Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: New Mission : co08 Comrades In Trouble
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Comrades In Trouble - co08_comrades_in_trouble_v1_2.pbo

BACKGROUND:

"The US forces has now control of almost all Chernarus soil. The OPFOR was beaten to nearly last man. And those few ones who survived have already fleed, except us...

Our team, consisting of eight russian army soldiers, are the last ones to leave this land in a Mi-8 chopper. We left the airport in hurry and had to leave most of our gear behind. Shortly after the departure, the americans saw us on radar and fired anti-air missile at us. Helicopter got damaged and leaking fuel, we had to make hasty landing on the old junkyard near Myshkino.

The villagers panicked and informed the local police (which US had earlier won on their side), who then forwarded the news to US commanders. They both are eager driving us off from here.

TASKS:

Meet the courier
Disable AA
Optional: Recon
Fix the chopper
Escape

[Image: mapiy.th.jpg] [Image: choppap.th.jpg]

---

We have played the first version and we got wiped out at the first objective (AA), but second time which was last night we completed it without casualties. In my opinion, it's was little bit too easy with full eight players. I'll leave it that way - it's nice to complete something. And keep it still playable with even less than 4 players. And, slight variations on enemy forces can be expected.

I fixed the JIP problem by adding enabling respawn. (AI is still disabled).

This was my first Arma2 mission. Next one will be hopefully coming soon - with some lessons learned.

Those who participated playing this mission, please give any bad or good feedback so I know what to improve and consider in my future missions. But one thing is sure in my mission creations - you will be provided limited amounts of equipment, forced to familiarize yourself with iron sights, and the gear found on the battlefield will be carefully controlled. Wink
hi,

Technically I have nothing to say the mission works well (good fps, objectives working, end when complete, no scripting error...). IMHO, only spectacte script and proper mission name in the editor intel are lacking.

- Overall, I found the mission too easy.

- I like the limited weapons in the mission it increase pressure and increase a lot the feeling to be abandonned by our country.

- Good job for the atmosphere (light, time of day, fog level...).

- I like the low number of enemies, maybe make few of them really deadly so players will have to think twice before attacking them if it's not necessary. We are in enemy territory after all.

- Due to little number of enemies a big randomness (I mean a big bunch of different AI scenario) should be implemented (urban parol script or UPSMON or even ACM module with low probability setting would be perfect) or the replayability will be very low. People will know where AIs are, even if they're at 2-3 random position. and it will become very easy.

- Maybe make the AA site more fortified (fences, bunkers...) and harder to conquier.

- For the chopper extraction, I suggest to populate the US airport with some AA and some choppers hunting us if we are detected would be nice. Like that, players will have to study the best way to get out of here without being detected, only good/smart pilot can do it (flying very low, be able to launch counter measures very fast...).

Usually for their first mission people have tendency to make a world war mission with a ton of feature but you avoided this trap and you designed a good mission who works well, good job for that. Looking forward to play your next mission.

cya.

Nikiller.
I agree, the re-play value is very low - even when playing the 2nd time it felt very predictable. Even though I placed many units probability of presence to 50-75 percent.

With the enemy skill level, I wanted to keep it semi-low (~25 percent), because most of the enemies have only iron-sights and in example at the AA site the enemies see through the tall grass easily and appear to have unhuman senses. If I set the guys guarding AA skill low, and others higher, the skilled guys might move by themself from the next objective. It gets messed up?

I had already added surprise at the south airport for version 1.2. And there's a enemy chopper buzzing around which might be present or might not.

Thanks Nik for your valuable feedback! Smile
hi,

(06-02-2011, 04:43 PM)Osku link Wrote: [ -> ]With the enemy skill level, I wanted to keep it semi-low (~25 percent), because most of the enemies have only iron-sights and in example at the AA site the enemies see through the tall grass easily and appear to have unhuman senses. If I set the guys guarding AA skill low, and others higher, the skilled guys might move by themself from the next objective. It gets messed up?
Totally agree those terminator AIs who see throught vegetation are pretty anoying. But there's a solution to have smart enemies without having 1shot/1kill enemies. It is the setSkill array. With this command you can for example make the AI spot you and fire from far away if you engage them (it means that they don't stay like idiot crawling and running around without any goal if you fire on them from far) and at the same time make AI accuracy acceptable.

Here's a little script to set the setSkill array level:

set_skill_array.sqf
Code:
/*
======================================================
Set Skill Script for ArmA2 by Nikiler v0.9b
nul=unitName execVM "set_skill_array.sqf"
*/

if (!isServer) exitWith {};

_this setSkill ["spotDistance",0.7];
_this setSkill ["spotTime",0.7];
_this setSkill ["commanding",0.9];
_this setSkill ["aimingShake",0.3];
_this setSkill ["aimingAccuracy",0.3];

if (true) exitWith {};

I made a little demo to show how it works.

DEMO LINK

Play with the script values to obtain the wanted result.

cya.

Nikiller.
hi,

(06-02-2011, 04:43 PM)Osku link Wrote: [ -> ]With the enemy skill level, I wanted to keep it semi-low (~25 percent), because most of the enemies have only iron-sights and in example at the AA site the enemies see through the tall grass easily and appear to have unhuman senses. If I set the guys guarding AA skill low, and others higher, the skilled guys might move by themself from the next objective. It gets messed up?

Totally agree those terminator AIs who see throught vegetation are pretty anoying. But there's a solution to have smart enemies without having 1shot/1kill enemies. It is the setSkill array. With this command you can for example make the AI spot you and fire from far away if you engage them (it means that they don't stay like idiot crawling and running around without any goal if you fire on them from far) and at the same time make AI accuracy acceptable.

set_skill_array.sqf
Code:
/*
*/

_this setSkill ["spotDistance",1];
_this setSkill ["aimingShake",0.5];
_this setSkill ["aimingAccuracy",0.5];

if (true) exitWith {};

http://www.multiupload.com/2648BYSB2M

cya.

Nikiller.
Osku, this is an excellent mission. I enjoyed both times we played it. I liked the atmosphere, the multiple challenges, and the lack of sufficient ammo. Our battle for the AA hill on the first try was nothing lesss than epic. Quick and close range shoot-out with the AA crew (never killed before that many enemies using only a silenced makarov), and then the fight against their counter attack was intense and thrilling.
I liked the first, more darker version actually, but both were great. I wouldn't limit the number of players but since the mission could use a difficulty boost, some more enemies could be better.
I wanted to ask too- how can a group of ai's told to protect a defined area and prevented from leaving that area to fight far enemies?
hi,

set_skill_array.sqf
Code:
/*
*/

if (true) exitWith {};

cya.

Nikiller.
hi,

set_skill_array.sqf
Code:
/*
*/

if (true) exitWith {};

cya.

Nikiller.
(06-02-2011, 11:25 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]I wanted to ask too- how can a group of ai's told to protect a defined area and prevented from leaving that area to fight far enemies?

Nikiller told me on TS that if enemy unit is on GUARD waypoint anywhere on the map, they might start moving by themself towards the contact that was made by another group/unit.

I replaced my GUARD wps with MOVE - it appears to be working now as I intended to.

EDIT: I just realized little funny thing - I have used Crewman unit as helicopter crewmen. So few units in group have those armor helmets (or whatever you call them)...  ;D
Osku, if I read you right, you are also fond of "lighted night" missions, so you might want to check this script out. It can set all kind of coloured, lighted nights. I use it in my coming "Breaking Hercules" mission.
Demo mission attached. Play with the values on the init fields to change the effects to your liking.
hi,

set_skill_array.sqf
Code:
/*
*/

if (true) exitWith {};

cya.

Nikiller.
hi,

set_skill_array.sqf
Code:
/*
*/

if (true) exitWith {};

(06-03-2011, 11:54 AM)Osku link Wrote: [ -> ]Nikiller told me on TS that if enemy unit is on GUARD waypoint anywhere on the map, they might start moving by themself towards the contact that was made by another group/unit.

I replaced my GUARD wps with MOVE - it appears to be working now as I intended to.

Yes we talked about that on TS, for futher information look at http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Waypoint:Guard; There's very useful info about the power of the GUARD waypoint. This waypoint if used properly will simulate a kind of communication between AIs. You can also use it in conjunction with SENTRY waypoint. But maybe I should open a totally new topic to explain the differents waypoints.

(06-03-2011, 03:31 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]Osku, if I read you right, you are also fond of "lighted night" missions, so you might want to check this script out. It can set all kind of coloured, lighted nights. I use it in my coming "Breaking Hercules" mission.
Demo mission attached. Play with the values on the init fields to change the effects to your liking.

Very useful thx Variable.

cya.

Nikiller.