Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Good evening
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Yes, I know that I´m not the newest player here but I just felt that I could write something onto this topic. It´s not a big surprise if I say first that I have been a huge fan of Operation Flashpoint since the day I got it. That day was though maybe half year after it had been first released. I and my brother did not have a very powerful computer then and the game used to crash quite often and it was somewhat painful to play sometimes but when it worked it was such a pleasure and I really enjoyed it.

I can still recall the immersive campaign missions especially the one where you started alone in the forest and you had to find your way out from it to the safe zone and Russian soldiers were coming from everywhere. At least it felt like that. It was so amazing when you had a possibility to move in such a big game world without restrictions. I remember that at that time one of my school friends in upper secondary school played it already then in multiplayer and I heard sometimes funny stories about death match sniping etc. I think he was a member of FinP clan later on. I had only chance to play it in single player mode though because broadband internet connections were very uncommon and expensive in the country side where I used to live then. So couple first years with Flashpoint went just playing single player campaign and maps.

After I had started my uni studies and moved away from home to my first student flat which had superb internet connection and bought my first own computer I started to play ofp again when I had bought GOTY-edition with 10 euros. That computer wasn’t very good either but it was better than nothing. Though Flashpoint didn’t work well enough on it and I gave up with it. Finally, just something like two and half years ago I got almost state of the art pc (atleast for me) of the time and it was not hard to guess what did I do first.

Somehow I finally found my way into also multiplayer games after playing Resistance, Red Hammer and FDF single player campaigns. I knew right from the start that death matches are meant for someone else than me. So it was co-op time, time to shoot AI´s with other humans. I played mostly in LOL server and also a little in Recon server and I liked it then. But co-op games especially in the first mentioned server were quite often something else than real co-op. Well, we players had same enemies and we saw other players first and last time when game started but something was definitely missing. Luckily there were also couple players that tried their best to keep it together and maintain real co-op style of game. These players were gum and Hawke especially :]. At last gaming there started to be too frustrating when some not mentioned players ruined the mission too often by acting stupid and childish. Luckily someone of these real co-op oriented guys (whose name I don’t remember now) gave a hint about something more serious and better to try. So finally I want to thank all of you CiA people for the opportunity to play here. It surely has been a big and good leap from other servers so thanks about it! That’s my story about Operation Flashpoint so far.

Best Wishes,
slash [fin]
Hey Slash, Great read!

You were one of the first players I met online when I first started on the CiA server. Guys like you and other co-op minded players on the CiA server kept me enthusiastic and coming back! Smile
I feel the same way towards coop and the feel of the CiA server. Players like you are exactly what we need here on CiA.
hehe slasho, i am so pleased i've met u, u rock pal.

BIG HUG

ps: who is Hawke?  ;D
Thanks for the comments. Because of that I grilled some sausages for you, i hope you enjoy it. That small steak is for me Wink

[Image: f6252a39745758.gif]
that's what i call a "vintage" BBQ.

(is that a soy stake?)

Quote: link=topic=1792.msg8999#msg8999 date=1245614644]
Thanks for the comments. Because of that I grilled some sausages for you, i hope you enjoy it. That small steak is for me Wink

[Image: f6252a39745758.gif]

Nice lake, any fish in it?
gum:
Yep, quite primitive cooking because it was easier to carry couple of firewood’s than fully equipped kitchen into the nature. It was traditional midsummer party last weekend (just another holiday that is an excuse for a lot of drinking).
(no, it was a processed mincemeat steak that needed only warming a bit. What a lazy chef...)

Marto:
Actually it is a river and there are fishes in it (e.g. pike).
I also started OFP in the early days. Got a hacked copy of CWC 1.20 and ran it on a low end PC. The graphics looked bad at 640x480 in 16 colors but I saw OFP had good potential. The free roaming feature I think is what hooked me the most. I was impressed enough to go out and buy a copy of Cold War Crisis. I played through the entire campaign and wanted more. I then bought the resistance pack as addons comming out required it. BAS, FDF, SwissMod, SFP, BWMOD were all highly impressive. I kept upgrading PC's, getting better graphics and performance.

I finally felt I was ready for some MP play. The first server I played on, like Slash was LOL Funhose. I also moved around to Vet Squad, Recon, and others. One day I thought I would give a Finmod server a try. I can't remember if it was Karhokpola or CIA. I saw MR. Whoope playing there who I knew from LOL server so I thought I would give it a try, but the game lagged so much I had to quit it. Another day I tried again and I came back off and on over several years. I got on to Pulverizers EWE FDF/WGL servers here and there. I liked CIA's approach of following the group leader instead of running around like chickens with their heads cut off ( as Overlord likes to say). This style was similar to the way Shack Tactical played WGL. Now that CIA has added WGL to the server I continue to return for good coop play with good soldiers.

Excellent topic! Since I already missed this coop night I may share my own first OFP experience, in my broken English, indeed.

First thing that I have tried when I got the game was Resistance campaign. After a long cutscene my first mission was simple, to get from point A to point B. I was in a very east-European looking city waiting for a bus. That was by itself something that I least expected from some game - to make me wait for a public transport. Yeah, mission offered me choice to go by motorbike, but I was really curious to see how will bus ride go. And this was supposed to be a military simulator, how is waiting for a bus fitting into that?! Looking to a bus station panel I saw a time table, and watch showed me what time is it. Bus arrived on time - very unlikely to happen in my country - so I took a ride, in a bus where I saw some of the most common people that I have ever seen in some game. After a while there were news on the radio of the political situation in the country, and passengers were commenting on that. Really, more than any game some far, OFP got me  immersed in a situation that I found to be very believable, realitic to the point of triviality.  At the end of a ride I went to my work place, some office job it seemed. It was only an hour later or so that some real action started, and it was hard as hell, I died a lot, and I found that the game was really difficult, but that's another story. But the point is that this starting experience really gave me some other perspective on world of games/simulators that no other game gave me before. And that bus ride was trivial and yet unforgettable.

Yeah, later I tried various mods, multiplayer and stuff and had a lot of fun. These days I'm playing Arma 2 but I still want to play OFP, game that showed me all that one game might be.
Those were nice stories Zulu1 and Misha Smile
EWE was very nice place to play, many good games there also.