Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: FHQ Task Tracker (Obsolete)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
When I start making a tutorial for newbies on how to edit missions, may I use your task tracker for it instead of the old school briefing.sqf method BIS got? The FHQ task tracker is the most efficient one I've seen.

for sides,

Is guer for guerillas or ind or independent or guerilla?
Thanks! Sure, go ahead. I'll release it the other day to Armaholic.

Sides are compared against the result of the side command, so the usual applies, i.e. west, east, resistance, civilian etc
Added a bit of clarification to how the filters work:

Code:
Unit filters:
Whenever a unit filter is asked for, there are several possibilities to
define what you need to assign to:
single object: A single player
group: All players of a group
side: All players of a side
faction (string): All players of a certain faction
code: The piece of code is called for every playable character. Return true if you want
      the character to be selected, or false otherwise. The only parameter is the playable
         object to be tested

When calling a function that assigns briefings or tasks, a pool of all playable units is created.
The filter is tested against those units, and all units matching the filter will have the tasks/briefing
assigned to them. Subsequently, these units (that mached the filter) are removed from the pool. Further
filtering is done on the remaining units.

This essentially means that you should define tasks/briefing entries from specific to general. For example,
assuming one player group is west (whith special tasks), and the rest of the players share another set of tasks,
you would first use the specific group as filter value, followed by west to assign the following tasks to all
remaining west players.

Examples:
{(side _this) != west): All playable characters that are not BLUFOR
player: the player on the current client
group westMan1_1: All units in westMan1_1's group
    east: All playable characters on the OPFOR side
"BIS_BAF": All playable british soliders
Seems to me this doesn't work for ARMA 2 standalone (without OA). I got it working in OA and ARMA 3 but not ARMA 2 standalone. [Image: Untitled-1.png]
Never tried it in Arma 2 standalone. Can you send me the RPT file with the error ? My email address is thomas@friedenhq.org.

Thanks.
So uh, how and where do you add briefing and tasks? Do I need to write them in another .sqf script or trigger to add them (initially and later on)??
(04-10-2013, 06:24 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: [ -> ]So uh, how and where do you add briefing and tasks? Do I need to write them in another .sqf script or trigger to add them (initially and later on)??

Well, adding tasks and briefing entries are script calls, so yeah, you do write them in a script file. There's no module or anything like that, if that's what you mean (that would require an addon)
(04-10-2013, 06:24 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: [ -> ]So uh, how and where do you add briefing and tasks? Do I need to write them in another .sqf script or trigger to add them (initially and later on)??

http://phantommissionsite.weebly.com/briefingsqf.html
http://phantommissionsite.weebly.com/tasks.html

Read the great tutorial by Phantom. Think those two pages should answer your questions.
I really want to use this. I downloaded Phantom's template and wrote my briefing in the FHQ format that his stuff provided.

However, given this is my first mission I've ever made, I think this is a bit over my head and I want that sense of completion to give me some oomph to go on with more.

If I just follow the traditional approach to get my briefings and tasks to work . . . for example Alimag's Briefing Manager Tool

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6797

. . . will you guys be able to play the mission in Coop?

I mainly want to make coop missions, but design them mostly so that they are 'accessible' for SP play too. I guess if the first one can only be played SP no big deal, but it would be nice if it could be done Coop.

Once I get that one to run, then I'll see about going back and rewriting it with your Task tracker which I've DLed.
(04-17-2013, 01:51 PM)Anthropoid link Wrote: [ -> ]. . . will you guys be able to play the mission in Coop?

Which mission? Do you have one ready? If so - Sure!
(04-17-2013, 01:51 PM)Anthropoid link Wrote: [ -> ]If I just follow the traditional approach to get my briefings and tasks to work . . . for example Alimag's Briefing Manager Tool

I really don't understand this, to be honest. The purpose of task trackers like this is that the traditional way of doing briefings is much more complicated. You might think otherwise, but that is because you only try in single player or hosted with only one player in. Believe me when I say that if you don't go for a tracker, regardless of which one you take, you will be in a world of trouble.

The things might look daunting at fist glance, but if you are serious about making missions, you will have to learn to walk first before you can fly. I seriously recommend reading up a bit on scripting, it isn't that complicated, and not much of it is required to make good missions, but why people insist that doing briefings and tasks by hand is simply beyond my comprehension.

Multiplayer on the Arma engine is more complex than you might think. This is no clean client-server approach. It's a distributed system, some things have only local effect.

Let me give you an example. You add a triger "BLUFOR" -> "detected by OPFOR" and fail a task vis setSimpleTaskState. You might think this is the right way to do it. It isn't. Why? Because this trigger will only work on those clients where its condition is satisfied. So if player A is detected while player B isn't, the task will fail for player A only, not for player B.

I can only stress again that using a task tracker makes your life easier, not more difficult. We don't come up with that stuff to make things more complicated. Really Smile
(04-17-2013, 01:51 PM)Anthropoid link Wrote: [ -> ]If I just follow the traditional approach to get my briefings and tasks to work . . . for example Alimag's Briefing Manager Tool

This tool is, as far as I know, only capable of converting the briefings of OFP, nothing else. It will NOT handle those during the mission.

The "traditional" approach is to handle all of this yourself. Trust me when I tell you that this is FAR more complicated than you think.

For example, do you know that a task is defined only for one entity ? That marking a task as successful involves marking ALL occurrences of this task as successful, not only the one unit's task ?

If you find using scripts for this purpose difficult, you will find that doing those things traditionally is going to be a magnitude more complex.

If you check the archive of the task tracker on Armaholic, you will find a sample mission that illustrates how it works. I don't really understand what should be complicated about this ?
(04-17-2013, 01:51 PM)Anthropoid link Wrote: [ -> ]However, given this is my first mission I've ever made, I think this is a bit over my head and I want that sense of completion to give me some oomph to go on with more.

Once I get that one to run, then I'll see about going back and rewriting it with your Task tracker which I've DLed.
If you're using this http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.ph...fing-howto good luck with getting the tasks and briefing to show up on JIP, this is all done client side, unless you were to define every single unit (p1,p2,p3) for example, then it would work but that would be a pain (especially if you're making a CO 64 operation type mission or a large number of players). You might as well go back to the Task Tracker format.

If its a bit too over your head, try copy and pasting the example I provided to you and modify it there as I instructed here.

http://phantommissionsite.weebly.com/briefingsqf.html

Also task completion is way more convenient too http://phantommissionsite.weebly.com/tasks.html . I find Task Tracker much more convenient than Shuko's Taskmaster 2 in my opinion.
Ahh I see. Missions designed for MP or Coop are truly different beasts. Alright then. Now that I've made a bit of SP-style stuff that works, I'll see about figuring this stuff out and try to make the first one a functioning coop mission using the task tracker.
(04-18-2013, 03:51 AM)Phantom link Wrote: [ -> ]Also task completion is way more convenient too http://phantommissionsite.weebly.com/tasks.html . I find Task Tracker much more convenient than Shuko's Taskmaster 2 in my opinion.

Shuko also recently said he has no ambitions towards Arma 3, so it's no longer developed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6