Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: How to use six updater to update ACE2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi,

This tutorial is made for SIX_Updater_Suite_v0.3.2_setup but it should work with older or newer versions.

If you downloaded @CBA, @ACE, @ACEX, @ACEX_SM, @ACEX_PLA from armaholic or any other download sites DELETE THEM or this procedure is useless. You are warned so don't yell if it doesn't work.

NB: if you use fire fox refresh or the webpage will show "unable to connect".

Tutorial vid to configure and use RSyn here but it doesn't show how to add the islands or other addon like zeus AIs.

Here's a step by step tutorial on how to use RSyn Updater.

Wtf is this sh*t?
Rsync Updater is a tool for ArmA mods, to streamline the distribution, installation and update process of them.
The tool uses Rsync to perform most of its tasks.

Why the hell should I use it?
It uses realtime delta-patching to only transfer the changes between the mod on the user's computer, and the current server version.
This saves an incredible amount of bandwidth, for both, the servers, and the end-users, and streamlines the whole process of (possible) continuous updates.

OK let's start...

1- Dowload Six Updater Here

2- Install it.

3- Start six updater - GUI.

a) An MS-DOS window is opened.
[Image: mini_860056rsyn1.jpg]

b) After the MS-DOS window is opened this will automaticly open a web interface after a few seconds. If not then browse to http://localhost:16333. If you use win7 run the application "As Administrator". Page may take a bit long to show... so, wait for it. If it is taking too long for you using FireFox refresh the webpage. Or fire up IE and enter http://localhost:16333.
[Image: mini_625901rsyn2.jpg]

4- Ok now we will set the program to don't have to do it everytime.

a) Click on Configuration (Not anything in the submenu). Click on synchromize you don't need a username or password.
[Image: mini_401486rsyn3.jpg]

b) Click Settings in the submenu of Configuration.
[Image: mini_921603rsyn4.jpg]

c) Make sure updater correctly found & setup your Arma2 folder.
[Image: mini_667465rsyn5.jpg]

d) Click Presets in the submenu of Configuration.
[Image: mini_493357rsyn7.jpg]

e) Choose ACE mod Vanillia preset and click the Edit button to the right of it..
[Image: mini_96659rsyn8.jpg]

f) Scroll down to Mods and add the mods you want the updater to manage by choosing them from the list and clicking Add Existing. Press Update, below, when it's done.
[Image: mini_473789rsyn9.jpg]

g) The selected mods should apear in the mods list column.
[Image: mini_584979rsyn10.jpg]

h) Click on main, select the Preset you edited (ACEmod), choose Install or Update from the Action list, untick Autoskip and click Execute.
[Image: mini_912413rsyn11.jpg]

i) A new MS-DOS window should open displaying the install/update process progress. The updater will now install/update automaticly the selected mods in your ArmA2 folder.
[Image: mini_285718rsyn12.jpg]

5- Now that the tool is set correctly you can update your addons at any time.

a) Start six updater - Console.

b) A new MS-DOS window should open displaying the install/update process progress.

This update all the mods.

Create a shortcut or use a launcher and enjoy.

NB: DO NOT change the name of any mod folder or the updater will not reconize them during the next update.

When does the ACE2 team make updates?
During BETA, 18:00 GMT on:
Mondays
Wednesdays
Fridays
Unless severe issues found, then other days might have an hotfix update.

cu.

8) (I just like this emoticon nothing more)

Nikiller.
Another option, which I use and find ridiculously simple, is to use Yoma's addon sync. A simple program that requires clicking on "Find updates" and "Download updates" to be updated. Iv'e attached to this reply the Zeus manual which explains simply how to install this great tool. Oh, and by the way, it's also used as a server monitor and servers search engine, which is a good reason to get it by itself.

Nice guide, Nikiller.
But I agree with Variable, Yoma might be even easier to use. And it has variety of other nice features...

I've downloaded ACE earlier with Yoma, from Kelly's heroes addon server.
It seems to work for me on most of the multiplayer servers, except I've received few no-entry messages (don't know if they are server-side/mission problem)...
I was wondering, do you know if the @CBA/@ACE/@ACEX/@ACEX_SM/@ACEX_PLA are compatible with others, so it doesn't matter from which location you download them?
hi,

(01-18-2010, 04:25 PM)Osku link Wrote:It seems to work for me on most of the multiplayer servers, except I've received few no-entry messages (don't know if they are server-side/mission problem)...
I was wondering, do you know if the @CBA/@ACE/@ACEX/@ACEX_SM/@ACEX_PLA are compatible with others, so it doesn't matter from which location you download them?

It's because addon syn 2009 doesn't update ACE in real time and you have an older version than the server. That's why it's better to use the six updater it's less user friendly, I agree, but it's more reliable. Moreover, you can download/update a lot of other addons like FDF island, zeus AI, sound mods... who are not present on yoma tool or armaholic and that you can only download/update the lastest version with the six updater. You can make a whole addon pack just using it. After it needs a bit work to install six updater on a linux server but when it's done all updates are automatic and you just need to make a rule like the server will be updated every Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays . You'll need to be sure that everybody have the same version of ACE and avoid problem of compatability. You could use equalmod but it isn't very flexible because it doesn't allow to customize your game with clients addons.

here's the solution: the Addon Signatures

Addon signatures are a way to reduce cheating in Armed Assault. They are used to detect data files modified by anyone else but the addon creator. They are based on strong cryptographic principles (private/public key pairs), therefore hacking around them is very hard.
Addon is signed by its creator using a private key, while the public key is used by the game to verify that the addon has not been modified and in our case that it is the right version of the addon.

Player connecting to a checked server is allowed to have present only addons which are signed by accepted signature. Any player not complying to this is detected, and based on server configuration a message in this sense may be displayed, or he may be kicked out, or another action defined by the server admin may be done.

Player cannot do any of the following if he wants to pass signature verification:

-modify signed addons
-use unsigned addons
-use addons which are signed, but not by an accepted signature
-use a wrong version of the addons

If server admin decides addon signatures should be verified, he should add the following line to the server.cfg file:

Code:
verifySignatures=1

Server admin can decide which addon makers he considers trustworthy by placing their public keys in the "keys" directory. Usually (vanilla installation) there's only Bohemia Interactive's signature, called bi.bikey, in this directory. For @ACE the signature is here C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@ACE\keys for @ACEX signature is here C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@ACEX\keys and that is the case for many of the quality addons... If you don't find the signature You can get it at OFPEC. If you can't find the signature at all and really want this addon so you have to create your own key+sign with DSSignFile and DSCreateKey

Admin have to set the server Using addons sign/key and then you can allow mods included in addon pack + some clients addons like draw distance, GUI replacment, GDT... You have to decide which ones you wanna use.

Example1: a client connect with a good version of ACE. Server checks his addons key everything is fine.

Example2: a client connect with a wrong version of ACE. Server checks his addons key, it detects a wrong version, then kick player or another action defined by the server admin may be done.

Example3: a client connect with ACE and SLX. Server checks... it detects SLX then kick player or another action defined by the server admin may be done.

Example4: a client connect with ACE, drawdistance, fullNVG, GUI replacment, GDT or whatever allowed client mods. Server check... ok all signatures are allowed then everything is fine.

Hope it helps.

cu.

Nikiller.
Okay, you got me convinced, I'm switching to Six..  Wink

Just for a tip, if someone runs into this problem: At first, the GUI didn't start on my XP 64-bit edition, it was missing chcp.com. I went to get it from another XP installation (32bit), renamed to chcp.exe, and placed it in C:\Program Files\Six-Updater\tools\ruby\bin - just as Six-Updater told me. After that, it started up fine.
Hola,

i tihnk i have a similar problem. Six doesnt run with my Win7 here. IT just pops up the Dow windows and shuts it down immedialtely. Do you think i can fix it with the chp aswell? If yes, where can i get this file?

Thx + Greets

Tony
hi,

(01-19-2010, 02:10 PM)Fat Tony link Wrote:Hola,

i tihnk i have a similar problem. Six doesnt run with my Win7 here. IT just pops up the Dow windows and shuts it down immedialtely. Do you think i can fix it with the chp aswell? If yes, where can i get this file?

Thx + Greets

Tony

If you use win7/vista run the application "As Administrator". Smile

cu.

Nikiller.
(01-19-2010, 01:32 PM)Osku link Wrote:Just for a tip, if someone runs into this problem: At first, the GUI didn't start on my XP 64-bit edition, it was missing chcp.com. I went to get it from another XP installation (32bit), renamed to chcp.exe, and placed it in C:\Program Files\Six-Updater\tools\ruby\bin - just as Six-Updater told me. After that, it started up fine.

You can always find that file in system32 folder in your windows 64 folder (mine is C:\WIN64\system32). Still a .com file, just copy it into C:\Program Files (x86)\Six-Updater\tools\ruby\bin and rename to chcp.exe. This is also described in Six Updater GUI window (the first DOS window)
Another question about SIX, when I installed on my W64 box it also checked/updated Zeus but it didn't look like it did the same on W7.
I did follow exactly the same procedure on both, should SIX update it or not (without extra presets)?
(01-19-2010, 07:50 PM)Overlord link Wrote:[quote author=Osku link=topic=2058.msg11439#msg11439 date=1263900723]
Just for a tip, if someone runs into this problem: At first, the GUI didn't start on my XP 64-bit edition, it was missing chcp.com. I went to get it from another XP installation (32bit), renamed to chcp.exe, and placed it in C:\Program Files\Six-Updater\tools\ruby\bin - just as Six-Updater told me. After that, it started up fine.

You can always find that file in system32 folder in your windows 64 folder (mine is C:\WIN64\system32). Still a .com file, just copy it into C:\Program Files (x86)\Six-Updater\tools\ruby\bin and rename to chcp.exe. This is also described in Six Updater GUI window (the first DOS window)
[/quote]

Well, I have only one system32-folder.. did a full search too, there was absolutely no chcp.com or .exe
hi,

(01-19-2010, 08:11 PM)Overlord link Wrote:Another question about SIX, when I installed on my W64 box it also checked/updated Zeus but it didn't look like it did the same on W7.
I did follow exactly the same procedure on both, should SIX update it or not (without extra presets)?

Nope if I'm right I think the updater is set by default to update CBA, ACE, ACEX, ACEX_SM and ACEX_PLA. You have to set extra peset to download/update zeus AIs. When all the presets are configurated you just have to use six updater - console to check if there's an update.

cu.

Nikiller.
I thought mentioning this: Six-updater doesn't update the ACE configs automatically. Although they are downloaded into a store folder in "Arma2/@ACE/Store/userconfig.tar", but they're not installed. To do it manually - just open the archive and overwrite the old files in "Arma2/userconfig/ACE". You don't have do this again for every weekly ACE update, because the configs aren't updated so often.