Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: [SP] Operation Matchball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello WGL fanatics!

I just published something fresh out of the WGL oven: Operation Matchball is a single player mission using the great features of the CoC Command Engine and Unified artillery with Silolas Dynamic AI Creator.

The player takes command of a battalion sized USMC force with support assets on the beautiful shores of Libya.

The original thread and download link can be found at http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=97762.

Cheers,

wuschel
Cool - downloaded, will check it out when I have the time, maybe tonight. Thanks! Smile
Yay, a brave tester!

Any feedback so far?
Got everything installed and running - got in-game and realized real quick that I better RTFM. Looks pretty cool.
- lags a bit on my system (so far)
- no crashes
(04-29-2010, 02:28 AM)Anguis Viridis link Wrote: [ -> ]Got everything installed and running - got in-game and realized real quick that I better RTFM. Looks pretty cool.
- lags a bit on my system (so far)
- no crashes

Pretty much the same for me here, except replace "lags a bit" with "lags a lot." We're talking like 5-10 fps here. Sad
Hi guys,

thanks for checking out the mission:

About the lag:
DAC, CoC-UA and the CoC-CE initialize in the first 60-90 seconds. If You wait patiently until the music is over, the mission should run absolutely fine (on a *cough*  Lenovo notebook Intel Duo Core 2 Ghz, 4 GB RAM 128 MB Nvidea VGA system with a resolution of 1400*1050 and standard sight). Earlier versions of the mission with a complete different layout and position of bluefor and redfor assets lacked really bad in the middle of the mission. With this version I did not experience lag..

Gameplay:

And yes, one should read the manual when playing this ;-) I usually skip them and try to go by trial and error, but this time it is too much.

Most things can be done with a combination simple mouse click, sometimes with ALT-CLICK and SHIFT-CLICK on the map screen, in seldom cases You need ALT-SHIFT-CLICK. In camera mode, You will be able to micro-manage individual squad members with the usual F2-F12 keys, right/left mouse click and radio commands. Care has to be taken when loading units - maybe I am extra careful, but I usually dont load a second unit into the transport before the first has been completely loaded. Also, make sure that Your transport has enough capacity and that You are ordering to load the men as cargo. Unloading units from cargo slot is done in the fastest way by clicking the transport unit and selecting unload external cargo.

While the mission left the proof of concept stage, I am still waiting for WGL unit conversions and still need to see some of the included scripts working. There were lots of problems with DAC while making this mission... most annoying was the 256 unit limit.

Looking forward to hear some war stories. I have a very long one with pictures, but I did not want to spoil the fun Smile
Hey wuschel;

It appears your dream of "Large Scale" combat operations for WGL has become a reality. As you might have guessed addons are not an issue for me, so I got this going right off the bat. I have to agree with RK "kurtz" and Anguis....Lag...Lag...Lag. Even after moving away from the base...many...many minutes later I still was only getting between 8-10 fps. I think your enthusiasim for "Large Scale" has overwhelmed the OFP game engine. This reminds me of Afrographix's Dawn Radiers mission which really lagged worse than this Smile Maybe a modest scaling back could be the answer. Mjolnier made a DAC mission for the CiA server with way too many spawn points and let's say it didin't work too well.
Also upon exting the mission I got some misising script error messesges, different ones each time.

When I get more time I'll try moving some of the groups around and see how that goes. The Group Commander type missions have sometimes been too much for my CPU (brain)..haha.
Hey Zulu1,

thanks for checking out the mission! Indeed this is the type of mission I have searched for.. just in multiplayer with humans on both sides and in multiple layers of the command chain. I guess I have to wait for that a couple of years, though.

I am really surprised to see these performance íssues on Your computer, for I remember that You did play ARMA2. Or am I mistaken?

Right now, have no access to my OPF installation. However, I do remember of not having adjusted the VISRANGE parameter, so most likely it is set to a low value. Try to reduce it. I should have implemented a trigger setting the VISRANGE to my value in the mission.pbo, or write some comments regarding the mission performance.

If You look at my hardware specs in a higher post, I do not own the pc of superman, just an business notebook. Of course, I was getting some lag from time to time, but I remember the gameplay to be absolutely fluid (and fun). I have seen so many situations were I thought "Hey, this could have been in Pacific or Private Ryan". I remember getting 7 fps max on ARMA2 demo though, and that sucked.. ergo: Something has to be tweaked.

A couple of questions: When did the lag appear? After the initialization, after you moved into the first combat situations, in a big battle?

I only experienced a bad lag once, and this was in an earlier version of the mission, with activating and deactivating DAC waypoint Zones which I wanted to use to simulate OPFOR offensive troop operations, and multiple DAC core and respawn zones of large size. This lag was continues and rendered the game unplayable. The layout and position of BLUEFOR was different, with the enemy approaching from west, south and east. A lot of red signs on the map, a true nightmare for the CO.

While I made some changes to the OPFOR from the the previous revision 14 to the current revision 15, I removed all respawn camps and added a new but small second DAC Zone instead, with infantry and infantry waypoints only. I would be surprised if that causes the lag.

Thanks for looking into the mission. I appreciate that.

-- wuschel