Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: DCS: World
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
so few kaboomz ... yea i can handle one i think
My choice would be A-10C loaded with mavericks and some rockets and unguided bombs.
I could try Huey as well, it may be entertaining as well because it wil look like pig rodeo.
Oh no, something came up again... I mean, it's a risky day as usual.  So, skipping another Saturday. Keep on flying!
So another DCS night.

We started the night off with "Gun Run" which we finally managed to complete with one A10 destroyed, one damaged and one intact, well until our shenanigans but never mind.
I thought that the whole wingman and watching each others approaches worked really and we were able to do follow up attacks pretty quickly. 
I thought about modifying it so that 4 players start already airborne, so we can use it as a warm up mission before playing longer more complex fixed wing missions like OP Bactria. Your guys thoughts?

Gepard and Shark Ep.1 Showed us that we all need to practice our rotor wing skills  ;D . No enemy contact and two out of three helicopters are down and burning at WP 1. GO TEAM! Thats why I put two missions with nobody shooting back at us at the start of the campaign.

I think the canyon mission by Manuel has a lot of potential, but apart from the design changes we already talked about, I think we really need to stop doing our random Kamikazy attacks. Everytime we are beeing ambushed by Manpads or AAA there is a 50% change of one of us (usually me or Unnamed) screaming GOING IN FOR GUNS and dying. We should really stop doing that and be just a tad more defensive.

Op Bactria was great once again. Awesome interaction from the first run in to the last shot fired. Im really looking forward to Manuels video. I thought one could really tell that we all gained more situational awarness and were rewarded with a much higer surviveability. Unlike last time only slight damage to one out of three aircraft and some really fun formation flying at the end. Im already working on a mission that emulates this style of mission, but its a lot more time consuming than just placing targets somewhere. Till then we still got quite a few Bactria taskings to work through.

In our last mission I was sceptical, because of our amazing track record with helicopters that night, but I learned something right at the start: Check your damn compass Tongue .
I really like the mission concept, however I would prefer to either fly transport or CAS for realism and maybe one or two fewer MANPADS. Also I wouldnt mind not seeing the troops beeing transport if it means we dont get the roger bug. You can still manipulate the weight the give you the feel.
I am glad i remembered the first try on gun run and set my CM on auto... and repeated it several times hoping everyone got the clue... as close as we were to the targets it didnt really help and i too took some damage put managed to limp back with some navigation help from sithis. ... looked like we were about to land two birds, until sithis got distracted when he checked my gear and accidentially flew through me ... and i triggered my gun as i though he had done it on purpose as a joke xD.... at least the tail of his a10 was missing before so my damage wasnt necessarily the critical one xD... well atleast my a10 was still up for a belly landing.

A hot /airborne start version would definately be a nice warm up mission

i just want to note that i only crashed my chopper after i though th we mission was lost anyways.... eventhough it was in a botched landing xD... i really want a hud on that thing....

on the canyon mission we were surprised by AAA at the IP .... trying to attack them with guns didnt help.... but with the next plane we knew better and packed clusterbombs which I will definately bring on the next try again.

Bactria was really great... even though i like my targeting pod which unfortunately is almost not able to show smoke markers
Sorry, but the new Bactria Video will be delayed, the raw footage has some sound issues, can't do much about it with my current editing software...

Anyways:
I really liked Gun Run, even though I got f'd in the a not to far into the mission... I'm really starting to like those low-tech attacks, no targeting pod or fancy laser guided stuff, just guns and rockets and ye goode olde eye balls Smile
I think this would be a nice warm up mission too. I don't know about the airborne start, the air field is not that far away from the AO, maybe just a hot start? But I'm cool with airborne too, just my 2 cents...

I really have troubles getting that ka50 start up into my head, sorry. I managed to do it the day before, but I still sometimes forget steps...
I checked the track of that mission to see why I crashed my chopper. I thought it must have been a power line, but nope. There was nothing close to my chopper. It just suddenly jerks its tail up, the rotor blades seem to touch and down I go... Maybe a lag-induced glitch?

Well, the 'canyon mission' (river raider) was designed to be hard, potentially too hard to see how far I can go. I made the changes we talked about, maybe that's already enough to beat it next time. I also moved the A10s to a closer airport. There's a lot of waiting time for the uh-1, I want to try to reduce that.

I can't say much else about Bactria than I love it. Great fun, and this time we really improved our coordination.

Sorry that the last mission went that bad, I tried a couple times to get to the AO alone and made it almost every time. I probably had it much easier because I had some idea what to expect. What do you think, tone the AA threats down a little?
About the loadouts for the helos, I agree with Sithis. The idea was for the hueys to be able to fly CAS after delivering the infantry, but thats just too much weight. It's possible to do it but it's not much fun flying like that.
That roger bug didn't occur while testing in single player, so I didn't know this would happen. I know the issue from the mission but I it didn't occur to me that it might happen again... sorry.

And a short follow up on that quick lecture about the gyrocompass:
For better understanding (if you don't know already): A gyrocompass is not really a compass at all, there's nothing to it that tells it where north is. It's just a compass-scale attached to a gyro which makes it keep its orientation in space. In most airplanes in DCS the gyrocompass is somehow controlled by some electronical system that adjusts it automatically. In many simple aircrafts (such as the huey), this is not the case. You will have to set it manually, using the magnetic compass as reference. Most aircrafts (maybe all?) have a magnetic compass, so what your great great great (...) great grandfather used to cross the oceans and stuff...

Here's where it gets fun, you have to check your gyrocompass constantly because it drifts (I don't know how accuratly this is simulated in DCS, but it's good to know that this is a thing). An ideal gyro (perfect balance, no friction) would maintain it's orientation in space. No actual gyro is that perfect, so they will change orientation over time. So don't be surprised if after half an hour it's not in sync with the magnetic compass anymore.
So why use that stupid thing in the first place when we have a perfectly good magnetic compass? Short answer: the magnetic compass is only reliable when it does not experience any acceleration (so when standing on the ground or flying straight and level). That is actually nicely simulated in DCS, just look at the A-10s magnetic compass next time you throttle up for take off. Or try to turn to a specific heading using only the magnetic compass (it will lie to you!).

That drift story is also true for all other gyro-instruments, e.g. the HSI (aka artificial horizon). This thing may also be connected to some fancy computer gizmo to make life easier for you, but if not it too has to be adjusted from time to time. I noticed that the ka50s backup HSI seems to drift, so that might be true for other ones, in other aircrafts, too.

Enough education, here's a some footage from last coop night (after uploading I noticed rendering errors in several shots, I'll try and fix that when I have time...)
I like the Bactria Video already. Espacially the fuck ups at the end. Also thanks for the intro into aviation gyro-compass systems. It makes me shiver just thinking about adjusting a precision instrument like a gyro compass to something crude and unprecise like the magnetic compass. With a ship it takes two days to adjust all compass systems and the gyro-compass is not allowed to deviate by more than 0,5° from the true bearing, but hey we got GPS and a Nav-Track so who cares right  Tongue .

But most importantly:
WHO IS UP FOR FLYING ON SATURDAY? SAME TIME SAME PLACE!

I wont be there. not at home this weekend
I have time this Saturday Smile
I should be able to finally play, but then, nobody knows  Smile
Has anyone tried Nevada map? Worth it? My impression is that it does not look much nice, I mean, some FSX maps look much better, but then, I haven't seen it on my computer yet. Second, not many real scenarios are possible on that kind of map and desert terrain might be boring.
@ Misha: Where were you I have a Su27 vs F15 mission in the pipe for several weeks now  Tongue

Yeah that is the biggest concern most people have regarding NTTR. Helicopter missions around the urban areas are a lot of fun i guess, but I am mainly looking forward to the Homs map.

Regarding our last DCS night:

Didnt manage "GUN RUN" this time with only 2 A-10c up and so many MANPADS moving on the ground, but this mission is always fun regardless and providing cover for each other worked quite well for the first part of the mission.

Our beta test of "Camp November" revealed some flaws I need to work on, but I was happy the triggers worked the way I hoped they would. With the enemy AAA setup our concept of covering the guy who is running was really able to shine this time and we took out at least two AAA trucks who revealed themselves.

Our second try at "Gepard and Shark Ep.1" went better than last time, but it seems like that micro lag every 30 mins is deadly to client Ka50s. I dont really know what to do about it. Either get a dedicated server or clients fly Uh-1 only. Both are not satisfying solutions at the moment so I guess that campaign is on hold.

"Op Bactria" was last but not least. The last objective was the really interesting one but I dont know what was wrong with the JTACs the whole mission. Anyway I should try to stay away from the ground Big Grin
Great flying again yesterday (well, two days ago by the moment I'm writting this...)

As already said Gun Run was fun despite not making it. I attempted to land my A10 with half the stabilizer missing. Needless to say that the airplane was a bit unstable that way... I would have made it too if it weren't for this meddling landing gear! I got to the ground relatively safe, but my gear was damaged so I didn't managed to stay on the runway and crashed into the only thing far and wide next to the runway...

Camp November looks great, can't wait for the finished version. I just had a really hard time to find the first group of mortar vehicles, even on thermal they were really hard to spot... On the last infantry target the smoke marker expired before I was done there, had a hard time to find them again after that. Maybe let the JTAC relay approximate coords?

I'm bummed about the Black Shark issue, but now I'm sure that last time wasn't my fault. I was really looking forward to the campaign... Sad

The first Bactria objective was a bit boring this time. Just drop bombs on mortars. No threats, just go there and blow stuff up...
The second one was awesome though, I loved engaging the moving convoys Smile
I think the main issue with the JTACs was my inability to deal with three radios at once (remembering which way to press the radio button for which radio more specifically). Also I wasn't paying to much attention to the commander guy when he relayed frequencies...so those problems where on me
(12-06-2015, 11:45 PM)Sithis link Wrote:@ Misha: Where were you I have a Su27 vs F15 mission in the pipe for several weeks now  Tongue

I chickened out knowing how unrealistically good I was the last time, don't want to spoil my stats Smile

I have a fresh install of DCS but I haven't configured it yet, and it takes time, also didn't refresh my A-10C skills, so I decided to skip last Saturday unfortunately. I really want to come but my time is dictated by so many things that I cannot promise anything besides that I will do my best to come next time.
Sorry guys, I have to skip and this Saturday Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47