Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: New OFP server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, folks,

I have a spare computer and want to use it as an OFP server (Sanctuary's WW4 mod), on occasion (I'd also like to get it running the Mumble server, just to test it out). I want to use Linux (Ubuntu; I want to learn more about using Linux), but I have some questions that I think some of you could help me with.

My main question: Is the OFP Linux server supposed to be installed in a server version of Linux, or can it be installed in, say, the desktop version of Ubuntu?

Other questions I have I'm trying to work through before asking them. . .

Any pointers you can give will be much appreciated.

(The main reason I'm wanting to set this up is to learn more about Linux and networking. Just to clarify, I just want to see how this stuff works.)

Thanks, folks, for any help!
The only difference between server and workstation/desktop is the missing graphical interface like KDE/Gnome or whatever and the programs running on that.

So on server you normally only have the console and programs running in the console.

If you want to learn linux, start with the workstation/desktop so that you have the klicki-bunti-feeling of windows.

But you have to learn to use the console. If you know a bit of old DOS times, it's easier to get into the console. If you only know Windows, the best is to buy a book about linux.

Also the most configuration of programs is done in text-files and not in the graphical part.

You will need a lot more time to learn linux than working with windows. And you should read a lot. Learning by doing is not good in linux. It can work in windows, but not in linux. If you don't want to read a lot of articles/howtos, you never will learn linux.

But one thing is much better in linux than in windows: you find a lot of helpful how-tos which you can use with copy & paste (only few changes needed). You find a solution for every problem if you know how to search.

One good site is http://www.howtoforge.com with a lot of good how-tos and forums. Look for the good perfect server setup howto for ubuntu and a lot more.
Check THIS page and HERE.
I'm just installing a new server (Ubuntu 9.04) coz no more updates on my old. And a "if-this-is-your-first-time-server-setup" advice: don't use Kegetys minimal install-files, use your complete OFP-install Smile
This guide is for OFP server setup in Ubuntu 7, might be helpful:
http://www.elisanet.fi/fdf/en/help_serverlinux.html

The only difficult part is getting the right libraries active so the server doesn't crash. If the mod configs make use of include files, you might have to do some digging to find them out and make some links or copies of the files to different dirs to get them working properly on Linux.

Don't forget all the file names must be lowercase, including mission files.
(06-02-2009, 12:33 PM)Pulverizer link Wrote: [ -> ]Don't forget all the file names must be lowercase, including mission files.

Don't let Pulv scare you Anguis, use program tolower included in server archive Wink
Thanks, guys!

Lobanak, based on what you mentioned, should I consider Ubuntu Desktop edition the "best of both worlds" - server and desktop OS? Should I consider Ubuntu Desktop to be really Ubuntu Server, but with GUI tools? I do have a bunch of DOS experience, so using the command line should be fun. I like your advice about books - I have a few of the O'Reilly books to help me out (I learned DOS through an old Tandy manual). Thanks for the howtoforge tip.

Overlord, are you using Ubuntu Server or Desktop? Are you installing the OFP server onto it? Regarding tolower, what server archive do you mean? Thanks for the Kegetys pointer - I had been planning on using
his packager - now, I won't.

Pulverizer, what is an 'include file'? Thanks for the note about lowercase filenames.

Thanks, again, folks! I'll in the Linux/OFP server salt-mines soon enough!
well, I started with Ubuntu server which I installed gnome on Tongue, so now it's desktop Smile
Archive is the Linux Server archive (here). Inside is most of what u need (included tolower) which convert all capital letters to lowercase (type ./tolower in terminal, just like plain old DOS)

I copied the files needed tonight but I think I need "un-altered" files. I'm afraid I installed WGL compass in original files ....

Give me a shout if you don't find the lib-files u need on Osku's site
(06-03-2009, 04:48 AM)Overlord link Wrote: [ -> ]well, I started with Ubuntu server which I installed gnome on Tongue, so now it's desktop Smile

LOL! Big Grin
(06-03-2009, 03:46 AM)Anguis link Wrote: [ -> ]Pulverizer, what is an 'include file'? Thanks for the note about lowercase filenames.

Include file is a file (usually .hpp) that is included to an addon / mod config.cpp with the #include command like #include "cfgVehicles.hpp"

It's basically just a way of dividing a large config into manageable logical chunks, or avoiding repetition of code.
Thanks, Pulverizer - great explanation!
Server normally is without gui and installs several servers (web / mail / ftp and so on). On Desktop they are not installed, but GUI and programs are installed.

If you want to do some web-development beside hosting a server on your own or want some private websites hosted, use server. For easier handling if you work directly at the machine, use desktop and server.

I use debian here and my server which is used for the CiA ofp-server and all other web related stuff is also debian. There is no difference between server and desktop. The minimal system has nothing of both, only necessary stuff and I have decided what to use.

For the beginning choose what you want. I think Desktop is best. You can install all necessary things you need later on by hand.
All right, guys, I finally got this project back up and running (time flies when you're having fun!). I've pretty much followed the advice on Osku's site (though, I've kept things vanilla, for now), the benu post, and the bistudio wiki. I'm able to start the server with no error messages, but I'm not sure what's happening. Here's what happens in the terminal when I start/stop things:
Quote:ofp@joel-desktop:~/ofp$ sudo ./ofpserver start
Starting OFP server...
ofp@joel-desktop:~/ofp$ nohup: redirecting stderr to stdout
sudo ./ofpserver stop
[sudo] password for ofp:
Stopping OFP server...
ofp@joel-desktop:~/ofp$

Here's what's showing up in log.2302.txt:
Quote:WATCHDOG (2704): [Tue Feb 22 13:22:11 CST 2011] Starting server (port 2302)...
No entry 'config.bin.CfgAddons'.
13:22:12 Dedicated server created, memory used: 3900 KB
Operation Flashpoint Console version 1.96: port 2302 - Sockets
13:22:14 Server identity created
WATCHDOG (2744): [Tue Feb 22 13:29:18 CST 2011] Starting server (port 2302)...
No entry 'config.bin.CfgAddons'.
13:29:18 Dedicated server created, memory used: 3900 KB
Operation Flashpoint Console version 1.96: port 2302 - Sockets
13:29:20 Server identity created

No other feedback is provided.
And I can't find the server in the ofp multiplayer list on another computer.

Now, here are some probably significant conditions of the server setup:

1. The computer on which the server is running connects to my network via wifi (the ethernet port doesn't work very well), so it's behind a wireless router.
2.The server is running in its own admin account (though, not its own partition).
3. The OS is Ubuntu 10.04, Desktop.

What should I be aware of with this setup?

Thanks for the help!
Why do you use sudo? Nohup is nothing to worry about, but the config stuff might need attention. Can you "DMZ" server ip?
(02-23-2011, 10:49 PM)Overlord link Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you use sudo? Nohup is nothing to worry about, but the config stuff might need attention. Can you "DMZ" server ip?

This is what shows up when I don't use sudo:
Quote:ofp@joel-desktop:~/ofp$ ./ofpserver start
Starting OFP server...
./ofpserver: line 31: /var/run/ofp_server.2302.run: Permission denied
ofp@joel-desktop:~/ofp$ nohup: redirecting stderr to stdout

What dos it mean to 'DMZ' the server ip?

Edit:
Should I be returned to the prompt after starting the server? At present, I am not - I'm only returned to the prompt after stopping it.
I forgot the  config note is in the log.
Quote:./ofpserver: line 31: /var/run/ofp_server.2302.run: Permission denied

the user running the server is not allowed to write in the driectory.

do a "chmod 777 /var/run" as root-user. With this everybody can write in the directory. This is not a problem.

If you want to know what happens at the server, there is a file called xyz.2302.log (don't know what is xyz at the moment). There you can see the info of the server.

with "tail -100f xyz.2302.log" you can see the info in real-time. press CTRL+C to exit.

do you have a config file for the server? there you can enable/disable the thing with beeing visible in the server list or not.
Pages: 1 2