Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: American Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hola, Compadres!
A few years back (maybe it was last year? I can't remember), we discussed, briefly, American football. Well, if you're curious and able to get US T.V., this Saturday and Sunday would be a great time to tune in (cf. nfl.com for the schedule). Tomorrow's game between New England and Denver looks like it might get record-breaking ratings over here. Hopefully, it'll be a good one!
Later!
Anguis
A good place to watch games live (although mighty late for us Euro guys) is http://www.firstrowsports.com . Free streaming starts usually a couple of minutes before the game. A large share of my college team watches the games there, they not only stream NFL but also college games and some selected (AAA & AAAA) highschool bowl games.

If you got any questions regarding rules etc., feel free to ask. I have been playing football for more than 8 years now, so I know a bit  Wink

Also, tonight's game NO Saints @ SF 49ers should be great, as it's a major showdown between arguably the best offense (Saints) and the best defense of the NFL currently.

Thanks for that site Panther. I usually just download the games I'm interested in from a torrent site, but a live stream is a bit easier Smile
(01-14-2012, 02:10 PM)Panther.at link Wrote: [ -> ]A good place to watch games live (although mighty late for us Euro guys) is www.firstrowsports.com . Free streaming starts usually a couple of minutes before the game. A large share of my college team watches the games there, they not only stream NFL but also college games and some selected (AAA & AAAA) highschool bowl games.

If you got any questions regarding rules etc., feel free to ask. I have been playing football for more than 8 years now, so I know a bit  Wink

Also, tonight's game NO Saints @ SF 49ers should be great, as it's a major showdown between arguably the best offense (Saints) and the best defense of the NFL currently.

Great post, Panther! It's great to hear from a European player! I was in a park somewhere in Germany (Berlin or Munich, I can't remember) in 1993, and it was cool to see a group of guys in pads(!) playing what looked like a pick-up game (maybe it was a practice). It's also cool to know you've played for a while - I regret not having played when I was in high school.

If SF's defense ends up good enough to put points on the board, that could turn out to be a really interesting game. If Denver can't keep Brady on the bench, anti-climax will be the theme of the night. . .
That was quite a great 4th quarter  8)
(01-15-2012, 03:13 AM)mikey link Wrote: [ -> ]That was quite a great 4th quarter  8)
Unbelieveable. That 4th quarter is why we watch sports.     
As much as the Saint's loss hurts my fan heart, I have to say this game was legen... wait for it... I'll finish this one in my next post in this thread  Wink

The first thing a cocky power offense get's told is the golden rule of american football: " great offenses win matchups, great defenses win tournaments" and it really showed again tonight. What an outstanding job the 49ers did in holding Brees and the gang in check.

And of course, from a WR's perspective, there's nothing more beautiful than seeing a receiver make that last chance, game winning catch. Can't wait for our season's start now to get back into action myself  ;D

@ Anguis

I think that game you saw might have been in Munich, there's quite a few places there where you'll find people for pick-up games during our Euro off-season (spring/early summer). Haven't seen or heard of anything similar in Berlin, at least not on a regular basis. 

Btw, if you regret not having played, it's never too late to start. There's quite a few really good amateur flag leagues in the states, a quick google search should bring something up in your area. Of course it's flag and it takes away the contact, but it will give you the best all-around workout one can ever ask for and after all - it's football Big Grin

(01-15-2012, 04:09 AM)Anguis Viridis link Wrote: [ -> ]Unbelieveable. That 4th quarter is why we watch sports.     

This.
So, I think I'm only gonna have enough time to watch 1 game tomorrow, which one should I watch?

And I'm still waiting panther. Luckily no one is lactose intolerant here...

8)
Hi, mikey - just saw your post, sorry. I'm watching Patriots-Ravens, right now, and it's shaping up into a good one, so far. I think both games are going to be good. I would've leaned toward the San Francisco-New York game, if I had to pick one.

Regarding the SF game last week, my 70+ year old father-in-law said it was the best he'd ever seen! Panther, if you're still up for it, your analysis of that game would be very interesting to me.
What an ending.
Sorry, been terribly busy lately, so not much time to play/hop on TS, let alone watch todays match ups on TV. Thank god for livestreams and smartphones  8)

To satisfy mikey first: ...dary!  ;D

Which brings me directly into a short assesment of the 49ers today and a little in retrospect of last weeks game.

First off, I have to say it's easy to agree with your father's assesment Anguis -  a brief analysis after the game is found in my last post above - as it's really late over here I can go into more detail tomorrow if you're still interested and rather focus on tonight's matchups  Smile

After tonight's 49ers - Giants game, one can definately say that that was not the 49ers from last sunday though. The 49ers were largely a defense oriented team  throughout the season, however the offense was there until today to capitalize on the huge victories achieved by their defense and when the roof was on fire (read - last weekend  Wink ) also capable of shelling out bigplays.

The defense held up well today, just as well as in the Saints game - however if you don't want to leave it all on the field at the present day in the offense, there will most likely be no games left to achieve championship, let alone the Lombardi trophy. I hate to say it, but from a Receiver's perspective, the 49er's pass-game performance was p*ss poor today.

A deserved win for the Giants? Disputable as the haven't shown that "fire" to win either, however they now represent the NFC in the Superbowl and they have to put their minds forward to that. If they do not step up their defense and special team performance, they will stand little to no chance against the Pats. Even then, Manning has been notorious imo throught the season (and his carreer for that matter) in perfoming poorer and poorer as the pressure rises and we shall see if he can finally get a handle on his nerves.  After all, you can't put the stakes higher than a Superbowl, can you?

Don't get me wrong, he is a great QB when he is on top of his game and the Superbowl ring, dated 2008 absolutely shows it - but it seems as if he needs to fight his demons each and every time he sets foot onto the gridiron.

In the end, what really won that game for the Giants tonight, was the 49ers special team as each of their two mistakes led to a crucial score for the Giants - two unexcusable mistakes if I may add.

All in all, the 49ers are still  very young team when it comes to the offense and can defintely be a force to be reckoned with for the next season - the Giants not so much in their current stage. Being lucky may get you through this one but they really will have to step up their game. After all, it's football and at this top level anything can happen so we'll enjoy a very interesting superbowl.

Now off to the second game:

As pleasant as it was to see the Ravens fight back the Patriots steamroller, in the end the result is a deserved win for the Patriots. A lucky one maybe - how often do you see kickers missing goals like that in a vital situation - but overall, they prooved to be the more creative team when it came down to finding a way to overcome the very strong Raven defense, which is a joy to watch each time.

Interestingly, the NFL asked the question if the Ravens can re-establish their fame of being a NFL dynasty in this game and despite the loss they performed well. Frankly speaking better than most people out there might have excpected. If they can keep the drive that brough them into this game and improve on their offensive capabilities (especially in the passing game) - we'll see them again next year in the playoffs for sure. So overall, very similar to the 49ers however the road is by far not as rocky as on the other side of the states.

It may even include swapping Joe Flacco for Tyrod Tayler who performed outstandingly as a QB  throughout his career at Virginia Tech.

The Patriots have definately mastered their opponent today, although the score doesn't reflect that really, largely due to the very strong Raven's defense. They ran the ball when they had to, they made the passes count when they had to and Tom brady stepped up and did rise to the moment when he had to - that is after performing outstandingly in the short passing game. Couple that with a defense that did their job in key moments with fewer and fewer mistakes now every game and you found the recipe to go to the Superbowl.

Overall, we got a very interesting Superbowl coming up and if the Giants step up their game and finally show that championship drive, it won't be a walk in the park after all for the guys from Boston. Thus, the true winners will once again be us, the fans , especially since we don't have to endure Steven Tyler singing the national anthem  ;D
Nice write-up, Panther! I had read it soon after you posted, but haven't been able to respond until now. I think you're right about the true winners of the upcoming game. That's how it turned out in 2007! This'll be a fun night - I've got the beer ready. Now, I need to get some party food going!

In case you haven't seen these guys, here's a detailed analysis from Football Outsiders: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/game-pr...vi-preview
DVOA is explained at the bottom.
Interesting analysis, but I prefer my gut feeling over all those numbers and graphs  8)

Anyhow, I've got all the drinks and snacks ready, so I can't wait for an epic game.

Go Patriots!

edit:
mehh  :-\
(02-05-2012, 10:58 PM)mikey link Wrote: [ -> ]Go Patriots!

edit:
mehh  :-\

As indicated above (veiled as it was), with the note that 2007's was a great game, this was another one, for the same reason. I have to say, I'm really happy for Eli, again! The beer's been tasting really good over here! ;D

Edit: Now, there is a bit of a loss for all of us interested in this stuff: the end of the season. We have to wait until next Fall for this circus to roll around again. :'(
You got another sport streaming website Panther? The one you posted has been seized by Homeland Security, and I was kinda hoping I could watch a bit of the Nascar shootout tonight  >Sad