Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: God things to know(WGL)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The following post is dedicated to give some god pregame info concerning WGL.

The first thing is a map legend so we don’t need use 10min to explain the different unit markers on the map. Its pretty basic but you should have a basic picture of what those units markers means after this.

[Image: b9758133612539.gif]

So one dot means Squad
Two dots means Section
Three dots means Platoon
One vertical line means Company
Two vertical lines means Battalion

Red is used fore enemy
Blue fore friendly

Cheers
Grip
Depending on where you come from, section and squad mean the same. I suggest 1 dot should be fireteam, 2 be section/squad and 3 platoon.
You are right in that a squad and a section could mean the same thing, but this is there official name in the editor. And there already exist a Team marker, its a dot wit a backward diagonal line thro, but the team marker do not exist as a enemy marker. My guess on this is, that it should be hard to tell the difference between a small enemy squad and large team.

Cheers
Grip
Good post Grip but does it really matter? I mean, it's kind of cheating too. Wink

It's nice to know what type of resistance we can encounter but I think the exact amount of enemy's is a bit "over the top", and players will/ can be more careless.
Second, you can never use them correctly, e.g. you will never encounter a Company in game due to limits in OFP. In addition, as Mj mention, it's squads differ in size worldwide and sometimes a squad vary in size depending what type it is.

But again, I totally agree with you, a bit of knowledge about unit type legend is a must.
It's good to know what certain markers mean. But it is worthless to place them during a mission (double click on the map) because it takes far too long to "scroll" to them and you will never mark much more than 12 units with one marker anyway.

They are useful for a mission designer to layout the briefing. You can place a enemy platoon or company marker at the village which needs to be cleared and players will know there is supposed to be this amount of enemy troops in or in the vicinity of this village without giving away their exact positions.
But as I said before it is pointless to place those kind of markers during a mission because it takes too long and you will either mark individual tanks or single groups of infantry and write "tank", "infantry" or whatever in the marker text to differ between the target types.