Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: AA2 vs OFP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's continue shoutbox chat hereSmile

In my opinion ArmA2 is a better game/ simulator than OFP. Except gfx enhancement due to ten years computer development it looks like enemies are smarter (discussable hence all available scripts), they don't "stand out" as much as in OFP, better environment (trees, sounds, animals). Downside is the change of all keyboard commands (and removal of some). And of course all the new stuff. Doesn't help much adding new which you got several commands to the same key Sad

For OFP I give easier controls (due to ten year of brainwashing myself?), runs on older (read antique) boxes Tongue, for now easier to build missions. A couple of downsides: you spot enemies 2K away, tetris-like gfx Wink

But it ain't as bad as I'll stop playing it  ;D

Maybe Arma2 is better simulator and has lots more realism than OFP... but in my opinion, most of these added realism features serves only our AI enemies, making it more difficult to survive for humans. I don't see so much improvements on the player side, which would compensate this. It's still just a game... there is no way to have such clear vision and see things so clearly than in real life, or have accurate control over our body parts and limbs, etc.

btw. Just a thought, does anyone else feel that transition from walking to running is kind of slow in Arma2?
In my opinion AA2 is alot better then OFP overall. It only takes longer to learn it all. I have though abandone vanilla AA2(exept fore the tusdeys) and only play it wite ACE.

And when playing sucessful AA2 is much more fun to play, but of course some times i mise those enemys wite bright orange vest that sems to inhabbit the OFP landscape since they are so much esier to spot.

btw one world why ACE2 should be the standard MOD= Backblast :Smile
I can't elaborate now on the subject, but last official Arma 2 coop night was really good. No matter what OFP was, Arma 2 is still fresh and therefore currently more interesting to me, and yes, it is definitely more realistic than OFP (although I don't know how war looks like, reloading last save every half a minute?). I have some more thoughts on the subject but for now I just want get some sleep.

Zandhaas

OFP was revolutionary, as there was nothing comparable before and precious little attempt at competition afterwards. Arma II is definitely an improvement on OFP, though an evolution rather than a giant leap forward. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since there is little reason to change things that are already good as they are. Aside from the visual aspects the behaviour of AI controlled units is better than in OFP, alas the number of adjustments to commands that an AI commander can give to his subordinates is vastly greater than any human player can issue to his AI cronies. Therefore OFP can still be a better SP experience than Arma II in my opinion when taking on the job as squad leader, though coop with an all human squad against AI opponents is superior to OFP. Returning to the improved visual aspects, the more detailed terrain and better camouflage of opponents directly contribute to a better game experience, much more so than the improved detail on units, vehicles and weapons. Locating the enemy is harder in Arma II than in OFP as the units generally stand out less against the background. The terrain also allows the player to better sneak up on the enemy as there are more slight rises to take advantage of.

Regards,

Sander
(01-28-2010, 09:20 AM)Osku link Wrote:Maybe Arma2 is better simulator and has lots more realism than OFP... but in my opinion, most of these added realism features serves only our AI enemies, making it more difficult to survive for humans.

I guess you haven't tried Zeus AIs have you Osku?
ArmA2 is basically devs looking at features of best mods for OFP and implementing them into a game by default. That's why AA2 is more realistic than vanilla OFP.
AI may seem smart at first, but after a while you'll start to notice that it's cheating in the same way as it did in AA1. Seeing you through trees, grass and up until 1.03 patch or something like that - through ground 1 km away.
That's one of the reasons why so many people play coops against AI with grass off by default - even though grass is an important element on the battlefield as it provides cover (considering that in AA2 your camo does look like it blends with it). ACE mod fixed it partially for AA1 though, don't know how it is for AA2 currently (or how it is in Zeus, I currently don't play OFP/AA that much)

Another thing I dislike about AA2 is the same as with AA1 - in OFP due to how the game worked battles usually were going at ~200m distances. In AA1 and AA2 the distances of usual engagements are much shorter. I very much prefer long distance battles as they give you a real sense of a huge scale of the map.
Variable, as far as I've experienced, AI enemies are always tough enough (in Vet difficulty, with or without Zeus). But I wonder how does Zeus affect to the AIs you're leading? I really haven't noticed any difference.
But I've realized, that big problem when leading AI squad is that when they decide to go on danger/combat mode, you can't persuade them to change their minds. They will start the "bounding" movement and engaging enemies that they like. That will make retreating, flanking, and all movement under fire totally impossible. In my opinion, "Return to formation" command should always override all other previously given commands. (might be good improvement suggestion for BI)

And about the grass, as MCraze was saying that AI can see through it. Yes, they can definately see through it better than humans, but usually it prevents them to hit you accurately with their bullets.
I've noticed that many(?) players here are using addons to disable grass... I'd say don't do that! That's the one great feature in Arma2! Really, if you disable it, you're missing part of the excitement. Sometimes it's quite thrilling experience hiding in the grass when enemy patrol is walking just next to you, and you barely can see them, mainly just hearing their footsteps. With Zeus AI, they shouldn't be able to see you either. Lying prone in Arma2 conceals you and decreases your situational awareness, just as it would in real life - especially in a high, Chernarus type low-level vegetation. Also, while proning it's interesting trying to find a spot where you can see at least few percent of the surroundings.

I like vanilla Arma2, even though it WILL always give AI enemies some advantage, but what a heck, it's much more fun/challenging that way!
It looks like AIs have a tendency to follow 2. Maybe because in RL it's usally 2. in command who actually lead the team/performing commanders orders in the battlefield?
Try commanding only player 2 and see what happen to the rest.

But in ArmA 2 it seems impossible to command each player e.g. moving exactly on spot, hold/open fire only on command and so on.

To my excuse I'll add I hate the AIs as much as I never play SP in ArmA2....
Yeah sometimes they follow number 2, but not often. I don't understand the logic. Usually if you order number 2 to move, he just moves individually while the others stay with you. I doubt ordering him to move would have any effect when the AIs are engaging enemy and have entered Danger mode by themselves.

And yes, the AIs seem to override Hold fire command if they feel threatened - you gotta love them..  Tongue
Yeah I play with the grass enabled without any mods to "dumb down" it.
With the most recent version of Zeus AI the grass became something like a proper cover finally and AI can see you hiding in it only after some time after you fire your first shots (which is the same with human players). Same for bushes. I really hope you've updated Zeus AI on the server because the new version is better. Also because AI can't see you at night just as well as in the one we played with where it instantly knew where we are the moment that Shilka blew up.

The most ideal option however is to play with Zeus AI and Group Link 4 combined.
When you fire at the AI - instead of just standing and firing at you (vanilla) or droping on the ground and firing at you (Zeus AI) they actually run for cover and only then start shooting.
Or when you are f.e. a sniper they try to look for you in the direction the shots came from, if they don't find you they get back to their routes, but being in an "aware" stance from now on. They now engage at longer distances, just like OFP, they clear backblast areas of AT weapons etc. Really makes the experience vastly better, can't play OFP anymore because of these AI mods.