Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Interesting ArmA2 thread in the official forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Waiting for....

Asus Crosshair III Formula - 790FX/AM3
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz BE 125W
OCZ BE 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800
SSD X25-M MLC 2.5 - 80 gB - SATA-300
XFX Radeon 5750

might give ArmA2 a boost?
Yes, Overlord, that sounds cool, but we will be also needing some patches for the game, I think. I just hope you won't run into any problems. Bohemia still have long way to go, if they plan to achieve as high version number as the old OFP has (1.96).  Big Grin

Anyway, one of my graphic problems I was talking earlier is this:
It's like having two textures for each object: low- and high quality, and there's nothing in between.
In example: if I look a vehicle, let's say from about 100 meters away - the texture looks blurry, and sometimes it's hard to even recognize that vehicle. If I zoom with right-click or look it through weapon optic, the texture becomes immediately accurate and clear. It can be repeated infinite times, and this is not about file caching, not harddisk performance issue (as I suspected earlier), it's clearly how LOD works in Arma2 on some systems.

I found many people writing about this on internet forums, but no-one seems to have working solution to this. Different kind of rigs seem to have this issue, and no matter is Nvidia or Ati card onboard.  For me lowering Texture detail definately escalates this issue, so I'm trying to keep it on "High". Some particular houses have the same problem - they can even change the color of their walls (thankfully this is very rare thing to happen).

btw. as for a tip: I also noticed that anti-aliasing setting "Low" looks still nice, but gives significant performance boost if you had it earlier in Normal, or higher.

The video you posted exactly shows the problem I have too Osku. It's not only hard to recognise vehicles - let alone their exact type - but also (enemy) soldiers withouth any form of zoom (binoculars, weapon sights, right mouse button in first person view).

It's almost impossible for me to spot and identify enemy units beyond ~70 meters.
Yeah, that was one of the things that I didn't like seeing in Arma1 - the weird LOD transitions in the trees. I hated it in OFP, but not as much as in Arma. I got rid of it entirely in OFP by changing

visualQuality=0.005000 in userinfo.cfg to visualQuality=0.000500

Unfortunately, that dropped my FPS by about 30+. Things looked great! Too slow, though, so it was back to the flickering trees, which I've gotten used to and don't notice so much, any more.

Any "visualQuality=. . ." in Arma2? If so, what does messing with it do?

Edit: Holy crap, OL! That looks like a monster!
If anyone experience CTDs- try disabling Hyper Threading (HT) in your Bios. It solved a serious crashing problem for me.
Thanks Anguis, parts arrived Norway today, hope to have them at home in a day or two.
(01-11-2010, 04:07 PM)Osku link Wrote: [ -> ]one of my graphic problems I was talking earlier ...

Could [i]this be of interest Osku?
(01-13-2010, 08:11 AM)Overlord link Wrote: [ -> ][quote author=Osku link=topic=1947.msg11314#msg11314 date=1263218861] one of my graphic problems I was talking earlier ...

Could [i]this be of interest Osku?
[/quote]

Indeed. Thanks! I'm going to try that...
(01-08-2010, 11:09 PM)Overlord link Wrote: [ -> ]Waiting for....

XFX Radeon 5750

might give ArmA2 a boost?

Building......  Tongue Tongue Tongue
Can you give feedback when you tried this out Osku?
(01-16-2010, 08:58 AM)Zwobot link Wrote: [ -> ]Can you give feedback when you tried this out Osku?

Yes sure. As I understood, the "Object drawing distance tweak" affects only objects drawing in high view distances, something like 2000-3000m. I use VD only ~1600m. And our problems seems to be objects in very close. I downloaded those PBOs anyway, and didn't notice any change on this issue. I assume that placing them in a mod folder was correct way to use them - readme files didn't help much...

BUT, I also found on the same download page "Resistance Vegetation Replacement". That totally fixed my problem with the trees/bushes, now they look like they should! On all distances... no more changing LODs. Yay! Now I would like see similar tweak for vehicles as well...
btw. I haven't tried it yet in multiplayer, but I guess it might bring some problems - especially on servers, which don't allow addons.  ???
Tanks for the tip Osku, I'll try it too. Gonna install ArmA2 now.

(01-08-2010, 11:09 PM)Overlord link Wrote: [ -> ]Waiting for....
XFX Radeon 5750
Building......  Tongue Tongue Tongue

20 sec. after I press [POWER] button W7 is up and running 8)
Pages: 1 2