Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: BW splittertarn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Zwobot,

Here is the BW Splittertarn from the 1950 we were talking about the other day...

[Image: bwsplittertarnanzug1bcgq.jpg]

[Image: bwsplittertarnanzug5ihru.jpg]

[Image: bwtarn08.jpg]

[Image: bw_pigeraet_caterpillar_d7-001.jpg]

There was a green variation and a bluish variation (as above).

Below is the rare "broad splinter" variation:
[Image: BWSplinterJacketFront.jpg]

And an extremely rare expetimental schneetarn:
[Image: IMG_5279.jpg]

There was also and experimental BW Liebermuster pattern in 1955 (very rare):
[Image: IMG_4062.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4069.jpg]
So this is how it looks like in colour. Interesting...
Like I said the other day I only knew the camo from 1950s BW training videos in black and white.

Quite strange that the BW had a camo uniform in it's beginnings but not some decades later before introducing the Felcktarn in the early 90s I think.
Yep they got rid of camo in the late 50s/early 60s because it was too "aggressive" looking and reminded people of WWII. Same thing in Austria, they had the Austrian Pea pattern up to the 1970s but then went back to OD because camo was too "aggressive" for a defence force.

I like flecktarn, it's a cool pattern. Wustentarn as well...

Check out these trial patterns that the BW experimented with before selecting Flektarn B....

1976 trials patterns:

BW Truppenversuch 76 Sägezahnmuster
[Image: IMG_5009.jpg]

BW Truppenversuch 76 Punkttarnmuster
[Image: IMG_5010.jpg]

BW Truppenvesuch 76 Flecktarn A (Klein)
[Image: IMG_5013.jpg]

BW Truppenvesuch 76 Flecktarn B (Groß)
[Image: IMG_5012.jpg]

BW Truppenvesuch 76 Flecktarn C (Schattentarn)
[Image: IMG_5011.jpg]

Punktarn is one of my favourite looking camos - looks very cool...

The pics above are from a friend that collect BW gear.

Interesting way to rise posts... Wink
(05-27-2010, 04:55 PM)Marto link Wrote:because camo was too "aggressive" for a defence force.
Only in Europe  Big Grin
Anyone see the Flecktarn units in the HK pack?... Their camo looks pretty close to Marto's pictures, and not bad looking units either.
Yes, they are supposed to be KSK units I think but there are also combat swimmers with G8 rifles and some mercenaries included in the pack right?

Zandhaas

There was also a combination of the splinter pattern and Leibermuster in use for tent halves.

http://zeltbahn.panzerwerk.com/index.php...&Itemid=43

Some of the material was later made into uniforms, but never in BW service.

http://camo.henrikc.dk/details.asp?autono=272

Note that this material was also used for the camouflage smocks worn by German troops in A bridge too far, as for instance in the scene with the attempt by an armoured column to cross the Arnhem bridge.

Flecktarn was considered for the Dutch PSU80 range of uniforms, but discarded in favour of a variation of British DPM as the feedback indicated that as a 'flowery dress' pattern it lacked martial appeal. The same colour range is returning in the current series of experimental patterns though (with a few extra shades).

Regards,

Sander
Quote:Flecktarn was considered for the Dutch PSU80 range of uniforms, but discarded in favour of a variation of British DPM as the feedback indicated that as a 'flowery dress' pattern it lacked martial appeal.

In other words, even the Dutch thought it was too gay. :o
Does anyone know this Dutch army jacket I have (see pic) do you know when its dated from?
(05-08-2012, 10:40 AM)fifocamo link Wrote:Does anyone know this Dutch army jacket I have (see pic) do you know when its dated from?
rund, do you happen to have any idea?
No, I'm not that much into uniform and stuff (hey, im a mechanical engineer!) 

But on the other hand, it looks quite modern and I still see this camo used here, so I guess it's from the last few years at least. When you check our governments Dutch uniform page you can see it's still used:  http://www.defensie.nl/landmacht/culture...echtstenue

You might be interested that KL (in the label)  stands for Koninklijke Landmacht, which is The Royal Dutch Army land forces.Â