Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Why DX ain't released for Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[url=

My first reaction was "wow", but my second was "what a kitsch fest!". User shouldn't be allowed to that to their desktops! Windows has limited ability for customizing desktop but at least users won't make such a mess of it. I'm joking, but in a semi-serious way.

But yeah, would be great if we could get rid of the Windows and DirectX.

Ok the technology is nice, but I have to agree with Misha, It's too much! My eyes hurt now.
Big Grin
Totally agree with both of you. Can't really imagine someone is working with a desktop like this, I guess the guy mostly made it as a Show-Off. But it shows the ability and power in Linux, even without DX. Let's hope hardcore coders discovers this too (but if I'm right, M$ lube game developers using only DX)
Linux has DX... Only, it's called OpenGL  They are very similar with OpenGL just not having the commercial market share and support that DX has from MS and a whole lot of developers and publishers. I don't think arma would run any better in a linux box vs a Windows box as long as you have turned off all unnecessary services running in the background.  It's a pretty show though, none the less.
Sorry Ajax, have to disagree with you here. OpenGL is a totally different than DX. I use Open GL with some video apps in Windows, and see the power of it. One of the reasons DX could be nice to use, is for the inbuilt support for e.g. game controllers, sounds and USB management (witch strictly should be an OS issue), while OpenGL concentrate on GFX.