Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: FDF mortars?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was good using them in a coop the other night. They were very useful.

Is there a guide written somewhere how to use them properly? ie I remember Leo saying something about alt shift left clicking to get the range on the map?

[Image: FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE-2009-03-23-07-.jpg]
The leaders should give the guy in the mortar a MOVE waypoint to the target. That way you can easily see its direction and distance.
Here is Post's training mission in question. It's a nice practice in mortar use. Normally leader give distance and direction cause target can be far away or out of view for mortar gunner. That's also the beauty of the mortar, it can stay in cover and still inflict mayhem to emenys Wink
Oh' and for the distance measuring; bring up the map, [Alt]-[Left-Shift] and double-click with left mouse. I didn't get any report but I think others did?

Make

Too small picture marto Sad, i cant see myself there trying to use that second mortar  ;D
Cool thanks, no I know how to use them.

Yep we were doing the waypoint thing the other night - works well but kind of cheating.....

Its left alt+left shift + left click on one spot on the map then the same on another and it tells you the distance between the points...

Remember elevation should affect it as well.... elevetion of the mortar and elvation of the tgt...

I like the mortars in WGL very much too...

Regards,
Martin.

Make

Marto: I like the mortars in WGL very much too...

What is difference between WGL and Normal? I dont have any idea  :Smile
You mean WGL and real life or between WGL and FDF mortars?
WGL mortars are much more complicated than FDF mortars. It begins with that you have to load every single shell into the WGL mortar whereas the FDF mortars have auto-reload magazines. So a WGL mortar crew normally should consist of loader and gunner to be most efficient.
Secondly the range of WGL mortars are significantly greater. Last but not least the FDF mortar is a "point and click" weapon but with the WGL mortar you have to calculate your target coordinates with a fire control system (described here: How do I use the mortar fire control system; I had to read it several times until I got the hang of it but once you know how it works it's not so hard but definitely more work to get your shells down range as with the FDF mortar).
Zwobot, was good trying out the mortars in your WGL mission - I enjoyed it...

At first I forgot to switch to mils east as we were using a Russian mortar.... but then I had it working... but as you said the difference in terrain elevations can put the calculations out...

I'd like to try it again, or any other mortar missions if anyone is interested. It would be good to have a dedicated spotter, somewhere safe behind the main fighting squad, that can adjust fire.

Hope Grip didnt get too bored loading the tube... but he did a good job missing his MG... Wink

Nice mision btw..

New mission in server featuring mortar: Dourdan Rescue (co@_12_fdf_dourdan_rescue_1_3.abel)
Thanks Marto. As said before during the mission I'd like to do some dedicated WGL mortar training so both of us (and whoever wants to join too) can handle the mortar (do the calculations) and call and adjust fire as a FO (Forward Observer).

On the server there's already a basic mortar training mission with a simple shell tracking script I did.