Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Arma 2: Custom face guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some custom faces to download
http://www.armedassault.eu/Armed-Assault...ipman.html

Tell me if you know more links where to get them!

How to use them

1. go to "My Documents / ArmA 2"
2. place the .JPG picture there, named as "face.jpg". File size should be below 100kb
3. launch the game, go to Player Profile and select Custom Face
4. to verify how it looks in the actual game, launch editor and place yourself on the map along with one another team member. Then switch to command view (or 3rd person) and pan the camera around yourself

So that was the normal method for using a custom face...

But, with some video cards, mostly ATIs (it seems) there is the pale face bug. I have it myself too. The faces look very different from the original, lacking colors and very pale. While in Player Profile you see the face normally, this bug affects only during the game and concerns everyone in multiplayer - not only you. e.g. if you have this issue on your video card, you see other players' (JPG) custom faces incorrectly, while other players might see them completely normal. Workaround and preferred method would be using PAA format instead of JPG.

For more info, check the BIS forum thread : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1275546

How to convert JPG to PAA

1. Save the picture as TGA / 32-bits per pixel in photoshop (or GIMP, whatever you use)
2. Download Texview 2 and install it
3. Open the TGA file in Texview and save it as "face.paa" in "My Documents / ArmA 2". Remember to remove the "face.jpg" if it's still there..

Check the file size, most likely it'll be way more than 100kb - a bit too much for custom face. You need to re-open the JPG and resize it to 256x256 (assuming it was 512x512 in the first place).

P.S. a good template in PSD format to make/edit your own custom face : http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/index.php?...ils&id=619
I got my face from this Whipman pack too. I don't know any other packs, I think this is the only one. I hope I'm wrong.
How about we all get a "tattoo" of our national flags on the back of our necks like the one I got on my OFP face avatar?
(05-22-2011, 06:22 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]I got my face from this Whipman pack too. I don't know any other packs, I think this is the only one. I hope I'm wrong.
How about we all get a "tattoo" of our national flags on the back of our necks like the one I got on my OFP face avatar?

There's of course the Roccofaces pack , but I don't recommend using addon for some custom faces. It's possible to extract the PAA pictures from that PBO.

(05-22-2011, 06:22 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]How about we all get a "tattoo" of our national flags on the back of our necks like the one I got on my OFP face avatar?

Back of neck in Arma 2 is problematic. The BLUFOR units which we play most of the time have their neck covered by the helmet, some straps etc. Not that big space to place a flag as in OFP.
[b]Here is all faces from characters.pbo in JPG format from Kegetys, and [b]here is a PSD (Photoshop) template file from wipman, with all layers named and separated.
So everyone should use the PAA file so that some people in MP games don't see your face incorrectly??
I think that "bug" is mostly cause ppl compress PAA, or find other ways to mess it up. And I think the bug Osku mention is mostly fixed now, so try with jpg first. Maybe try PAA if ppl comment your pale, sick face Smile
Then I propably shouldn't try to put my own face there! Just to prevent misunderstandings.
I don't think PAA is the problem here. BIS's Texview will save the face in correct PAA format that the game can read correctly. Problem is with JPGs.

If you want go safe with your face - have a little effort and convert it to PAA.

PS. my current face is "pale" in purpose, has whitish colors...
I've no extensive experience with PAA format, but the few times I've made PAA files (using Kegetys PS plugin) they have worked as intended. I'll see if I can find a reason for JPG trouble, there's lot of settings there which ppl normally don't use, and even fewer really understand.

Zandhaas

The PAA plugin is no longer working 100% correctly with Arma II. It is better to create .tga files and then open them in Texview to convert to .paa format.

Regards,

Sander