Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Alternative for WMP12?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone have in mind good freeware music player - alternative for Windows Media Player 12?

So far I've tried the following which didn't quite please me:
- Winamp
- MediaMonkey
- Media Jukebox 14

Like those above, it should have modern interface and music library where I can sort songs by Artist, Title, etc. file system tree to browse through would be enough as well.
hi,

Foobar2000 seems to corespond to your wishes.

Main features:
Quote:  - Supported audio formats: MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, Musepack, Speex, AU, SND... and more with additional components.
  - Gapless playback.
  - Full unicode support.
  - Easily customizable user interface layout.
  - Advanced tagging capabilities.
  - Support for ripping Audio CDs as well as transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component.
  - Full ReplayGain support.
  - Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
  - Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.
Some screens of the player.

cya.

Nikiller
what didn't you like about winamp?
(05-29-2011, 05:52 AM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]what didn't you like about winamp?

The Winamp interface was awkward to use, tiny buttons etc. And I didn't like the media library opening in separate window than the player itself.

I'm still testing the MediaMonkey I mentioned. It's almost perfect now after I found some custom skins and way to hide all unnecessary toolbars.

I'm going to try Foobar2000 as well, thanks for the tip Nikiller.
(05-29-2011, 10:09 AM)Osku link Wrote: [ -> ][quote author=Variable link=topic=2485.msg14479#msg14479 date=1306641154]
what didn't you like about winamp?

The Winamp interface was awkward to use, tiny buttons etc. And I didn't like the media library opening in separate window than the player itself.

I'm still testing the MediaMonkey I mentioned. It's almost perfect now after I found some custom skins and way to hide all unnecessary toolbars.

I'm going to try Foobar2000 as well, thanks for the tip Nikiller.
[/quote]

I'm still using and sticking with MediaMonkey. Excellent player. I even found WMP style skin for it:

[Image: mediamonkey.th.jpg]

I need the ability to browse and sort the music through directory tree, not only by MP3 ID tags, so that narrowed the choices. Foobar and Winamp was out of the question because of that. MM has all the good features of WMP that I liked, but without Microsoft's infamous reliability, slow updating/seeking media library or forced calling to Internet to retrieve song data.