Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: SLX AI....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SLX AI in multiplayer? You must be mad!.... is what my instincts told me. However, I went through more scripts than I ever want to see in one place again and it turns out that if I take certain things out of SLX, but just leave the AI bits like supressive fire and be suppressed and calling support and artillery, I could make our lives more.... "interesting".

Here is the file:

http://www.filefront.com/15163677/SLX_GL3.pbo

All you have to do is go into the config, find WGL_Men_EventHandlers and overwrite the "init" section with this:

init  = "_this exec {\SLX_GL3\SLX_Init_GL3.sqs};_this exec{\wglevents\wglinit.sqs};if(format[{%1},wgl_On]=={scalar bool array string 0xfcffffef})then{_this call loadfile{\wgl_zm\wgl_zinit.sqf};};_this call loadfile{\wgl_zm\men\men_init.sqf};VBS_AAR_path={\};VBS_core_path={\};VBS_OBS_path={\};VBS_VESL_path={\};VBS_init=nil;VBS_trig=nil";

I suggest you have a try and see what its like.  ;D
I guess you can extract scripts (one by one) and get them to work in MP but do they improve something? As SLX guys clearly have stated, SLX ain't built for MP, only SP (too pity if you ask me).

There is one problem with overwriting/ editing MODs config (e.g. WGL/ FDF), the whole MOD can totally screw up...
One of the benefits using a complete MOD is that you KNOW it works when you wanna play. When you start modifying configs you can't expect other players to wait for you in MP setup until you have sorted out your configs (cause you (likely) won't be able to play on the server).

Don't read this as any kind of treath or something MJ, it's just to clearify why modding MODs ain't a good idea Smile
And I guess several grouplink scripts (fully MP compatible) do the same thing Wink
Mjolnir, if this works, and if we had the karma system up and running, I'd give you 11 'Applauds'! I have WGL+SLX working in SP and it's a lot of fun; MP would be sort of a 'Holy Grail'.

How do you know that this works? Have you tested it? How could I help you test it?
What all from GL3 have you left in? Anything else from SLX working?
Would it be possible to extract this as script (.sqs) instead of .pbo? Then it soon would be more interesting.. Wink
SLX has never been proven in MP before. Can't hurt to try, but I got a lot of lag in the past just playing it in SP. Maybe with some tweaking it could work ok?
1. I could get it to just be scripts, but there would still need to be some form of addon for the invisible targets. Also, with it in the form it means that it will work on any mission without needing to modify the mission.
2. All that is left of the SLX scripts are the group link section. This is the calling for help and tactical section, along with building garrisoning.
3. The lag in SLX comes from the wounds section. There is a set of scripts in the wounds section to make the AI find the nearest wounded person to help which generate massive lag due to certain functions. So far I have had very little problems with lag.
4. Im currently going through all the scripts with a fine tooth comb, finding which ones I need and altering to work in MP where needed.

As to what it does, in my testing Ive pinned AI squads, been flnking them and then suddenly have 2 enemy squads appear from a different direction and a tank from a third come and attack me. This lead to me taking cover in a hollow out of the line of fire. They continued to fire on me, while one of the squad charged towards me and overran me.

I just had another game where all I did was place a platoon of Russians vs a couple of squads of West troops. There was a grand total of 1 move waypoint, and it ended with the Russians surrounding me and the rest of the west troops and slowly moving in and then killing us. Was great fun and lasted 15mins.
(12-19-2009, 07:56 AM)Zulu1 link Wrote: [ -> ]SLX has never been proven in MP before. Can't hurt to try, but I got a lot of lag in the past just playing it in SP. Maybe with some tweaking it could work ok?

One thing to note, somewhere in the SLX thread in the bis forums, a member of an Australian (I think) squad posted a bug related to WGL+SLX multiplayer (involved invisible satchels, I think). What's interesting is he doesn't mention any other problems (as far as I can remember). Solus responded and added a fix of that specific bug in the next SLX version. There are several reports of other MP problems, throughout the thread, but it does appear that at least one squad got SLX+WGL working in MP. Who knows? Maybe it's doable. . . !
I forget exatly the problem, but I found something wrong with healing from medics. I reported it to Solus, but he left for Arma before getting to it.
Mjolnir, are you basically pulling out GL3 from SLX and have it be stand-alone, like GL2 in OFPEC?

@Zulu1: The timing of things can be a bitch sometimes, right? At least, now, it looks like he's pretty active w/ Arma2.
(12-20-2009, 03:56 PM)Anguis Viridis link Wrote: [ -> ]Mjolnir, are you basically pulling out GL3 from SLX and have it be stand-alone, like GL2 in OFPEC?

Basically this is what Im doing. Im also edititng where needed to make it mp compatible, which isn't much, because the AI sections are already relatively MP compatible.
Interesting prospect.

I suggest you use modified wglevents.pbo->wglinit.sqs for the initialization. Later instance of wglevents.pbo in a mod folder will override the original. It's just neater to have 2 files in 1 folder instead of 2 folders with a bunch of files (the wgl settings and includes under bin that would be duplicated).

If you don't have SLX installed, there's an error message about missing ../ofp/@slx/slx_gl3_settings.sqf

After replacing the missing settings file (for testing sake, I didn't put other slx files in place), I tried it in SP with a quick plt vs plt fight with infantry and armor on both side. Had slx_debug=1 to see what's going on better. It seemed to work okay. Message about missing slx_cloud/fire.p3d soon as stuff started happening. After running for a few minutes of combat it locked OFP completely with a curious slx debug message left on screen that some dude knowsAbout some other dude almost 800 (max is 4.0 iirc). Will try some more later.

---

...later... some more SP testing. Still crashing randomly.

The slx_cloud error might've been because of the debug using drop to visualize stuff. After replacing that, a new error about sound slx_hurt5 not found. That would be in slx_wounds.pbo but that file gives some dependancy error.

The knows about values seem to go up to 1000 on debug messages, that probably had nothing to do with the crash.

Looking at the scripts, there's no way they will work well without some modification. There's references to all sorts of SLX variables, weapons, sounds, gibs etc, which are likely causing the crashes. There's no need for clients to run the scripts, so there need to be some more server checking etc (I think WGL already does these checks to skip effects on deddy so you could tap into those variables).

Btw, WGL does have a variety of invisible targets so there's no reason why this couldn't be a script package for missions instead of an addon. GL3 changes the balancing anyhow, so might as well make new missions with it rather than trying to play the old. That would also ease testing, only the mission file need to be updated on the server after fixes have been made to the scripts and clients need nothing.
Im interested in this MJ. Sounds cool, especially it it could just be installed just like an addon as Pulverizer mentions..
(12-27-2009, 05:32 AM)Pulverizer link Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting prospect.

I suggest you use modified wglevents.pbo->wglinit.sqs for the initialization. Later instance of wglevents.pbo in a mod folder will override the original. It's just neater to have 2 files in 1 folder instead of 2 folders with a bunch of files (the wgl settings and includes under bin that would be duplicated).

If you don't have SLX installed, there's an error message about missing ../ofp/@slx/slx_gl3_settings.sqf

After replacing the missing settings file (for testing sake, I didn't put other slx files in place), I tried it in SP with a quick plt vs plt fight with infantry and armor on both side. Had slx_debug=1 to see what's going on better. It seemed to work okay. Message about missing slx_cloud/fire.p3d soon as stuff started happening. After running for a few minutes of combat it locked OFP completely with a curious slx debug message left on screen that some dude knowsAbout some other dude almost 800 (max is 4.0 iirc). Will try some more later.

---

...later... some more SP testing. Still crashing randomly.

The slx_cloud error might've been because of the debug using drop to visualize stuff. After replacing that, a new error about sound slx_hurt5 not found. That would be in slx_wounds.pbo but that file gives some dependancy error.

The knows about values seem to go up to 1000 on debug messages, that probably had nothing to do with the crash.

Looking at the scripts, there's no way they will work well without some modification. There's references to all sorts of SLX variables, weapons, sounds, gibs etc, which are likely causing the crashes. There's no need for clients to run the scripts, so there need to be some more server checking etc (I think WGL already does these checks to skip effects on deddy so you could tap into those variables).

Btw, WGL does have a variety of invisible targets so there's no reason why this couldn't be a script package for missions instead of an addon. GL3 changes the balancing anyhow, so might as well make new missions with it rather than trying to play the old. That would also ease testing, only the mission file need to be updated on the server after fixes have been made to the scripts and clients need nothing.

The version uploaded is way out of date compared to the version Im working on now, a lot of the stuff has been sorted out since that version. There are still some odd errors which I need to work out, but it shouldn't be too long before they are fixed.

Also, the slx cloud thing is for the debug to show where invisible targets are.

The problem with WGL invisible targets is that they have a higher priority than the men, so the ai ignores actual enemies in favour of them.