Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Simple Spawn System - Ideas & Feedback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi !

Im currently working on a simple but effective spawn system.
The basic idea behind this is that all you have to do to populate a specific area with defending & patroling squads, vehicles and even air units is to place one single trigger.

The script will spawn the units at logical locations already defined by BIS.
You will be able to choose the chance (randomness) for spawning and also the max. amount of units.
And, of course you can choose the faction which should spawn.  Wink

There will be a "intensity" setting from 1 to 3:
1 is low intensity combat, only small and light armed enemy squads and vehicles
2 is mediunm intensity combat, medium size groups with heavy weapons. Also IFV's and helicopters.
3 is heavy intensity combat, big groups, special units & snipers + tanks and attack planes.

If you have any ideas what else i should or could include then just tell me your ideas !
I will soon release a "alpha version" of the script so you can test it.
I'm just searching for an old script used in OFP who did (basically) the same. The basic idea behind that (if I remember correctly), was to reduce amount of AIs due to OFP limit. Even if AA2 has "no limit", there would be nice to keep AIs to minimum due to server performance, and easier mission settings. That script was activated by triggers, depending if it was players in the area or not. Maybe that's something to consider?
Secondly, you did choose units to spawn in the script, can be handy to change units from time to time, just for the fun of it, if nothing else Smile
You know DAC is doing this already? If you dont know it yet, check it out :-).
http://armed-assault.de/downloads/dac-v30.html
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10621
I love using it to just fiddling around on my own and implemented it on that insane mission we played tonight. Insane because it was way too bad performance due to my bad scripting/DAC knowledge. One of the guys from tonight gave me already a solution to improve this part, so be ready for another go on it :-).

Cheers
  Tony

I'm not too keen on DAC, mainly cause it (IME) create unnecessary load on server. This could be (or is) due to my non-exiting knowledge of DAC setup. My main effort is to try spawn units where they are needed, nowhere else. Guess that will keep server load to minimum, we have more power to play around with Smile
right OL, you have to check DAC out if you need this things. Its just what it can do among other mayn things: You can define zones where you want to have enemies (or friendlies) on the start, you can decide, if new zones are genereated while the mission is running, and DAC will automatically reduce all units which are not in a certain range all the time the mission is running. Morover the AI will have a grouplink, so they call their pals to help them, which means you have to be really on the move... So it will take out the maximum you can have ;-). But of course its quite complex and it will take a while until you can use it really effective, as we could see tonight on my mission ;-). In any way, its the best you can get right now when you want to use dynamic AI´s. But of course -  you dont have to ;-).
Tony
Any options is better than placing AIs all over the island where players can move. I bet using DAC is the best way to it, but it require correct implementation. I stay away from DAC ftm, cause it make missions unplayable if it's not set up correctly. Not my fault, I'm just a noob.
yeah, right with you there: The settings affords some skill from the missionmaker, as everything in Arma Editing, especially in MP. If oyu use it jsut for fun for your own missions, its a really quick way to lets say have zargabad filled up with patrolling enemies, all trying to hunt you down and you can play it your own, never knowing how it will turn out at the end :-). Ha i love this.
But what i really wanted to point out is, that Wiggum is problably working on a thing, that already exists, i dunno. Thats why i put my hint on it, so Wiggum can check and decide what to do.

Greets
  Tony

Hi !

@ DAC

I already know about DAC and (personal opinion !) dont like it...
Its to heavy and does to much stuff i dont need. I create all of my scripts because i need them and share them just because i think someone else could think its useful too.

While playing Fat Tony's mission we encountered some small problems (performance & wrong enemys). Thats already a point for me to say the script is too complex. I want to creat something that is nearly impossible to use in a wrong way.

@ Spawning

The concept behind my script is to have it look like the units were placed by using the editor.
And as you would do using the editor, you will most likely not spawn that much stuff inside the mission area.
But sure its possible via other triggers to let the script spawn units if the player is leaving the mission area.
I just think there is no point in spawning enemy AI over the whole island as the player moves, most missions are restricted to a specific place on the map anyway.

@ Grouplink AI

The Enemy patrols and defenders will use a scrip i have already done that also helps the AI with sharing informations. Vehicles will get a HOLD or GUARD waypoint and AIR units a SAD+ CYCLE WP.
That should be enough to keep the player busy...  ;D
Ok guys, here is a DEMO mission so you can see how it will work:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-3896...m.zip.html

I think you know what to do with the folder, just fire it up in the editor and do what the hints say.  Wink
The mission folder is full of trash, but everything the script needs is inside the "simple_spawn_system" folder.
You can play around with the size of the trigger or the way in which the script is called but be aware, its not failsafe yet !

Code:
handle = [pos,distance,faction,chance,intensity,debug] execFSM "..."
You can change the faction,chance (0.1-1),intensity (1-3) or distance for example.

The debug markers:
Red Marker = Inf
Blue Marker = Veh
Green Marker = Air
(change the faction to "USMC" and intensity to 2 to see some Air units, the "GUE" faction dont has any air units !)

You will notice how much randomness is involved, but the mission designer is still in control i think
The script is great for creating some Coop mission (not MP compatible yet !) very quick.

As always...feedback please !  Smile
Here is a new version:
  • Now using SHK_Pos
  • Added a reinforcements spawn
  • Other small tweaks

Download:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-3906...s.zip.html

i'am looking for a simple random spawn script.

I made one with an adapt of the random_patrol.sqf, with raduis on the spawn area, and a raduis for patroling, but nedd to change script with units to spawn.

I cannot dld your files on this server, in german language, too bad.

Have you finally release this one ?
(03-09-2012, 03:08 PM)zeufman link Wrote: [ -> ]Have you finally release this one ?
I think he posted it on the BI board, maybe it's available there. I'll check later.
Hi new guy here.  I know this thread is a bit stale but I just wanted to point out that DAC, while it is complex, is the BEST option for what you are trying to do.  It is complex because it is extremely customizable and can be tailored to work with any units/mods/weapons, etc.

It took me a few weeks of playing around with it to really get the hang of it and properly configure it.  If anyone wants to learn more about it I would be happy to share any knowledge  Smile

Edit:  forgot to say thanks for sharing code snips and scripts.. very helpful.. some of the download links do not work any more