Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Update 1.56 Arma2 OA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New patch out fore OA wite PMC light

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=110785

Included is

"•Arma 2: Private Military Company Lite - all units, vehicles and weapons from Arma 2: Private Military Company are included in this patch with lower quality textures and audio files. The full version of Arma 2: Private Military Company with high resolution textures and packed with a new campaign is available for purchase; see Private Military Company homepage for more information about the content of Arma 2: Private Military Company.
•ARMEX - The Multiplayer Armory - enables you to try out all weapons and every single vehicle model from Arma 2 in dynamically generated missions with up to eight friends online or over LAN!"

Version 1.55-1.56 Changelog
---------------------------

Data
----
    * Add: more camo (replaceable textures) selection for OA vehicles.
    * Fixed: missing shadows and heads in distance LODs for some OA characters.
    * Added: MP Armory.

Engine
------
    * Improved: -exThreads=3 now default for dual cores.
    * Improved: -cpuCount defaults improved for 6 or more than 8 CPUs.
    * Fixed: No more LOD blending issues (esp. with vegetation).
    * Fixed: Ignored collision with some vehicles.
    * Improved: AI cover selection improved a bit.
    * New: Video options VSync selection.
    * Fixed: Character collisions with stones often resulted in flying or being stuck. (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/12043)

BAF changelog 1.01-1.02
-----------------------
    * Added portrait and wounds of PMC operatives
    * Fixed CM immunity of missiles
    * Missions have new headers
    * Adjusted sensitivity of Her Majesty's soldiers
    * Music tracks have their respective names displayed
    * Adjusted values of many items in armoury
    * L111A1 sounds better on Jackals
    * Backpacks are now useable in editor
    * Fixed names of IEDs
    * Many weapons are now able to hold compatible magazines designed for other weapons
    * Snipers have learned how to handle AS50 correctly
    * US flyboys adjusted HMD for Apache and BAF pilots are now able to aim unguided missiles better
Hola,

wow they throw out this things quite quick now :-). Sounds interesting, but dont forget, that it will last some time, until we will have the server running with that version.... I guess at least i will wait some time.

Greets

Tony

Zandhaas

The PMC DLC is a bit underwhelming, especially compared to the great quality and quantity of BAF. It is more like Red Hammer or Queen's Gambit, not really impressive in content. Hopefully BIS will decide to follow the BAF path for any future DLC.

Regards,

Sander

I don't mind paying for DLC which would have good, epic, campaign like CWC were. Compared to OFP, Arma 2 still lack some good single player campaigns. All official Arma 2 campaigns were more like technology demonstrators. OK, Red Harvest brought some nice stuff, but warfare missions near the end of campaign were just too much for me.

I haven't played any SP campaign since OFP Resistance.
Campaign is included in light version Wink, dont know if it was intended to or if they will remove it wite the next patch.
(12-03-2010, 08:41 AM)Zwobot link Wrote:I haven't played any SP campaign since OFP Resistance.
You didn't miss much. Although I like Red Hammer at the time. All the rest afterwards was pure crap.
Maybe Eagle Wing which came with one of the Arma2 patches is worth checking out...

OFP and Arma's appeal to me comes largely by their ability to tell a realistic story, which we don't find in many other games. Campaigns are best way to do it, single missions are just too short to develop a good story. Multiplayer is another thing, it doesn't need a good story, just good gameplay.

I've been playing OFP offline for years due to bad internet infrastructure in my country, so I got to play many of single player missions and campaigns, and I can say that both official and user made for Arma have not reached same level of quality that one's for OFP had. Maybe it just takes some time for good user made mods and campaigns to be made, as I know best mods and addons for OFP came only after couple of years after OFP was released.

But OK, official campaigns for Arma 2 are not that bad, I will not revisit them so often like I did with OFP ones, but after some patching and fixing they are quite playable.

In my list of official campaigns Harvest Red would be on top as it is most complete of all.

Eagle Wing is too short, but story is really pushing you to play till end.

Campaign for OA wasn't bad, but missions were not connected enough so they feel more like single missions. BAF campaign was better than OA's.

Latest campaign, which came with DLC and new patch, although done by same author as Eagle Wing, isn't that good, at times it feels like a rail shooter, but it has a relatively good story.

Sorry for this writing/off topic, I just had nothing better to do.

Zandhaas

The Armed Assault campaign was pretty poor and Queen's Gambit only marginally better. As these compared rather unfavourably with the excellent BIS and community made missions I was inspired by those poor missions to take up mission editing.

The Arma II campaign has a very good start though I am not too fond of the Warfare missions at the end. The short Eagle Wing mini campaign is quite good. The missions for Operation Arrowhead and BAF were allright, though neither come close to Cold War Crisis and Resistance.

Regards,

Sander
Is it any improvements in this patch compared to 1.54?
Don't look like people over at BIS-forum are all too happy with it, they even suggest running 1.54 as long as players don't use ACE. And the Linux binaries aint too clean either (if they ever was...).
Dammed thing about all patches is you need a lot of space to keep several versions of the game.