Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: My Time on Commrades in Arms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my geez 5-6 years I guess now on CiA....

My playing online with OFP started with LoL Funhouse, Vet Squad, Recon and others. One day I felt like trying something different. I noticed that there were a few servers running FDF Mod which I was currious to see how it was for playing MP. I saw Mr.Whoope who I knew from the Funhouse server playing on a FDF server so I jumped on. The mission lagged so badly I could barely move and I was blown up in a few minutes and I left. But I didn't give up there. I kept seeing Fat Tony, Nepumuk (Zwobot), Post and Sputnik Monroe posting on this thread in the BIS fourms called “Coop Nights”. I thought to my self "hey, think I'll check this out". So one Sunday I joined in and it was quite a different experience from the other servers I was playing on.

The CiA regulars at the time were Tony, Variable, Post, Zwobot and sometimes Pulverizer. Others that played regularly were Leo, Kopie, L-Cube, RunDLL, Staos, Osku, Cox, Mjolnoir, Hawke, Taylor and I’m sure others that I don't recall. Then came disillusioned players from LoL Funhouse like Gum, Overlord and Slash who I saw on FunHouse most everyday. Overlord and Slash went on to become CiA members. I tried to make Sunday night Coop a regular thing, Wednesday Coops I could never make because the time was during my work hours. We always had good times and well played missions. Although every now and then somebody would do something to piss off Variable, usually Kopie . Overall it was a lot of fun.

After a bit of nagging I got some Recon Players I knew to try out CiA. They were Wolf, Peki Boy and Worsen. We were playing FDF every night for a while in between Coop night sessions. Then I got Wolf and Peki to try a Coop night, and even Worsen joined occasionally.  

As time went on some players came and went. A guy I knew from the BIS forums by the name of Anguis came in one day to play and went on to join CiA. Another was a guy from downunder with quite an Aussie accent who called himself Marto. He quickly meshed with the group and was always good for a laugh with his sense of humor and his bantering with Overlord. Marto also went on to join CiA as a member.

I don’t know quite how it came about but this group of hardened warriors were ready for a new challenge. I’m sure Pulverizer had some influence in brining WGL to the CiA server. Pulverizer was running his own independent servers at the time, EWE_FDF and EWE_WGL which I also played on from time to time. His experience with the MOD and collection of missions I’m sure helped CiA to launch this MOD for play on the server. What can I say it became an instant hit.

With the server open to the public and now both FDF and WGL more players began to show up. The server was almost always active with people playing. However a small group of unruly players started to disrupt the Coop Nights play which led to the server being locked and the CiA members approving a group of the old regulars for access to the server. One guy who I couldn’t quite understand why he was excluded was Dogmeat. He was a good player but maybe took it a little to seriously and was too abrasive for the CiA old timers. There was also a young kid who proved to be a very good team player by the name of USMC-Delta. I still run into him here and there, but he seems interested in other games now. Another guy who when I saw his name in the fourm I said I have to hear his voice because I thought he was from Russia was RKDimitriyev, known as Kurtz

Even after the server was locked new players would inquire about being approved to play like Grip, Misha, Ninja, MTV-Mikka, Make, MetalCraze, Viking and others. All these worked out to be good players who adapted to the Coop style that CiA had become known for. Later even a group from <<North>> came to play for for a while. Somewhere along the line, I’m not too sure where Ugi and Schnix began playing on CiA  semi regularly. Even Suomi Perkele who I know from Vet Squad would play sometimes. Dodgy and Delaney also Funhouse players would show up sometimes.

Several others would come and go, but sadly it seems all have gone now. For the past two months no one has been playing Sunday Night Coops. I know Overlord, Zwobot and Osku have ventured off into ARMA > ARMA2 and now Operation Arrowhead. Overlord I see you are still posting in the Funhouse forums, but not playing.

For old times sake maybe we can get a group to play Sunday night Coop this week???

Add some names not mentioned above Danofski, Faguss, Ferenczi, STGN, Six6Six, Norsu, Kenwort and still so many others.
Excellent summary Zulu.

Real life definitely is to blame for things quieting down in CiA. Most active members including me have been away for business trips, moving house etc.
I'm already occupied on Sunday night but would be available for Ofp or Arma2 coop tonight.

I hope we can stir things up again when more regulars and members are setup to play Arma2 and real life is less restricting.
This novel almost brings tears to my eyes Wink

As you correctly pin out Zulu, there is quite low activity here now but I think Zwobot sums it up allright.
For myself I'm trying to master Arma2, and feel I'm getting better and better as enemy target.... so it's not much time for OFP but I miss the FDF evenings. Maybe I'll install it again.

We don't have had the pleasure to play Arma2 with you yet Zulu, you're always welcome you know.
I've had ARMA2 for awhile now, but I'm still not comfortable enough yet for multiplayer. I just picked up Operation Arrowhead, but I haven't installed it yet. Maybe soon I'll get to the point where I can play along with you guys.
Ahh, brings up great memories! Nice story Zulu!

Now that you've mentioned so many player names that haven't been around for a long time, I can't help wondering where do people keep disappearing? Especially now - but I think it's been happening for longer time as well. Think about how many players have been provided with the server password (nearing 90, I think) and how many uses it, even irregurarly, ~10 ? Some new players come in for one or two games, and don't ever come back again...

For sure it's a chain reaction: one or two drops out (even temporarily), then next time more follow, and so on. In the end leaving that hardly anyone joins the server.

For a handful people of course real life is influencing their acts, but for majority of the rest it must their own conscious decision to drop out. Maybe CiA gaming style had not been satisfying to them, or something, I don't know...

What is worrying these days, is that this community is losing way more players than it's getting new ones. With new players I mean people who come again, for more than 1 or 2 nights. But thankfully here still are players who stick around no matter what - just too bad some of us are now "splitted" in two camps, OFP / Arma2.  :-\
Great write-up, Zulu! I'm still around, but active with other things (not other games), right now. I'll try to make it, tomorrow.
I guess one reason for the lack of "new" players in Arma2 is the game itself demands quite a piece of hardware, there is no easy way to get an illegal copy and you really have to like OFP to find Arma2 interesting.

But as Zwobot points out in another thread here, we should promote our Arma2 games more. I'll start grabbing screenshots tonight...

And to you Zulu: Install Arrowhead ASAP, it's where you find all the goodies, update game with latest patch (including BAF LE) and join the server. As you know we don't require special skills of anyone. Speaking for myself, I bothered other players alot when I started playin hence to BIS remapping of keys Wink

Yeah, I can totally relate to Zulu's post, although I'm relatively new here. Lack of players, couple of unattended OFP coop nights in a row, that is a problem.

I now usually drop by to see if someone's playing on Wednesdays and Sundays, and I'm ready to join whenever there are some players. And if there is a coop night today, surely I'll come.

As for Arma 2 coop, it seems ironic that with smaller players pool it is regularly attended even if it's just few of us playing.

I remember I was so enthusiastic when I discovered CiA server, on one occasion I spent 8 hours straight playing, and I felt style of playing was what real OFP coop should look like. And, of course, there were many players back then. 
Enjoyed reading your summary Zulu, thank you for that. As you all know, I've not been around lately, but not because I don't feel like it. Reality bites, and I have less time to play. due to lack of time, I had to choose between OFP and ArmA 2 and chose ArmA 2, but now I still wait for my arrowhead copy to arrive (takes too long, I hope I will get to meet it eventually).
I am positive that once I get it, I will come back to more regular activity on the server and on the forums.

Miss you all guys,

Variable
Hello again guys. Yeah, I kinda dropped out due to a combination of factors including college, boredom with OFP, laziness, and several unattended or poorly-attended coop nights in a row. But maybe I'll stop by today and OFP will seem fresh and interesting. ;D

I was never able to get into ArmA2 too much, due the steep hardware demands and learning curve. One of these days, perhaps.
So, players are back, we played FDF on a Sunday for a change, it was a blast (literally, and once again my apologies for that sticky grenade incident).
It really was refreshing to play FDF, with the good old posse. Enjoyed a lot, good games everyone!

What happened with the grenades, Misha? I didn't see that incident.. But this night there were some other craziness too, like our chief Tony getting shot by his own teammates.  Wink
We were playing a WW2 map trying to sneak up on some tanks to take them out with cocktails and throwable charges. We alerted the enemy and Misha tried to use a grenade but got me insted. This was only after we realized we brought a mortar tube, but no tripod and a mg w/tripod but no magazines. Forgot to check the shopping list before we took off. Smile
Now mortar and mg story sounds more funny then it was while we played. But it was silly mission from the start.

My poorly thrown bomb killed Zulu and me, and possibly even Tony, but his death wasn't registered as a teamkill by the game. And earlier during mission Anguis had to quit so he blew himself by grenade. So that would be in total 4 out of 5 of us who played the mission were killed by friendly grenades. Only Mikka remained alive heavily outnumbered.

Hola,

personally i´m not that keen of WW2 missions generally. The one we played yesterday went on the bad side because of disorientation and a disconnection and not to forget we lacked of players for that mission from start. Considering this and imagining what the mission could have gone when things had been more on our side, i have to say, i think its one of the best WW2 missions or at least we have to give it a second try.

The most important thing we have to do is to stick all the goodies in ONE sleigh and make sure people think about the ammo. Then stay focused and close to the leader for not to get lost. Once we are set up in a good pos with the right toys, it will be fun to tear that convoy apart...

But nevertheless it was good fun, even when one of the guys punished me for bad leadership with a perfect headshot... I wish you would always hit that good on the enemies... The bas missions was great aswell, we have to do this one again soon ;-)! This junglebuggers overwhelmed us quite a bit, but we will give them hell next time! Anyways this one was very good teamplay with the two groups. Grats on my guys, who were very patient with waiting for synchronisation of Team 2. It was very nice how we attacked from different angles the same time giving cover to each other.

thumbs up and cu on the server!
Pages: 1 2