Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: cannot run either dedicated / non-dedicated server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
maybe someone knows the solution

1. the non-dedicated server problem

when i click on "new" in multiplayer, i just get a black screen saying "Creating client..." for like 10 seconds, then it just gets closed and brings me back to the main menu. i didn't really use it recently but i remember that some years ago ( :Smile) it worked, i had the same ofp discs (goty version), the only "visible" difference is that i changed from xp to vista since then.

2. the dedicated server

it just simply says "server creation failed : 2302"

[i checked and no, that port is not used by either tpc or udp thingy.]
OFP uses port 2302 to 2305 TCP & UDP
Sounds like a software firewall problem. You probably need to make a new rule to allow OFP to act as a server.
@Overlord

network sniffer says that nothing is used between 1900-3702

@Pulverizer

doesn't work even if i turn the firewall off
I'm not that familiar with Vista but I know some peoples need to run OFP as adim and in XP-compatibility mode.

And I still vote for Pulv's idea, if your network sniffer don't detect activity on ports around 2302 when you play OFP you better trash that program. Reason is: OFP [b]use those ports (2302 by default which, stunningly enough, also is the port used by CiA co-op server) even if you believe me or not  :'(

Make

I had never problems on Vista creating server as a local, so i think OS isnt a problem.Try to check out network settings. If you cant figure out problem i suggest you try BIS forums.
after days of lazyness to find solution and "idontgiveafuck, thiswillneverwork" thoughts,today i found the simple crappy solution.

for some reason, ofp doesn't like things like "öüóáéűúőóü" etc.. in the PC's name
soooooo in my case, the problem was my first name... Ádám.
from this comes that my pc name was "Ádám-PC" that i had to change to something that only contains english letters, and tadaaa... finally
You should always avoid special characters in names related to computer even if windows claims to handle it.
That mean characters not in the first 128 slots in ASCII table. If that ain't clear just avoid characters NOT in normal English language, normally all with something over (`´^~¨). I always avoid æøå and " " (space).
new situation :-X

so now that the server is working, i'd like to connect ;D
that means that i'd like to run & play on the same comp, i heard ppl saying that "use one comp to host, one to play" blabla.. but i've seen people who can host & play at the same time. maybe someone knows the trick for this here.. but i try the bi forum too

edit: aaa forgot to say my problem - when the my dedicated server is running > and i start ofp, it starts as it should > but when i click on "multiplayer" > crashes.
You can either run a dedicated server on your machine or play as a client. Dedicated server and client at the same time does not work. Maybe you can use a virtual machine but I doubt the performance would be any good.
Dedicated Server = running OFPR_Server.exe (be sure to use v1.96)
Host game = Start OFP -> Multiplayer -> New -> select mission

Normally both should work but only one at same time.
I can run OFPR_Server.exe and a number of OFP clients on the same machine without any problems. Same also works with listen + clients.

This is useful for testing for MP issues on scripts etc.

You can also run multiple OFP servers on the same machine. If you don't define port it will seek to the next available from 2302 (the window title will incorrectly display the initial port when next port has been chosen).
(05-21-2009, 12:14 AM)Pulverizer link Wrote: [ -> ]I can run OFPR_Server.exe and a number of OFP clients on the same machine without any problems.

that's what i want too
Try using parameter -sockets

Maybe it tries to use directplay for some reason and doesn't work on Vista because of that.
the server is using sockets basicly btw. other ppl could connect, only i can't
Pages: 1 2