Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: White phosphorus not working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I finally got around to familiarizing myself with how the WGL mortars work. It's actually pretty cool. I thought it was horribly buggy at first, and then I realized I wasn't setting things up right.

I was under the impression, though, that WP smoke did damage to infantry. But I've fired a WP mortar shell, had it land a few hundred meters away, ridden up in a motorcycle and totally immersed myself in the WP smoke, and I come out unscathed. ???

This has been done repeatedly and with all three mortar systems. I've never seen the WP do damage to infantry. Does anyone else seem to be immune to WP smoke?
Apart from the damage caused during/after impact the WP is harmless and only obscures vision (don't know for sure if the AI can see through it).
??? I'm confused because the WGL field manual, p. 6, claims that the mod has

Quote:• White Phosphorus (WP) effects that glow white hot and damage surrounding vehicles, buildings, men
• WP smoke spreads in direction of impact from FFARs
• WP mortars that deliver a large amount of WP for screening and damage infliction

Maybe this was taken out or screwed up in WGL 5.12?

It could be rather useful to know whether WP smoke actually can harm the enemy. If not, it seems only useful for marking.
Can't see anywhere that WP smoke kill.

WP is dangerous (slightly understated) only in impact zone, but WP also produce lot of smoke which can be used for cover. WP is useful in infantry and soft vehicles, bot enemy and friendly. But it works.
:Smile
As Overlord says it does work.

Test it some more.

Put a BMP in the impact area - it won't kill it straight away but it will become damaged slowly especially in the thickest part of the WP impact.

Same with infantry, they wont die straight away if they are not in the immediate impact zone, but they will slowly lose health.

Try running through it...
(01-15-2010, 08:44 PM)Marto link Wrote: [ -> ]Try running through it...

Like I said, I've totally immersed myself in the smoke, and seem to come out completely unscathed. But I didn't think to wait a few minutes even after the smoke is clear. I guess I was expecting it to be like napalm.

I'll try testing it with a BMP. Tongue
Okay, NOW I see how it works. The problem is that the damaging effects of the WP smoke appear to wear off after about 5 or 10 seconds. That's why I couldn't damage myself earlier.

Still, I prefer HE rounds. They have a larger blast radius. An HE round from the Russian 82mm mortar can kill a 12-man squad with standard AI spacing. The WP's damaging effects wear off so quickly that it's unlikely you'll be able to kill any more infantry who walk into its smaller kill zone. WP only seems to be more useful for zeroing in targets and *maybe* for blocking the enemy's field of vision.
(01-16-2010, 03:15 PM)RKDmitriyev link Wrote: [ -> ]WP only seems to be more useful for zeroing in targets and *maybe* for blocking the enemy's field of vision.
Which is it's primary function anyway as far as I know.
WP is also useful against large groups of infantery/ static defense and for self cover (set impact area slightly off your location)
But remember you're not allowed to use it against people... Wink

Officially only against equipment or for screening..... Wink Wink

Some treaty or something...
(01-16-2010, 06:22 PM)Marto link Wrote: [ -> ]But remember you're not allowed to use it against people... Wink

Officially only against equipment or for screening..... Wink Wink

Some treaty or something...

Thats only if your NATO. Im pretty sure that Russia didnt sign that treaty.
Eh, "White phosphorus is not banned by any treaty to which the United States is a signatory." That seems to apply to its anti-personell uses, as well.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/s...ons/wp.htm

Because of some technicality, apparently. It's still some nasty stuff, being both chemically toxic and producing third degree burns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ayman2.jpg

I guess I misunderstood how WP is supposed to work, both IRL and in game. It seems that the WP smoke is rarely lethal, but getting splashed by flaming particles of WP from a shell that just landed produces massive burns.

(01-16-2010, 07:48 PM)RKDmitriyev link Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that the WP smoke is rarely lethal
Won't claim it to be healthy either  ;D
Quote:I guess I misunderstood how WP is supposed to work, both IRL and in game. It seems that the WP smoke is rarely lethal, but getting splashed by flaming particles of WP from a shell that just landed produces massive burns.

What makes it particularly nasty is that it continues to burn after it penetrates the flesh....
Thats right Marto, equipment such as belts, socks, personel weapons, helmets, the guy wearing all that is just colateral damage lol.
Pages: 1 2