Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Thank you for the game - great fun!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Just like to say that I had a great time on the CiA server last night.  OK, it didn't go completely to plan but it was still a decent couple of hours of Arma-ing!

I recorded most of it, but unfortunately for some reason the chat didn't get recorded, so I won't bother editing and posting it - I'll sort out the issue for next time!

Thanks for making me welcome last night and thanks for not putting me through a " you 'orrible little man, drop and give me 20" training schedule first.  I think that my gunner needs target identification and shooting practice though!
Had great time too! It's nice to see new people joining up to the games, since the player base here seems to change a lot nowadays.
And it seems that yesterday nobody was on their best, neither the newer guys nor the more persistent gamers at the server. We sure had our fair share of miscommunications and misunderstandings! And of course it's nice to have some collective laughs every once in a while! Big Grin
But at some point, some players could have focused a bit more on the game. Let the commander speak and leave the amusing stuff on the long drives and slot screens.

It could be mentioned in the rules and made a RULE that once the commander or a team leader yells "Break, break", all other communicating should stop, and everyone should expect for command or advice from the leaders. This command could also be used more.

Though this should be self-evident to everyone...
Agreed - it seemed to go better when we were communicating properly!

Have you guys considered using ACRE?  Switching TS channels and mixing it with VOIP/VON seemed to be a bit cumbersome? 

Still, will probably join in again on Friday and/or Sunday.
Glad to hear you enjoyed playing Jedra!
We had bad luck with the selected missions. At these numbers (we were 18 on the server!) mission variety becomes limited and many of the missions are out dated.
I'll do some work on identifying good quality missions for 15+ and mark them on the missions list.
About ACRE - since we rarely play with such a high player count, the benefits of ACRE diminish. However, if we will keep on marking that numbers, we should consider ACRE!
I'm really glad you join us Jedra. You are exactly the type we like!
For me the in-game VOIP wasn't working at all. I can't speak and this time I couldn't even hear anyone else speak, unless they were very close to me. Usually using group chat or vehicle chat for communication inside different teams or vehicles has worked very well but this time this option was completely negated by my issues, at least for whatever team or vehicle I was in. Sad

I still haven't identified the issue unfortunately and I think I need to re-install the whole game at some point to fix it. :/
I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this caused for everyone else.
Mine wasn't working either I don't think - maybe we should start the game with a comms check next time!  Most times I have played online recently has been exclusively with TS - I haven't used in game voice for ages.  I might just have had the settings wrong in-game.

I use a USB headset for voice/chat and a soundblaster via digital amp for game sounds.  Because Arma uses the windows default devices rather than having a proper audio set up it's always been a bit tricky to use with more than one device!

Anyway, should be good to play on Friday.
(08-23-2012, 05:03 AM)Nouty link Wrote:For me the in-game VOIP wasn't working at all. I can't speak and this time I couldn't even hear anyone else speak, unless they were very close to me.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but maybe you dropped your radio into an ammo crate or during the briefing?
Hahah, or maybe I dropped the antenna, since all I could hear was some clipping noises and static Wink
(08-23-2012, 05:03 AM)Nouty link Wrote:For me the in-game VOIP wasn't working at all. I can't speak and this time I couldn't even hear anyone else speak, unless they were very close to me. Usually using group chat or vehicle chat for communication inside different teams or vehicles has worked very well but this time this option was completely negated by my issues, at least for whatever team or vehicle I was in. Sad

I still haven't identified the issue unfortunately and I think I need to re-install the whole game at some point to fix it. :/
I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this caused for everyone else.

I'm sure you checked this, but if the VOIP volume is low in the audio options, direct communications still works normally. E.g., turning VOIP down to minimum will mute side, global, vehicle, etc. chatter but will still allow direct communication as normal.
Remember that in the recent beta patches, voip operates on a different port! So that means you cannot transmit or hear anything as long as other clients and the server use the plain 1.62.

So I'll advise using an older beta, or plain 1.62.
Yeah this was very apparent in last nights games. I disabled the beta and my VOIP was working fine, everyone who was using new(ish) beta was unable to use the in-game VOIP to speak. So yeah, disable the beta for future games and use vanilla to ensure fluid comms Smile

Good thing is that in 1.63 there will be major VOIP improvements Smile