Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: What no feedback can cause mission makers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sure, as you can see I've already started to post links to the missions we played on the debriefing thread.
I might even add the links to the mission list, although I doubt that will help getting people to provide feedback. People don't even visit the mission list for that purpose.
(02-28-2014, 09:52 PM)Variable link Wrote:Sure, as you can see I've already started to post links to the missions we played on the debriefing thread.
I might even add the links to the mission list, although I doubt that will help getting people to provide feedback. People don't even visit the mission list for that purpose.

Yeah, I was just thinking that if the links are in the mission list then the first person to post in the debriefing, whoever that might be, at least can easily copy and paste the link from there and even if that person happens to be you, then it keeps the links handy for that purpose and for future reference.
Looks like StrongHarm has left the scene http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.ph...ions/page5
This guy has so many subscribers and high ratings for his missions, I really don't understand what he bitches about. It seems like nothing will satisfy him except for being on the title of the first page of the workshop for eternity. Well, good luck elsewhere.
(09-01-2014, 09:48 AM)Variable link Wrote:This guy has so many subscribers and high ratings for his missions, I really don't understand what he bitches about. It seems like nothing will satisfy him except for being on the title of the first page of the workshop for eternity. Well, good luck elsewhere.

Seriously... the guy has two missions on the workshop. Both of them have four or five stars, one has 60l visitors. What is he exactly unhappy about? I'm happy when I get to a tenth of that.

Should I know the guy?
(09-01-2014, 03:45 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Looks like StrongHarm has left the scene http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.ph...ions/page5

Cry mich ein River.

Seeing that all of his mission release threads have polls basically asking "how did you like the mission", I can only say he's attention whoring.

Honestly, the highest rated missions on the workshop has 90k subscriptions, and he's complaining that his mission only has 37k ? Give me a fucking break.

(09-01-2014, 09:48 AM)Variable link Wrote:This guy has so many subscribers and high ratings for his missions, I really don't understand what he bitches about. It seems like nothing will satisfy him except for being on the title of the first page of the workshop for eternity. Well, good luck elsewhere.

Yes. He's not content being second best. He wants to be the best, like that Alduric guy.

I hate attention whoring.
what feedbacks can encourage mission makers Big Grin

7:42 PM - Phantom Six: heya, you're the author of body snatch mission right?
7:42 PM - Arkhir: yup
7:42 PM - Arkhir: what's up
7:42 PM - Phantom Six: i really enjoyed it with my friend yesterday. Its not on the workshop anymore? :o
7:42 PM - Arkhir: umm yeah I think I took it down because of mod issues, not being able to update it and other stuff
7:43 PM - Arkhir: I had some audience but I ceased playing ArmA
7:43 PM - Phantom Six: oh Sad its a great mission though
7:43 PM - Arkhir: so I just deleted the missions, instead of keeping them far, far out-of-date
7:43 PM - Phantom Six: really nice atmosphere
7:43 PM - Arkhir: thank you
7:43 PM - Arkhir: I might remake it
7:43 PM - Phantom Six: i see Smile
7:43 PM - Arkhir: I'm busy with tons of different A3 thingies though
7:43 PM - Arkhir: running a community, getting it to grow
7:43 PM - Arkhir: modding
7:43 PM - Arkhir: fixing stuff
7:44 PM - Arkhir: atm I'm working on an addon I'll release soonish
7:44 PM - Arkhir: ™
7:44 PM - Arkhir: that's very motivating though, thank you, I wasn't even considering updating my old missions, now I am
Well done, Phantom Smile
If it wasn't for CiA I would have stopped at 1 mission release for Arma 3.

That's all there is to it.
I've recently thought this a lot and heres from one authors experience: 

90-100% of the feedback on my Workshop-missions is exclusively from CiA alone. That also made me find you  in the first place.

Other feedback varies from very little to nonexistent. Sure, my missions aren't most beginner friendly, I don't advertise them in forums/they have no respawn/VAS/arsenal and usually briefing alone drives people away, so my 'customer base' is niche. People who like, usually subscribes more than one, and casual gamers usually does not even try.  But very few players bothers to comment.  I get some thumbs up, some thumbs down from my regular haters. Rare comments are usually "nice mission, thanks" or then someone tells me my mission sucks because of no respawn/saves/against wrong faction/too long/too difficult/etc. That too is feedback and is appreciated. 

If someone says my mission suck, or that there is something wrong, it is perfectly fine. They just might be right. But. I would like to know why. Estimating mission difficulty, duration, challenge, is damn tough, especially if the mission is intended for 'general public' and honest commentary helps with this.  I suppose that lot of people simply don't want to sound like they are whining but any respectable mission maker wants to know if there are script errors/task issues/bugs, what ever. 

The practice of rating/commenting missions that CiA does, is still rare and extremely important. I haven't noticed any other clan doing it. Another nice feature is that Variable/server admin usually comments that "Sounds good. Mission will be hosted in CiA server" or something like that. That gives author feedback that someone is actually bothering to try.  These were some factors which kept me making missions.

-Stag
(08-04-2015, 04:52 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:If someone says my mission suck, or that there is something wrong, it is perfectly fine. They just might be right. But. I would like to know why. Estimating mission difficulty, duration, challenge, is damn tough, especially if the mission is intended for 'general public' and honest commentary helps with this.  I suppose that lot of people simply don't want to sound like they are whining but any respectable mission maker wants to know if there are script errors/task issues/bugs, what ever. 

Agreed. I hate it when people just vote a mission I made down without saying WHAT is wrong in their opinion. If I didn't like a mission I usually don't bother to vote, so voting it down (at least to me) indicates some real hatred/issue.

I can only deduce that people that vote missions down are just doing it to damage it.

I find it extremely disappointing that after many hours invested in a mission, people usually don't even bother to leave a comment, even if it is a simple "I liked it" or "I didn't like it because..." type. My record is I think "Felis Infernalis'" with 2700 unique lifetime subscribers.

Comments are mostly from CiA members, plus this gem:

Mantup:"If you kill civilians under my command, I will ahve your ???. " Grammar
Alwarren: Actually that's spelling not grammar Wink Thanks for the heads-up
Mantup: Touche Dou'che
Alwarren: It's actually written "touché" Smile
Mantup: Not when you gots a Murika keyboard.
Alwarren: Hehe, that's why a german kezboard ruley
Mantup: Haha, right on. Good mission makin man btw! And I'm glad you'll have my hearts <3

Yeah Stag, we are aware about this lack of responsiveness in ARMA community that's why we want to make the difference and acknowledge authors' efforts whenever is possible.
Maybe a thread on BIS forums about this issue could increase people's awareness and make them see that providing feedback is common sense.
And i'm not talking about kids or DayZ/Altis Life players, but players which into hardcore gameplay, which are certainly more than 15-20 people who usually comment or make suggestions.
ARMA would be nothing without BIS support for modding/scripting, community editors and moders, i can't be grateful enough that we still have them around otherwise ARMA3 will be untouchable for me, will be like any other generic FPS.

@Alwarren
LOL, you should focus less on scripting and more on spelling according to some ppl.
From everything going on into the mission this all they can get back? Dam...
I think i beat you to it, I had some shorter, more pin-pointed and precise comments on my missions... like... Fuck you! Big Grin

This is not the kind of ppl we need talk about tho Smile The problem is there are not more on the good side.
Old topic, but I checked couple of WS pages of authors whose missions we recently played.
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've been out of mission making for a bit, but I'd be happy to look into the mentioned issues. If people are still playing missions then I'm glad to keep them up to date.
[/color]

[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]-------
[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone![/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]----
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into it.
[/color]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CiA WS feedback makes the difference. Authors appreciate it, it likely keeps them making new missions and fix/keep old ones up to date. Even if we run to broken one, author just might to fix them based on our feedback.

Right. About feedback. Form of art.  Examples below excerpted from workshop missions. I'm quite proud to be part of the right team.

-----------------
Varanon: 7.maalis 1.04
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]Great mission! Had a bit of a bumpy start, so I'll summarize:[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]The good:[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]Nice atmosphere. I like the fact you've changed the default weather[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]Interesting location. Haven't seen much in that area[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]The problems: [/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]We tried the mission two times. First time, the chopper took off without us. Second time, I just hovered and wouldn't let us in. I guess the second time was due to a bug in the current dedicated server that sometimes has vehicles stop dead at waypoints. So we got a little creative and got to the boats ourselves.
[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]Bottom line:[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]Great mission with good atmosphere, a bit easy (not many enemies), but very enjoyable.[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]Looking forward to playing more of your missions

-----------------
[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]Commentator X:
[/color]
[color=rgb(83, 83, 84)]14 tuntia sitten [/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]Seriously - why do u guys clutter the workshop with ur noob crap editing. Keep ur noobstuff for urself - in this mission NOTHING is edited - NOTHING
0/10
[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]Commentator Y:
[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)][/color][color=rgb(83, 83, 84)]16. tammi 17.36[/color]
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]same kind of shit as in your first scenario[/color]
Commentator Z
5. kesä 2015
[color=rgb(172, 178, 184)]it was sow bad that y trow up dude plz make another one but bad[/color]
Jeez, I didn't think it couldn't get worse than no feedback at all. Guess I was wrong...
Oh man... why do people make such jeering comments, but then the internet is a cruel place. Its like taunting someone to go die somewhere... self entitled pricks. It takes a person time and energy to make mods or missions.
Pages: 1 2