Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Advanced Combat Radio Environment - ACRE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Have you tried THIS Grip?
(04-25-2011, 09:57 PM)Grip link Wrote: [ -> ]Stability is still not 99.9 we have arund 25players on anrop and usully we have 3-6 TS related incident a session(ca 3h) but if this is Acre related or client related i cant relly tell.

Doesn't sound good... that's too much technical issues for a session. :/

How do you Anrop guys approach the problem of people hearing each other badly (in 3D)? Use long-range radio most of the time?

PS. I haven't tried the latest version
@OL
Nopp havent tried that one.

@Osku
We solve the issue bay moving closer to the one we are speaking to Wink
Basiclly you do as in real life you talk louder to reach further or walk upp to the person you want to speak to.  Commands are repeated outvards in formations.
We try to keep fire teams to 3-5 players.
It some times slow down movment as commands needs to be communicated thro the CoC. But when god FireTeam and Squad Leaders are in position it goes relly fast.
Modern senarios have a squad radio system(walkies) that is mostly used when the squad is streatched out fare. Most commands still go thro 3D sound/voice. So we just try to keep squads in formation and close to etch other.
ACRE is indeed unstable. Every time we in GOL played at least half of the people had multiple TS3 crashes with it. And we used it since 1.0 - nothing was changing (and they write that "now all crashes are totally gone, totally" bit every time new version comes out). I myself had 3-4 crashes per session causing me to alt+tab all the time.

Still we had to use it because we had more than 20 people playing at all times and usual TS3 is very uncomfortable for that due to a lot of voice spam.

Don't see how CIA can really benefit from it though. Sure 3D effects are nice but are they worth the trouble with such a small number of people playing?
Im just asking out of curiosity and well.. someone might say offtopic. But why dont people use the voice system built in the game? I've understood that while talking on global channel you talk so that people near you hear what you'r talking. And then there are the other channels...

but does the game support voice activation? That is the only reason that I come up with why not to use it.
Not sure if this is considered as bringing up a old topic, if so i apologize in advance.

But i do know a thing or two about ACRE i have thoroughly tested this mod, the conception is it is not stable I disagree it is a very stable mod that really enhances CO-OP play & immersion in ARMA.

All it requires is the knowledge of how the MOD works and the steps you have to take to stop conflicts that occur.

To get this working 100% you need to do the following..

- Unmap the VON & PTT (Push to talk key) in ARMA control options, as this is defaulted to CAPSLOCK witch is the Coded PTT key for ACRE.

- Keep up with the latest TS3 version so all clients are running the same version.

- Make sure all clients are using and have assigned a push to talk key in there teamspeak3 and are not using voice activation. (The continuous pickup of voice activation can cause ACRE to crash.)

- Make sure you have the latest sound.dll provided by jayarma2lib from SIXUpdater, as older or corrupt versions of this cause the main issue.

- Basic understanding of the use of frequency and power of each radio that is provided in ACRE and use the correct ones depending on how your mission is setup.

- Knowledge of how to properly send a radio transmission with a "break" before transmission is sent and a "break" before the end of transmission, with a "break" before transmitting back. (As multiple clients transmitting at the same time causes feedback and a LOS (Loss of signal) of all that are transmitting.

- Finally most of the "Loss of Communication" that occur to some users while using ACRE is due to many variables.. Such as terrain elevation and or object's that the transmission is being sent and received from, to having the COMMS set to the right amplified setting for different environments such as being in a vehicle or inside a building for example.

All in all ACRE is a stable and very beneficial addon if your looking for the most realistic & enhance the immersion in your game.

Just needs to be understood like anything.

Best regards Gary.

It seems to be a nice system, but there might be some serious drawbacks:

We welcome new players almost weekly, and having them set up ACRE might just be too much for them.  Tbh, I haven't tried it, but the setup is different from a normal mod.
On top of that, we're not really the realism addicts you see somewhere else (being a realism addict isn't a bad thing tho), but try to keep the fun factor high, by omitting some of the realism, and allow some aid in awareness and communication.
In my view the in-game VON in combination with TS3 is just right for our style (TS3 for commander, VON for group/vehicle chat). 
Struggling with your radio is without doubt very nice for immersion in larger scale ops tho, where the game pace is a bit slower overall, but that rarely happens on our games.
Gary: Reviving! *ZzzT* Big Grin

But Rundll nailed it. I think it would be pretty weird to have one über realistic gadget when the playing style of the coops nights is pretty casual and the point is having fun, not doing everything just like in the real world.
Isn't there a way to have nice radio effects by using a TS plugin without having to use ACER? I remember seeing an old OFP video where the players had ACRE-like PTT and static effects.
Well I for one would like to see this used at least once. It's doesn't really break the casual gaming style, the best thing about ACRE is that it has a nice customized direct voice. And it's not actually that hard to learn it. I think this would only increase the immersion while keeping the casual gaming style. No need for proper radio chatter to use this addon Smile

I'd say we should try it out one evening.. see how it goes.
I would like to try it out, too.

On the other hand I fully agree with what rundll said a few posts earlier: player fluctuation is high these days and ACRE is more complex to setup than to just copy it into your addon folder, at least the last time I used it. This might deter players and scare them off forever from the server if they cannot get connected fairly quickly...
And I still remember it being very unstable, i. e. multiple Teamspeak restarts or reconnects required during a gaming session.
Agree with ken, all the necessary information to get ACRE working correctly i have posted above already.
I'm up for a try. I already played on other server which had ACRE on and it really brought something interesting into play.

We can at least try on unofficial night. Since Friday has become official we would need to pick another day.

I don't know though is it running automatically on every mission when it is loaded or must be a mission specifically designed to take advantage of it?
Only thing that needs to be done, is every one must run the Jayarma2lib & ACRE mod, and the ACRE radio box must be put down in the mission by the editor.

ooh i forgot CBA too Smile
(05-16-2012, 04:18 PM)Gary link Wrote: [ -> ]Only thing that needs to be done, is every one must run the Jayarma2lib & ACRE mod, and the ACRE radio box must be put down in the mission by the editor.

ooh i forgot CBA too Smile
But none of the missions we have on the server have been ACRE-prepped like that...
Pages: 1 2 3