to a minimum it's best to use only one commander at time, max unit size is only 12 players. Sometimes we use a variant where 2 or 3 ppl is assigned a specific task, e.g. take out a tank from other position than the main attack would be.

The equipments available in each mission is mostly determined by missionmaker when making the mission. Some times we also have to consider our equipment up against what our objective is. And since this is only a game players should be able to (in certain degree) pick his own preferred shooter. I speak for myself when I find the RK hard to hit with but the SVT is a nice piece. I guess not all weaponry in OFP is 100% equivalent to its "Real Life" counterpart.

We try to stick with our "server rules" and for the most time it works well as long as you got another leader than me Tongue
Hello ;D
Well first of all Spec-Tv is were I fear a will spend some time anyway as I have an incredible streak of unfortunate right now :-[ so fore me it don’t matter.
But I mentioned that the drills were more useful against other human players, as humans is so easily distracted when they know that if hit they will spend the next hour watching instead of taking part. 

Well of course the background is a large threshold to overcome and I don’t expect players to do advanced drills tomorrow, (or ever) but to point out that the possibility exists. And a volunteer to take part in it if some one wants to try.

The confusion problem you mention is not so big problem(I think). And creative and resourceful minds might be able to find a solution.

And equipment sorry if you got the impression a tried to order around, it was mare a suggestion based on experience. And a god thing to think about fore mission builders that wants to mimic real units and wants a unit to be able to solve different problems. And the twin light MG deployment in a squad offers some serious firepower.
I don’t have a problem at all with players choosing their own favourite kit, mission specific equipment or things like that. I know of own experience that on coop players some times abandon there favourite weapon fore the greater god to.
But personally I get board in games with 16 snipers(some games out there).

Nice picture of your home bay the way, mine is build in two floor Wink.
Cheers Grip
(03-09-2009, 10:51 PM)Grip link Wrote: [ -> ]Nice picture of your home bay the way
Thanks mate, it's a cozy place Wink
What sort of confusion do you mean using more than one commander?
Only one has command panel, so the other two MUST relay on TS (which also is the quickest way for first commander to issue orders). The command panel is also the quickest way to see what equipment is available, others can't see what the rest have. In addition to that we (all players) use TS to report contacts to commander.

So in this theater of war you would introduce two more commander in each team? Well, that would bring a new meaning to the word "Confusion of war" Wink

I agree we can split channels on TS but then we almost need to assign one player just for managing TS. Join us when you get your GOTY, it's not as bad as it can look the way we play Smile
Well my GOTY arrived yesterday, but I am having some troubles whit error messages but I will reinstall it and try again.(Its not my lucky month)
Hopefully I will be up and running tomorrow, and able to get some first hand knowledge of your style of play and command.

Would it be any real problem having one player acting as command HQ maybe in an secure location or as co-pilot in a Blackhawk or any were else were he is slightly more secure.
And bay the way a like the panic and screaming in the com channels its nice knowing that some other players and not joust me have lost contact whit reality.

And a would not ad a third commander to a team if its avoidable. A 12man team is to large in many ways and I prefer two-three 8 man teams and Platoon commander, The commander should not give exact commands to the Squad leader. More general like move to coordinate and do this or that. The micro management is still a task fore the squad leader, the assistant squad leader is in game terms more of a replacement if the squad leader dies.( or if you need to split the squad).
The Platoon commander directs the Squads to the locations he believes is most suitable to complete the mission(Some times even sticking to the Plan). And relay information to the squads regarding the other squads and possible enemy units. Its also his task to be creative and com up with emergency plans fore the hole platoon. And to decide when to call fore support and pick up.

Maybe it means that a second channel will be needed to command and control the unit. But then the complexity will rise and also the difficulty(at least in the beginning)

Cheers
Hello Marto ;D

I dont think it's a patch problem have patch to the 1.96.v. Its more of a Addon problem(something is misplaced of me) the massage I receive is “error  loading  Isr_rang90\Isr_rang01.p3d (Magic)

Cheers
Well i found the files named Ias(Finmod_model_Conversion\@cccp\addons)
But i would apreciat if some one wright a instal guide fore dummies(like me :-[)
cccp is not mandatory for playing on CiA server.
Here is a guide how to install only the necessary stuff, all the rest (Finmod Model Conversion, WGL Compass) is stuff you install AFTER your (our) addons works flawlessly. And please NOT use WGL, it's another full conversion of OFP and it will not work with finmod afaik.
well right now i dont use FDF Model Conversion but now when i use OFP Watch the it says that BAS dosent exist, shouldent you plave them in @CIA\addons?
Yes, if you placed BAS addons in "@CIA" you add "@CIA" as mod to load in ofpw too in addition to finmod.
Pages: 1 2