Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Firing modes in WGL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It seems to me that every OFP player worth his (or her!) salt fires basic rifles such as M16 & AK74 almost solely on singe-shot semiauto. 3-Round Burst is just too inaccurate due to recoil, and it goes through ammo way too fast. The Full Auto mode for the AKs is even worse. These modes are at best useful at extremely close range.

That, at least, holds true for vanilla OFP:R and many mods (including FDF and BAS, I think). But what about WGL? Enemy soldiers seem obnoxiously difficult to take down on semi-auto. According to the WGL website, not only did they make many rifles less powerful and accurate, they also made the field of view wider and disabled right mouse button zoom. On the other hand, machine guns seem to have been made much more effective, at least in human hands. That suggests that automatic fire modes for basic rifles might be useful again.

But my experience is too limited to tell for sure. So what do you guys think? Is semi-auto still to be recommended for all engagements further away than 50 meters, or do burst and auto settings have more of a use now? Knowing this could be rather important in the heat of battle, and I have a hunch that I'm not the only one who isn't sure.  Tongue
Don't have much experience in WGL but IRL i was taught that it is semi all the way. Handling Auto modes in assault rifles was not even something we were taught. If it's realistic as it claims to be, in WGL it is the same.
I almost never use the 3-round burst firing mode of the WGL M16 even in close quarters or inside houses. The full-atuo firing modes of the other assault rifles are pretty easy to control but I don't use them much either. It is comfortable to switch to full-atuo firing mode and use it as if it was semi-auto at long distances and pull the trigger longer if needed in close quarters or clearing houses which is quite possible due to the reduced recoils of the WGL assault rifles compared to their FDF counterparts.
My own experience is that semi is better on long range in WGL, And on long ranges a ussuly just fire a few semi more rounds at the enemy.(they should be more concentrated than a auto burst)
A seldom use auto on any distence above 50m.
(11-08-2009, 06:25 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]Don't have much experience in WGL but IRL i was taught that it is semi all the way. Handling Auto modes in assault rifles was not even something we were taught.
Same experiences here.
my real life experience

only ever used fully auto when clearing enemy positions after the grenades have gone off, fully auto big no no at room clearance due to ricochets, and even bigger no no at range, theres just no control of the rifles muzzle position when on auto not sure what 3-round burst is like to control our rifles are only single or full auto

in the ofp world i find the full auto rifles quite accurate when squeezing off bursts
my experience (in ofp of course; i have never touched a rifle in my hole life and that is better because someone could have got injured):

shooting from a distance on still targets or tagets that move along my fireing line (towards me or away from me): manual fire.

shooting from a distance on targets that are moving perpendicular or with a 45/135 deg angle on my line of fire: semiauto (or single shot....if they are quite close).

approacing a ridge with possible enemy popping up from behind at a close distance: semiauto

entering a house or dealing with nme incoming at a superclose distance: auto (with the bible in my pocket)
thats some good strategies you got there
I read something once comparing vanillia OFP and WGL in regards to firing. It said typically with a 3 round semi auto volley in plain OFP you could hit a target at a moderate distance. With the same distance in WGL you would need more like a 5 round volley. In my playing experience I find this holds fairly true for an unsuppressed M4 or M16.

When it comes to a M4Sup. at medium to close range I like to go full auto, firing in short bursts. Entering a house or at extremely close range got to go to the side arm, with a rifle you don't have the dexterity to move around quickly.  
(11-11-2009, 04:47 AM)Zulu1 link Wrote: [ -> ]Entering a house or at extremely close range got to go to the side arm, with a rifle you don't have the dexterity to move around quickly. 

u don't need dexterity to spread a full mag shuffling your rifle in front of u like blind Wink

true what u say zulu, but often side arms are too weak in ofp and head shots are hard to achieve......(here comes dexterity again  Wink )
Nades in any variety is also an option for the one who dare (with no refer whatsoever to my skills.. ) Wink
What skills?
(11-11-2009, 11:29 PM)Hawke link Wrote: [ -> ]What skills?
The ability to either manage to get myself injured almost sooner than any medic can heal or the ability to command my squad in front me and use them as live targets at GL practice... (all in same mission) You choose Tongue
I must agree wite you OL that demands skills
(11-12-2009, 01:59 AM)Overlord link Wrote: [ -> ][quote author=Hawke link=topic=1965.msg10377#msg10377 date=1257974980]
What skills?
The ability to either manage to get myself injured almost sooner than any medic can heal or the ability to command my squad in front me and use them as live targets at GL practice... (all in same mission) You choose Tongue
[/quote]

You'd never sacrifice your valiant medic, without him you're doomed. But I'll give you a D minus for trying.
Pages: 1 2