Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: tracking devices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Arma2 download start ETA 24h! Big Grin

But the main thing: Has anyone of you tried TrackIR or freetrack?
http://www.free-track.net/english/

I was just wondering could that really help playing the game. And I don't mean any superior tactical advantages, but just could that system be handy? I mean usable? Anone ever tried? Because building that Freetrack system is quite simple and it sure would not do any harm for the gameplay!
That head turning ability might be pretty handy if you'r a sniper and you don't wan't to turn the whole player to observe your surroundings! And without saying it's huge advantage while flying.

Here's an example (That's not me, ofcourse!)
[url=
Haven't tried. But did you know that you can just hold ALT to do the same thing? It was introduced in OFP, but in A2 it's better/smoother. And in A2 you can also double-tap to toggle it On/Off, which is very useful in (wheeled) vehicles. Using WASD keys for car controls and mouse-hand for looking around. When flying (with stick), you can use hat switch to look around, or map Look Left/Right-keys to some good position.. that'll do just fine as well.

One thing I haven't understand about TrackIR/FreeTrack is that do you need to keep your head exactly in same position while playing? otherwise you'll get some unwanted in-game head movement, right? I couldn't ever keep my head so still..
Yeah. I guess you just need to stay still. But I believe that once you have that thing on and you are playing, you'll automaticly keep your head still and move it when you need to. And it isn't supposed to be so sensitive that few degree turn spins your head around!. You know what I mean?
And I knew about the alt -option.  But especially while flying, using of the alt is quite clumsy!
Strange invention really, if you look around by moving head. If you don't have an extremely large monitor you (at least not I) ain't able to see the screen when I turn my head away from it....
Sorry, I don't have eyes in my neck, I'm Norwegian   ;D
It must be the climate OL! But the Idea is to keep it sensitive enough that you don't have too big deadzone but not that fast that you couldn't keep your head still in the game!
I wouldn't buy trackIR if you don't play flight and racing sims, or fly all the time in Arma2. It's almost useless for infantry in my opinion, because you can just as easily use free look or aim at the direction you want to see with the mouse (I've used trackIR 4 since arma1). If you already have a webcam, then freetrack can be built really cheap though.

You see the monitor just fine because the movement is amplified for your virtual head. Eg, you only turn your head 15 degrees to the right but will look 90 degrees to the right in the game. It feels very natural and intuitive to look around after a few days' use.
I found this a few months ago:

FaceTrackNoIR

[url=
Ok, I'll post about experiences WHEN I GET MY COMPUTER WORKING! F***F***F***F***
F***F***F***!!!!!  I already started reinstalling my windows when It decided to stop!! (Guess the disc is broken!) The recovery managed to format my HD but made an error before The windows was installed, now my computer is useless and waiting for some goddamn reply from fujitsu siemens!!! (I build my computer myself but that's a long story!) GOOOS I have no idea when i'll be able to start downloading arma2... Ahh somebody upstairs must really hate me...
And continuing the rage that started in the last post: WHY IS IT ALWAYS ME WHOSE APPLICATIONS ARE ALWAYS LOST TO THE BIT SPACE?!?!?!!
Download start (estimated) in 72 hours (Or couple of hours If I can convince the bank lady to give my account info over the phone! Big Grin)! I'll just keep praying Big Grin