Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: W7 vs ATI 5*** - artifacts/hang/random crashes/ATIKMDAG stopped responding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
My computer got totally crazy after installing an official ATI driver "FIX"...
Below is a soulution I found that (seems to) work for at XFX 5750, I suppose it's "generic" (nVidia owners should try a similar approach). The interesting part is it looks like ATI GFX driver is too "underclocked" for W7's taste in 2D/ idle mode. Basic idea is to rise GPU clock at those conditions. My card tossed around at 157 MHZ idle/desktop on standard driver, rised GPU to 400/ memory 800 and Viola! No more <insert subject heading after - here>

Original content can be found by clicking here
Quote:PROBLEM:  Random crashes.
Description:  While NOT playing games, ie doing anything in 2D or when the computer would go idle or into screen powersaver mode, the crashes were almost certain.  Windows graphical corruptions were also a tell-tale sign of the card being unstable and an impending crash.

Solution:  Again after much reading, I came to the conclusion that Windows 64bit was not playing nice with my 5870’s powerplay function.  Mainly that the idling 157 clock speed was not enough to keep the card stable when idle.  After updating the card’s bios, I could go hours without a crash when playing a game, but then it would crash after I was done, when it sat idle on the desktop.

I came across this solution that forces the card to idle (2D) at a higher clock.  I had to set it to a clock speed that Windows 7 would be happy with.  (For me this was 400 when idle, and the stock 850 when running games)

Steps:

1.    Open CCC

2.    Unlock and Enable Overdrive if they aren’t already.

3.    Go to Options/Profiles/Profiles Manager.  Create a new profile.  Under composition make sure “ATI Overdrive” is checked. Save and Close, DO NOT ACTIVATE.

4.    In windows go to: C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles (you will need to have “show hidden files” turned on for this)

5.    Open the xml document with the name of the profile you just created (notepad is fine)

6.    Change the values of the Clock and Memory speeds to look like this (these specific values are what worked for me and my card, use judgment) EDIT ONLY THE BOLD VALUES.

Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"

Property name="Want_0" value="[color=red]40000" this value set GPU core speed

Property name="Want_1" value="60000"

Property name="Want_2" value="85000"

Feature

Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"

Property name="Want_0" value="80000" this value set memory speed

Property name="Want_1" value="90000"

Property name="Want_2" value="120000"

7.    Save and close.  Go back to CCC and activate the profile you just created.

This will make the card idle at 400core, 900memory.  (2D clocks are the "Want_0" values)

Conclusions/Observations:
My system has been completely stable for 4 days now, whereas before I would get 2-3 crashes each day.

Of course you can fiddle around with values for your own likings, this is just what worked for me. (Guess I don't need to reminde you all about the own risk and likes bullshit)
Happy tuning  8)
I don't know about the solution you posted but I had a random crashes problem and it was solved simply by turning off Hyper Threading option in my BIOS. Did you try that?

(My PC specs can be found somewhere in the forum)
AMD don't use cheap solution as HT  ;D

No, this is only related to some gfx error messages and gray screen/artifacts when gfx card is running idle (or close to it)