Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Arma 2: Under-barrel grenade launcher sights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Overview of under-barrel grenade launchers found in ArmA 2 Combined Operations, and how to aim them.

How to read the pictures: The lines tell you how far the grenade will fly if you place the desired impact point on that line. Example, if your target, let's say a enemy soldier is 100 meters away from you (to determine it, use rangefinder or guesstimate), and you want to hit the ground beneath his feet; Then move your weapon up or down so that the ground under the target is vertically on the line indicating "100m".

EGLM

The scopes in different Mk16/Mk17 models changes the weapon silhouette, so you might not be able to use it as reference point exactly like in this picture below, but you'll get the general idea how much to elevate. Range up to 300 meters.

Used on Mk17 EGLM RCO, Mk16 EGLM Holo, Mk16 EGLM RCO, Mk16 EGLM TWS:

[Image: arma2elgm.th.jpg]

M203

Used on M16A2 M203, M16A4 M203, M16A4 M203 ACOG:

[Image: arma2m16.th.jpg]

With M16s, you lose view to the target when you aim at more than ~180 meters, but it's still relatively easy to shoot even further, especially with the M16A2 since the weapon shape is very narrow (and a favourable camera angle). M4A1 Holos (see below) are the most trickiest, as there is basically no sights. In ArmA2 the maximum range for all M203s is around 300-350m, but you'd have to elevate your weapon ridiculously high. Thinking of 200-250 meters as effective range might be good.

As used on M4A1 Holo (in the picture) and M4A1 Holo SD with suppressor blocking view,

[Image: arma2m4a1holo.th.jpg]

and also M4A1 M203 RCO, M4A3 ACOG GL:

[Image: arma2m4a1rco.th.jpg]

M320

M320 is rarely seen in ArmA 2, since it's used in only one weapon.

Used in M8 + M320:
[Image: arma2m8.th.jpg]

L17A2

The British solution for grenades. Awesome range, up to 350 meters, clear sight pictures. Be aware of your leaf sight zooming in/out (right mouse-button or NumPlus/Minus). This is the only launcher where zoom level affects the aiming point.

Used in L85A2 Holo GL, L85A2 SUSAT GL, L85A2 ACOG GL, all with full zoom:

[Image: arma2british.th.jpg]

GP-25

When your AK GP-25 has a Kobra sight, don't use the casing as reference point for aiming nades - rather use the gun barrel and the GP iron sight and you'll learn to handle all these variants at once. Max range ~300m, and already getting quite difficult to aim there due to limited view.

AK-107 GL Kobra (in the picture),  AK-74 GP-25 Kobra, AK-74 GP-25, AK-74 GL PSO:

[Image: arma2ak107kobra.th.jpg]

---

Hope this helps!
Nice work! Really appreciated!

The Anti-Tank systems are so sophisticated nowadays that they really are just lock & shoot! No need for aiming tutorials! Tongue

But one question about SMAW rocket launcher. The rocket seems to leave the barrel few degrees down from where you aim and then it keeps going straight. Am I just hallucinating?
(01-04-2011, 07:07 PM)Bubba link Wrote: [ -> ]Nice work! Really appreciated!

The Anti-Tank systems are so sophisticated nowadays that they really are just lock & shoot! No need for aiming tutorials! Tongue

But one question about SMAW rocket launcher. The rocket seems to leave the barrel few degrees down from where you aim and then it keeps going straight. Am I just hallucinating?

I am planning to make similar guide for AT-launchers. Yes, most of them are just lock-and-forget but there's still some challenging ones, like RPG-7 (with all 4 rocket types, all fly differently), RPG-18, etc.

Yeah I think the SMAW flies in a bit too straight line. You can shoot it to even 1000m with just small adjustment to the aiming... possibly even more, I haven't tried further.

Zandhaas

My preferred aiming method for the UGL is to use the Force.

---

My preferred AT weapon is an adapted version of the BWMod Pzf3 (altered to fix AI dropping consistently short), the sights for that weapon are easy to use with a perfect method for gauging distances. You roughly fit the reticel to the height or length of an armoured vehicle and with the ballistic matching it is almost bound to hit without lockon capability.

Regards,

Sander
Make sure Overlord studies this very carefully before he gets his hands on any grenade launchers Smile
(01-04-2011, 08:36 PM)Zulu1 link Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure Overlord studies this very carefully before he gets his hands on any grenade launchers Smile
???? Do you really want to be banned (for a limited time, lets say the rest of this century)??

LOL, I and UBG is quite a company, ain't we?  Smile
These images seem to have disapeared from the server, does anyone still have them?
You mean from osku's post? I see them just fine.
(10-24-2012, 04:00 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]You mean from osku's post? I see them just fine.

The big ones in the link don't work.