Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Arma will have to do...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jäger Bubba reporting in.
All right. So let me open up the situation for you guys a bit. I know I don't need to explain you guys anything and that most of you won't probably even care. But the thing is, I was kicked out of the army because of physical reasons. Although I'm in a good physical condition, it was my body that kind of broke down.

So. 3 years ago I got diagnosed with a illness. This illness normally prevents conscription, but due to me showing high motivation towards still going through the army, they let me in to see how it goes.
So after about 4 weeks into the "recruit season" of 6 plus 2 weeks, my illness started showing symptoms again.
The recruit season is 6 plus 2 weeks because I got into the military police, which was pretty much the toughest training you can get into without joining special forces in the Finnish defence forces. And MPs have 6 weeks of normal training and 2 weeks of use of force training and law classes. In total, I managed to stay for 7 weeks, which was enough to get me promoted from recruit to a Jäger. But the last 3 weeks I was in and out of the hospital and I mostly couldn't join the training during that time. Normal MPs serve for 9 months and squad leaders stay for a year.

So here I am, once again, sitting behind my screen frustrated as hell... The person also frustrated was my "squad" leader and actually my "platoon" leader a bit also. Since both of them wanted to see me join the... Well, I'll call it leader course, to become a equivalent of staff sergeant (to be in lead of a squad).
My platoon leader was a grumpy and a pretty old man, so to my surprise he tried to make me stay and he was disappointed after my illness started to kick in and I had to go to the garrisons hospital. But due to the reasons I had to go, there was not much I could do.

So, without underestimating the fun I have had while playing with CiA... But still... You guys and Arma will have to do. Big Grin
I have a job waiting for me in about a month. And after a year, I'll go studying.
So my plans for the upcoming months? Build a new PC, to finally start enjoying the views of Arma2 and to be able to see enemies in forests. But also to wait for Arma3. I'm still deciding between supported and deluxe edition. Also, since the army here is mandatory, I will have to make some fun out of me being here and the rest of my squad staying. Most of them would never have joined the army if it wasn't mandatory, so they will love me sending pictures of myself lying on the beach while they are on a 10 day training somewhere in the middle of nowhere staying on full alert in case a imaginary enemy attacks. Big Grin 5 hours of sleep every night and being constantly ready for action... They will probably eventually learn to hate me!
8)

PS. Also, I am a first class shooter.  8)  Of which I'm very proud of. But the funniest thing is, that everyone else had had time to practice on the range about 5 times, and then they took the shooting test. Before taking the test, I had participated in only one training with my beloved RK62. So with 1/5 of the training what most of the guys had had I managed to get myself into the best class of shooters, which is about 15% of the guys in the Military police company. And yes, I'm quite proud!  ;D
Hey, sad to hear your condition didn't allow you to follow your plans. You must have been feeling powerless...
btw. I'm surprised there are still European countries where the military is mandatory. Isn't it strange to learn people fire guns for "peacekeeping" ?. Wouldn't they get enough manpower if it wasn't mandatory do you think (and they pay their men well)?

Anyway, for us it's a good thing of course, to have a top shooter back in our squad to do the real killing while we aimlessly suppress them  ;D
Hey man!

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out in the army. Sad
Good thing that you have other things still a head. Work and studying and of course arma. Smile

Welcome back anyway and hopefully we see you at gaming nights as soon as possible.
Sad to hear about your dissapointment Bubba, but I'm glad to see you back with us!
One thing I don't understand, since you are not discharged from service, what will you do during your mandatory service?
(03-01-2013, 01:50 PM)Variable link Wrote:One thing I don't understand, since you are not discharged from service, what will you do during your mandatory service?

Well usually people with this condition are not even let into the army and they are "freed from peacetime service". That's what I got now, so I will not join the army neither will I have to attend any civilian service.
And "civilian service" (freely translated?) is a equivalent of military service, though you will be working for some government owned institution for 12 months, so it has nothing to do with military. I'm really thankful I don't need to do my service that way...
I'm sorry to hear that Bubba, I actually thought that you were not looking forward to spending your days in the army. Now that it turns out different I can understand your disappointment. Hope that Arma 3 will provide some sort of comfort.

I have heard that Fins generally are highly motivated for conscription service, why is that? Is it better than FDF for OFP?  ;D
Sorry to hear that. Something like that really sucks... I was actually planning on becoming a helicopter pilot in my early days but couldn't due to my eyesight...

OTOH, when I finally got drafted for basic service, I had the impression it was a good thing I didn't volunteer, and I was happy to get out when my time there was over...
Misha, (can't find that downward arrow! Tongue) I believe it's mostly a cultural thing. To conservative people and older folks it's kind of a passage rite to becoming a man. Some people even ask about your service time at job interviews. Though, that stuff had nothing to do with me wanting to do my military service. To me it was just something that I had always known that I wanted to do. So I wanted to do it for my self.

But to be honest a lot of people would use even a smallest excuse to skip the service time!  :Smile
Hey man sorry to hear about that disappointing end to your plan. You gave it your best shot and will never have to look back and wonder 'what if?'
Sad to hear your conscription ended prematurely. For what it's worth it sounds like you did good out there. Smile
For what I remember the toughest part of my conscription was the basic training, though I did that in the combat engineer company so it might have been different in some ways. The MP time was actually very laid back and easy going, although very interesting. (That's right, a fellow MP here. Tongue)

If you ever long back there to continue your service, think of countless hours sitting at the gate. Tongue
Welcome back to the real army! (As we like to say in LDDK)