Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: How to bring OFP as close to VBS as possible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I was wondering how to pimp up OPF:R so that is as close to VBS 1 as possible. I am searching for addons both game mechanic wise and graphical enhancements, that bring OFP a couple of years forward and do not break because of incompatibility.

On the BI Forums I got already one response, but then my thread was closed by one of the moderators. The replying author told me to get

TOP1 and OPERA 1
essentialy VBS for OFP but I have never figured out how to use it.
http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=10097

What addons and modifications, both asset wise and graphic wise, would You recommend?
Not sure exactly what you mean, afaik there is no major differences between the two, only that VBS is mainly for the military market with some units more suitable for them?

I suggest you try out some addons or mods like BAS addon to get more up-to-date units and weapons or a mod like WGL with loads of "new" features compared to OFP:R (leaning, rolling, better tuned weapons and vehicles).
FDF might be a better graphical mod (better islands and units) but WGL is more realistic (closest you can come to ArmA(2) I guess).
If you want a really shiny mod try FFUR or SLX, great mods but, sadly enough, not playable online.
(11-01-2009, 09:55 PM)Overlord link Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure exactly what you mean, afaik there is no major differences between the two, only that VBS is mainly for the military market with some units more suitable for them?

I suggest you try out some addons or mods like BAS addon to get more up-to-date units and weapons or a mod like WGL with loads of "new" features compared to OFP:R (leaning, rolling, better tuned weapons and vehicles).
FDF might be a better graphical mod (better islands and units) but WGL is more realistic (closest you can come to ArmA(2) I guess).
If you want a really shiny mod try FFUR or SLX, great mods but, sadly enough, not playable online.
Not too sure about FFUR 2007 2.5v I've seen youtube videos of people playing coop with that mod.
Haven't tried it tho because none of my friends  don't have that mod :/
It's my understanding that WGL is as close to VBS as OFP gets - W, the lead WGL developer, apparently was a VBS developer, as well.
Marto definitely could shed some light on this topic.
Hello,

thank Your for Your replies. I should have made my questions more precise.

1) I have had already a go at WGL. I liked it very much from the point of gameplay, especially in terms of Helicopter flying. However, I am not sure if there is a way to update the looks of all units/weapons consistently to a visual higher quality. Is that doable? Is there a chance to include BAS SF units into WGL?

2) I like the Tonal mod by BAS very much. It adds a lot of atmoshere to the game. Also, the Tonal SF addon is quite nice.

3)  I was told that the ECP is also a good choice for modifying OPF. However, it seems that it keeps all the units untouched.

- I have head that there is a EECP mod and a ECP Redux mod, that add graphical enhancements to ECPs changes. Do You know where I could download those? How does ECP fare against WGL? Or are they both combinable?

4) I did not have a look at FFUR 2007 yet. It seems there are many themed packages (desert, winter, woodland..). Is FFUR combinable with ECP?

In a way, I am lost in the many possibilites of modifying OPF, since I can not find many comparative reviews when it comes to mods.

Cheers,

wuschel

p.s.: By the way, are You guys still playing OFP online? Are there any missions which are comparable to CTI+Project Reality?
Hello wuschel,

(11-02-2009, 10:26 AM)wuschel link Wrote: [ -> ]1) I have had already a go at WGL. I liked it very much from the point of gameplay, especially in terms of Helicopter flying. However, I am not sure if there is a way to update the looks of all units/weapons consistently to a visual higher quality. Is that doable? Is there a chance to include BAS SF units into WGL?
You can replace the WGL default models (units, vehicles, weapons) with BAS models or any other model you like. The unit stats remain unaffected by that.

(11-02-2009, 10:26 AM)wuschel link Wrote: [ -> ]- I have head that there is a EECP mod and a ECP Redux mod, that add graphical enhancements to ECPs changes. Do You know where I could download those? How does ECP fare against WGL? Or are they both combinable?
No! You cannot combinde ECP or any other mod with an own config (e. g. FDF) with WGL or vice versa.

(11-02-2009, 10:26 AM)wuschel link Wrote: [ -> ]4) I did not have a look at FFUR 2007 yet. It seems there are many themed packages (desert, winter, woodland..). Is FFUR combinable with ECP?
I have never used FFUR so I don't know for sure if it has it's own config but I bet it does so the answer is No again (but don't cite me on this).

(11-02-2009, 10:26 AM)wuschel link Wrote: [ -> ]p.s.: By the way, are You guys still playing OFP online? Are there any missions which are comparable to CTI+Project Reality?
Yes we still play Ofp. FDF coop nights are on Wednesdays and WGL is on Sundays. We don't have and don't play CTI missions on our Ofp server though.
Quote:TOP1 and OPERA 1
essentialy VBS for OFP but I have never figured out how to use it.
http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=10097

From what I remember TOP1 and OPERA1 are command engine type missions where you control multilple groups on the map, much like CoC CCE. It gets rather involved, I prefer the old solo player mode  ;D. As the others have said WGL is as close to VBS as it gets. If you want sharper looking units and weapons you can use models replacements, RYAN, DMA, BW_Mod, and SFP4 for units and the AT replacement for weapons.
You can update the WGL soldier and weapon models: cf. WGL configs replacement forum. I run and recommend the 'Ryan' and 'AT' model replacements. I can't remember where the Ryan models are - if I can find them, I'll update the post. Modding WGL in this way is 'multiplayer-friendly'.

As for FFUR (FFSX 2007, really), it's fun, but killer on system resources. FFSX85 is nice, too. I like combining WGL+SLX better. Pretty much single-player, though. . . SLX forms part of the FFUR releases and provides, amongst other things,  enhanced AI effects (communication, pursuit into buildings, dragging wounded, etc. . .).

ECP is great, too - I recommend combining it w/ Sanctuary's GRAA 3 mod. You can wait for him to release his new version of his ww4 mod, as well - I think he's mentioned it'll include an ECP mod config. The EECP project was dropped, which is a shame b/c it intended the model changes you want. I don't know about ECP Redux - sounds familiar, though.

I'm not sure, but, I think at one point, I might have had WGL and ECP combined, as well. Combining mods like WGL, GRAA, SLX, and ECP requires changing the configs - make backups.

Lastly, I recommend using Mr. Burns' AEC Islands. cf. pictures on p. 216 of the CiA thread in the official multiplayer forums.

Modding OFP, at this point, could provide material for a doctoral dissertation. . .
If you want ofp to have better graphics then i suggest you see the Kegetys' DXDLL (1.0)
WGL is the way to go. Everything else is nice but cartoonish.

WGL has the best ballistics simulation for all callibre weapons.

You could always convert all other units vehicles weapons etc so they fire WGL weapons and ammunition, and have WGL effects, just email the original addon maker and I'm sure they give permission.

Handsignals system is nice too but complicated and I don't know if it's multiplayer compatible. How fun would it be playing some of those black op missions using hand signal only...... Wink

CoC arty is an awesome addon, pity the mortar I/A fire missions are screwed....
I am surprised. So many replies in such a short time.. OPF is far from dead. Not surprising, given the sluggish gameplay features in ARMA even with the ACE mod, and the high hardware requirements for ARMA 2.

I have downloaded plenty of stuff today. Thank You for the hints. The Ryan graphic package is very nice. And, yes, WGL is definatly the way to go in terms of gameplay. Still, it is a pity that ECP Redux was stopped due to copyright issues, and that the original author did not bother to ask the owners of the addons for permission. Did anyone download when it was released centuries ago? How was it?

I still have a couple of questions left:

1. The WGL featured on the C.I.A site does not have an addon list included? What type of addons and texture replacements are installed in the package provided? Are the any texture replacement (see WGL homepage) packs included? Is CoC Unified Artillery installed?

If yes, it seems that Your download is a much more convienient package with a lot more missions included.

2. Does anyone of You have a working download of

- CoC Enemystack
- Dynamic AI Creator (DAC) and Zonewriter

Thanks for all the counceling,

wuschel
(11-03-2009, 05:08 PM)wuschel link Wrote: [ -> ]1. The WGL featured on the C.I.A site does not have an addon list included? What type of addons and texture replacements are installed in the package provided? Are the any texture replacement (see WGL homepage) packs included? Is CoC Unified Artillery installed?
No texture replacement mods are included in the ciawgl package. Those replacements only effect the client side anyway.
Yes, the CoC UA is installed on the server and included in the ciawgl package in version 1.1

(11-03-2009, 05:08 PM)wuschel link Wrote: [ -> ]2. Does anyone of You have a working download of
- CoC Enemystack
- Dynamic AI Creator (DAC) and Zonewriter
With CoC Enemystack you mean the AI on demand? It indeed is hard to get nowadays but I got it on my HDD and can upload it if that is what you are looking for.

DAC is still available in the archvies of Mapfact.net
(11-03-2009, 05:08 PM)wuschel link Wrote: [ -> ]I am surprised. So many replies in such a short time.. OPF is far from dead...

Naw.. we are just a bunch of orthodox OFP mullahs  Wink
Update: It seems that there is a download for ECP Redux after all. Since there have been a couple of issues with the release on the Bohemia Interactive Forums, I am not going to post the download link.