Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Freeware: VBS2 Lite (JCOVE)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey folks,

in case You are interested, we are currently trying to set up a solid torrent seed of Bohemia Interactive VBS2 Lite (JCove). It is a freeware version of VBS 2 based around counterinsurgency operations with working multiplayer and editor. Two islands are inside this edition.

Surprisingly, I had the impression it runs better than ARMA/ARMA+ACE. After a little playing around, I must confess that it had me pressed hard against the wall. The famous Operation Flashpoint Feeling is still missing, but the game/simulation is definatly more fun than ARMA.

If You are interested, drop by in the Project Reality forums and check out this thread: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11-off-...-lite.html.

In case You download it, please be social and help seeding.

Cheers,

wuschel
Downloading now, will seed. Thanks for this note - it'll be fun to check out!

Edit: Stuck @ 89.1%, along w/ a whole bunch of other people. . . Luckily, I've seen my uploads @ +300kB/s at times, so, hopefully, that'll help when I'm able to seed the whole thing (I'm not exactly sure how the whole BT thing works well).
Didn't find the torrent file, can you send it to me Anguis?
Here's the link for the torrent file:

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/VBS2-Lite/27...548408ce9e

Edit: Seeding now.
Good stuff! When I left to fetch my girlfriend it was just me seeding.. and now its allmost 25 people.

I am really curious if those folks manage to set up a server as they said.

Have You noticed that this thing is running much better than ARMA?
I haven't tried it yet. My only experience w/ Arma is the demo - I hope this is better than that.

Edit: All right, I've messed around with it a little. It seems to run better than the demo did on my system. I still have to work w/ the settings a bit to get things nice and smooth. So far, it seems pretty cool - it'll be fun to check out the different units. Someone in the PR thread mentioned an ADF version's out, too. That'd be fun to see.

One thing, wuschel - you're right about that "famous Operation Flashpoint Feeling"! What did BIS do w/ the original game? It's like they included some form of electronic-video-game MSG with OFP.
(01-29-2010, 09:20 PM)Anguis Viridis link Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: All right, I've messed around with it a little. It seems to run better than the demo did on my system. I still have to work w/ the settings a bit to get things nice and smooth. So far, it seems pretty cool - it'll be fun to check out the different units. Someone in the PR thread mentioned an ADF version's out, too. That'd be fun to see.

Yes, it would be fun to check the ADF units as well. However, it is definatly not only the units but mainly the functionality I am after. And in that regard JCOVE and its ADF pendant might be drastically castrated, I am afraid. Still, a couple of guys want to set up a JCOVE community (http://www.jcove-lite.co.uk/). Let us see how this thing will develop.

I checked ARMA once, and even with the latest patches and ACE I was not happy with it.

(01-29-2010, 09:20 PM)Anguis Viridis link Wrote: [ -> ]One thing, wuschel - you're right about that "famous Operation Flashpoint Feeling"! What did BIS do w/ the original game? It's like they included some form of electronic-video-game MSG with OFP.

Yes! There are some feelings that come from the gut. But others are clearly describable: For me it is definatly the speed of the game. In addition to that, I somehow to not feel right with all those super-dupa visual effect gadgets of ARMA 2 and ARMA: It is great to see a plane going to down in hollywoodesque manner, but in a way I do feel the the situational awarness does suffer from the graphical awesomeness of these games.

It is a real pity they do not bring OFP up to date from the feature side of things, like bringing in better aircraft control, larger map possibilities, better scripting possibilites, and larger player capacities.

-wuschel
I saw controls for TI (Thermal Imaging) in the options but no keys for switching it on in vehicles which likely will have it (Apache, Challenger tanks).
To switch on thermal imaging, use the "n" key multiple times.

Ah thanks. Are there also fire control systems in tanks? I see the red digits in the optics which would show results from laser range finders but I wonder if they are only decorative or functional - that would be awesome.
Bah, the torrent crashes utorrent and that download site restricts to one download per hour Sad

edit nvm utorrent 1.8.5 works fine.
(01-30-2010, 07:37 PM)Zwobot link Wrote: [ -> ]Ah thanks. Are there also fire control systems in tanks? I see the red digits in the optics which would show results from laser range finders but I wonder if they are only decorative or functional - that would be awesome.

Good one. I guess that is left for us to find out. I might as those JCOVE guys, tho.

(01-30-2010, 08:24 PM)Pulverizer link Wrote: [ -> ]Bah, the torrent crashes utorrent and that download site restricts to one download per hour Sad

The torrent worked fine for me. It must be a problem on Your side. Try re-installing utorrent, re-download the torrent and have another go for it.
Really cool stuff.

(01-30-2010, 07:37 PM)Zwobot link Wrote: [ -> ]Ah thanks. Are there also fire control systems in tanks? I see the red digits in the optics which would show results from laser range finders but I wonder if they are only decorative or functional - that would be awesome.

Yeah, just press F to get the range and then the gun will (in theory) be elevated to hit the target. Sight is not mounted coaxially so it will not rise, you aim with the same aim point as you lase with. It's just takes some trial and error to find the actual aim point on different sights, and it doesn't seem to work too accurately on all ammo types / guns. I'm not sure if there's automatic lead added based on turret rotation during lase, probably not.

To adjust TIS, press alt+~ (alt+"select all troops"), then adjust brightness and contrast with alt+1,2,3,4
Cool, thanks Pulverzizer. There's also a key for commander override and I like that you can get up and down in tanks when unbottuned like in Steel Beasts. You can even fire your personal weapon when in "up" stance.
Override is quite useful. The view seems to get stuck to gunner view sometimes when using it though.

I tried this in MP with a friend and it works over internet without Hamachi, just use the remote IP to connect.