Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Good article on SSDs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Buying SSD for Arma2 - No. But for operating system and its applications, yes it might even be worth of the money. You'll surely get nice speed boost on Windows and also some improvement in Arma2 loading times. I doubt it could affect games' FPS in any way, since not even the modern SATA2/3 HDDs aren't usually the ones that bottle-neck a system (unless your other components are uber-high-end).

When I bought a SSD for Arma2, I was hoping it would cure the infamous changing LODs (as some users reported), but did nothing for that. Only the said loading times were improved. But for OS - it's just awesomeness!
Here's my HDTune results for comparison between HDD vs SDD. These are read speeds only, didn't test write. Dunno if it's gives any practical info, but here we go:

Intel X-25V 40GB SSD SATA2 (in IDE compatibility-mode):
[Image: hdtunebenchmarkintelssd.th.png]

Intel X-25V 40GB SSD SATA2 (in AHCI-mode):
[Image: hdtunebenchmarkintelssd.th.png]

for comparison, 1,5 year old regular but relatively fast HDD @ 7200rpm,

Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB SATA2 :
[Image: hdtunebenchmarksamsunghw.th.png]

and some slightly older regular drives (all 7200rpm though),

Samsung F1 250 GB SATA2, about 3 years old:
[Image: hdtunebenchmarksamsunghu.th.png]

Western Digital 250 GB SATA2, about 3-4 years old :
[Image: hdtunebenchmarkwdcwd250p.th.png]
Thanx on advice Overlord and Osku! And especially Osku for bringing the test results.

I have already purchased new hdd out of need for more capacity, it may bring me some minor allover performance increase. I will wait till prices go down and GB's go up before buying a SSD, and I'm not yet ready to mess up my daily routine which consists of pressing power button and going to make a coffee till windows boots.

Regarding RAM disk, you don't need to put all Arma 2 files on it. You can put only some of the files from Arma 2 folder to RAM disk, those which are accessed more frequently or something. So you don't really need 16GB. Memory is next on my upgrade checklist, I will probably do some testing when I get it.
Will still not give you the overall performance SSD will Smile
But, in my point of view, the best way to upgrade a PC these days is with SSD + RAM. Sadly enough, SSD still is quite expensive, so it is no option for storage space.

Damn my motherboard, it requires a floppy drive during Win 7 install if you want to run your HDD in AHCI mode. And no, it ain't model from 1995, it's the last year's model. Should I buy floppy just to use it once? This is a matter of principle, I refuse to do it. But here I am stuck with hardware which has advanced functions that I cannot use (as a sidenote - MB also complicates your life if you try to connect your HDD SATA 3 port, but that's another long story).

On the other hand I was lucky to buy new hard disk just weeks before this happened:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/20...ke-years/1

It's possible that this will boost SDD sales and as a result of that bring lower prices.

Damn my motherboard, it requires a floppy drive during Win 7 install if you want to run your HDD in AHCI mode. And no, it ain't model from 1995, it's the last year's model. Should I buy floppy just to use it once? This is a matter of principle, I refuse to do it. But here I am stuck with hardware which has advanced functions that I cannot use (as a sidenote - MB also complicates your life if you try to connect your HDD SATA 3 port, but that's another long story).

On the other hand I was lucky to buy new hard disk just weeks before this happened:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/20...ke-years/1

It's possible that this will boost SDD sales and as a result of that bring lower prices.

Here

[link removed - press reply and you can see it below]

If you install W7 it should be possible using USB stick instead of floppy. Check your BIOS if changes are needed.
btw zwobbe, do you check your cia-mail?
It was a nightmare, and I won't go back to it soon, because I had to install my Windows and all other software twice already in just a week. Software that came with motherboard just wouldn't let me make anything other than floppy driver disk. Later I learned that there is some 3rd party software that allows you to put on USB stick, but it was too late and I just grew tired of trying. Anyway, I'm satisfied with my Arma 2 performance and will upgrade my PC next year when Ivy Bridge comes out, and I know Gigabyte isn't my choice for motherboard anymore (already had some problems with their hardware before).

Pages: 1 2