Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Arma 3 is announced!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
As long as there are missions to play, the game is supported and we have fun, I don't see reason on moving on. Well, we could always add a Arma 3 night in addition to our regular coops and see how it goes Smile
The biggest online/multiplayer issue would be hardware requirements. Even if my current home rig meets required specs, I doubt the server does. We'll see, still a few years to wait Smile

New video featuring 20 minutes of gameplay:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3RbJ2CcLg&feature=player_embedded#!

Let's return to the topic of graphics. If Arma is a sim game then it certainly must have realistic graphics, physics and all the stuff that makes it more believable. Ideally, sim game should be something like Star Trek's holodeck, accurately representing the real world. Off course, without unpleasant effects like death or pain (and physical fatigue maybe - you don't want to die from heart attack sitting home playing a computer game). It's just silly how much Arma 2 looks wooden, crude or surrealistically funny in Monty Phyton way. If BIS can improve it - then they should.

This is why i can't play older sims, compared to the new titles they no longer seem believable.

Just my humble opinion.
You might be on spot there Misha; as the games/sims evolve, the gfx will be more important. But in my point of view, animations is also an issue.
Why can't medic heal prone?
Why do medic always rise when he's finished?
Why can't he abort healing?
Why can't launchers be fired from prone position?
And when I'm on it; why can't players fire from choppers/boats/trucks? Or drop nades?

When we wait for ArmA 8, I play Sudoku instead of Quake, just for the gfx experience  ;D

jäger

Healing can be aborted by pressing Z or whatever key is set to 'go prone'
(08-27-2011, 08:14 PM)jäger link Wrote:Healing can be aborted by pressing Z or whatever key is set to 'go prone'
You can simply start to walk away. This would abort healing process too.

About firing from vehicles, it would be nice to have it in the game but not more than that, because in real life it's completely useless and achieves mostly nothing...

jäger

(08-27-2011, 08:26 PM)Variable link Wrote:About firing from vehicles, it would be nice to have it in the game but not more than that, because in real life it's completely useless and achieves mostly nothing...
It might be useful. But it requires weapon capable to fire, like inside of 4x4 MP5 (or pistol) or maybe ability to shoot with assault rifles from APCs when you are 'turn out'. Little more slow phased mission it would be nice to shoot with high-caliber sniper rifle from roof of APC, when APC would be cover behind a hill and sniper lie just above hilltop and grass. But there is more important things that should be constraint before like map design. I think that best BIS-made islands are still in OFP.
Running away from injured TM is not an option, at least not at CiA Smile

Firing from APCs is useful as suppressing fire, and when APC stands still it will give cover from small arms fire (even if you make a bigger target for rockets). Dropping nades from chopper is nice way to clear LZ or lay smoke screen. That's not useless IMPV.

No offense Var, but why do we need a full underwater world, when the game mess up on shore? To cover up faults? THAT'S not the way to do it, I bet BIS manage to introduce a lot more bugs than they ever manage to fix.

And there's still no problem firing ATs prone in real life (personally done it with M72 (OFP LAW parent) and CG),

To summarize, there is a lot more to do with the sim than just give a gfx-boost. As jäger points out; AA2 maps sux. It seems to be a "wanna-be" DNA-clone between an ordinary map and Google Earth which messed up in the test tube.

I might be cocky now, but AA3 is not an option for me yet (judged by previews).

jäger

(08-27-2011, 09:49 PM)Overlord link Wrote:Firing from APCs is useful as suppressing fire, and when APC stands still it will give cover from small arms fire (even if you make a bigger target for rockets). Dropping nades from chopper is nice way to clear LZ or lay smoke screen. That's not useless IMPV.

And there's still no problem firing ATs prone in real life (personally done it with M72 (OFP LAW parent) and CG),
Firing from inside APC at firing ports (holes about 10 cm wide) is doom to fail and all area that armored vehicle is above cover is always bad thing in military environment. Maybe only police can really use APC as hard cover.
Firing from 'turn out' is only meant to empty magazine during when APC is retiring from contact to place where infantry is dismounted. Why not staying inside vehicle, well we know that there is in ArmA2 some MBT, who has loader (guy forced to be turn out and use MG). We also know, which is his life expectancy in field after first contact. Big Grin
Basically infantry can only attack by 'fire and movement' to use their weapons efficiently, when armored vehicles will first after contact defense the area by popping up from cover to random locations to empty its main weapon, retreat to cover and new random location and so on. After area seems to be clear, armored squad push towards enemy lines attack aggressively towards enemy lines by moving only one/two tanks while two or three tanks cover.
Hope you will understand even half of this text mess.

I know that M72 is supposed to fired from prone position, but at least in Chernarussia it would be impossible Big Grin
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm the last guy to defend BIS work after OFP:Resistance. My expectations from Arma 3 are low.
BMP has firing slots in RL (usefulness unknown), and from trucks and boats I guess most guys could fire a round without making havoc inside. So please forget turn out/turn in option, what I'm talking about is the option to at least get the feeling of to be able to fire when fired at, instead of playing sitting duck (for short; aim and fire your weapon). Maybe not high-priority when you play against stupid AI, but it would give PvP missions a new twist.

Why would it be impossible to fire AT prone on Cher? There is always a back-blast to consider, but if the option was implemented, players had to take that in consideration. To nag even a bit more, why can't we fire ATs "backwards"? It's a great CC option.

That's why I say this game/sim need a whole lot more than a new "Underwater Island" and "Pimp My GFX".

Not blaming you Var, just know where you did part of your service Smile
(08-28-2011, 03:26 AM)Overlord link Wrote:Not blaming you Var, just know where you did part of your service Smile
Emphasis on part Wink

jäger

(08-28-2011, 03:26 AM)Overlord link Wrote:BMP has firing slots in RL (usefulness unknown), and from trucks and boats I guess most guys could fire a round without making havoc inside. So please forget turn out/turn in option, what I'm talking about is the option to at least get the feeling of to be able to fire when fired at, instead of playing sitting duck (for short; aim and fire your weapon). Maybe not high-priority when you play against stupid AI, but it would give PvP missions a new twist.
Why would it be impossible to fire AT prone on Cher? There is always a back-blast to consider, but if the option was implemented, players had to take that in consideration. To nag even a bit more, why can't we fire ATs "backwards"? It's a great CC option.
Firing from soft vehicles is much dependent how brave or stupid driver is. After engagement usually smartest thing is either stop vehicle ASAP and dismount yourself or there might be a little chance if you drive through well over 70 km/h or higher speed. From either of case vehicle is bit unstable to do aimed shots even, if you could support weapon to vehicle. I think best chances to be actually firing would be 8-12" barreled SMG or assault rifle. Light weapon which can be stabilized inside of unstable vehicle, it can be handled in tight spaces and you can still support the stock towards shoulder. I don't know about boats, since well haven't been in military boat.

Well M72-rocket is pretty big and there is those stabilizers at back of rocket, which tends to take hit all vegetation. And it seems there will be even heavier grass at Arma3 in some places Big Grin
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/artic..._2.jpg.jpg
I don't care about fancy things like shooting from inside vehicles, that's going to be pretty useless anyway. The vehicle's main gun is the best tool for suppressing the enemy. But being able to better scan the surroundings while sitting in a vehicle would be nice. e.g. looking through the BMP shooting holes or even so the driver would have proper view out of the front side windows: for example in Arma2 humvee, your camera position is too high to be able to see like you should in a car.

But I'm more interested are they going to improve AI behaviour- perhaps finally some response to suppression, more varying tactics, some humane-like behaviour for stationary guards/patrols for not standing like a statue and staring to one spot, no "camping" or fortune-teller enemies behind corners, and making friendly AI under player's command to follow orders like they still did in OFP and Armed Assault. ... Sigh, just dreamin' on...  Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5