Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Greetings!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
If your mouse has a few additional buttons, I suggest using this for PTT. I have two buttons on my thumb, one is normal PTT, the other is Whisper.  Then you never have to take your hands of the other controls, and you can even shoot while talking.
I have the same controls at the moments. PTT on a mouse thumb button. Earlier, before I got the gaming mouse, I had the PTT key binded to the button between L-Shift and Z. Don't know kind of a key there is on other language keyboards! But you can use it with your pinkie even while moving also!
Try this addon: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9936

This will help you with orientation in formation.  Wink
Thanks guys. I'll install that Shacktac for the next session, rebind to the Windows key for PTT and see about getting a gaming mouse.
This is a really great mouse for casual gaming: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Optical-G...gy_e_img_z

I have it myself. Smile
Cool. Wonder if they make those in wireless types. I have become dependent on my wireless mouse and keyboard. I work/play in a lazy boy with a lapboard and a 42" plasma screen TV as my monitor  8)
Search for the Logitech Wireless Marathon mouse (m705 or smth)  Thatone runs for more than a year on a pair of AA batteries Smile  and it's pretty cheap.
I teach MWF until 3:30 (20:30 CE timezone) so if I do make it on Fridays it will be late. I still haven't even looked at the required Addons for Fridays so I probably won't even try to make it for tomorrow. But will definitely be joining on Sunday and as long as I'm welcome  ;D

I posted a thread at BIS forums and no answers for about a week, so I thought maybe you guys might have some answers

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.ph...Questions)

Quote:Artillery towing/hauling? (Few Other Questions)

I did a search, and while there are LOTS of references to artillery, I'm not seeing anything specifically about towing howitzers. Also I have a few other unanswered vehicle questions.

1. Playing the "Lost 5.3" mission, the D-30 arty unit is one of the 'vehicles' that randomly spawns in Chernarus. However, I have yet to find a truck that can tow or haul it. Is it possible to move artillery without dragging it?

2. When I man the gun on a vehicle (e.g., FV510 Warrior armored vehicle) and I'm in first person view, I don't see anyway to know how the tank chassis is aligned relative to my gun orientation. Am I missing something?

3. Is there a command key to cause the gun turret to swivel more quickly? paddling with my mouse is slow.

4. Everytime I disembark from my vehicle (e.g., to search a house or manipulate my gear cache), if I have any active crewmen in the vehicle, they automatically switch the vehicle lights on. This happens even if they are all NVG equipped. Is there a way to change my settings so this doesn't happen?

5. Watching some tutorial videos I see reference to "Locking the vehicle" so that crewmen don't bail when it gets hit. But I'm not seeing the option to do this.

6. I would like to tinker with making a few personal changes to the Lost mission. I want to add more randomly generated static defense points for the AI, and then if I can get that to work, try to create triggered 'objectives' that involve defeating these static points. I love the mission (it is all I play really) but the lack of any AI static positions makes it feel a bit unrealistic.

I have fiddled with the editor just a bit, but I'm not sure how to make the Lost mission show up in my editor selection screen. If someone can point me to a very elementary "Getting Started at Mission Editing" page that would be great.

With respect to question 6, I see that there are plenty of links and discussions on this topic in the Missions and Editing section of this forum, so no worries there. I just need to start doing some reading I think.

However, I did have a related (set) of questions:

7. Have any of you guys played the "Lost" mission by MarkB50K?

IMO, this is a fantastic mission. It is really more like  campaign than a mission however, as it is generally impossible to finish it in one play session.

Basically, it takes some scripts (I think) and randomly generates enemies for a wide range of maps (I've played mostly on Chernarus, but have been trying out Takistan recently too; it will work with Malden, Kolgujev, Nogova, etc., etc. LOTS of different maps). You set at the start of the 'mission' which friendly forces you want in the game, and which enemies. You can have different proportions of friendies and enemies. For example, you could specific 20% USMC; 20% Takistani Geurillas; 5% Private Military Company; and 65% CWR2 US forces or a wide-range of different permutations. Russians, Chedakis, Takistani insurgents, Takistani regulars, etc. are possible opponents, and civilians are in it too.

You can then set the number of starting Groups each side gets (Infantry, Vehicles, Heli gunships, Para for enemy; and total number of groups for friendlies).

You then spawn alone and you have to rendezvous with your friendlies and take them into your squad/platoon before they get massacred. You then have to fight a quite long and complex geurilla war, avoiding enemy patrols (vehicle, heli and infantry) raiding enemy bases, searching civilian houses, fighting hostiles, recruiting partisans, etc. It is basically a geurilla / survival mission but MarkB50K describes it (quite aptly I think) as a "Grand Strategic Mission." In sum, if you set enemy force levels quite high, you are badly outnumbered and 'behind enemy lines' so you have to plan strategically for how you are going to build up your forces and progressively defeat the enemy. It is not perfect, there are some limitations to the mission, but overall I think it is fantastic and I hope to eventually learn enough mission editing to be able to build on it and improve it still more.

Here is where you guys might or might not come in. First, if you have feedback or thoughts about the mission I'd be very curious to hear them.

Second, if you have suggestions for editing it that too.

Lastly, I'm wondering if there might be any interest in a sort of 'multi-mission' version of Coop play, and thinking that if there is, this Lost mission might be just the ticket. That last point is beyond my understanding of the game editing at this point.
Anthropoid you might want to post the mission related parts in the lost mission thread and in the bi editing forums. I don't think any of your question is related for the Q&A forum.
Myself, I don't know much on mission editing to help, but posting in our editing forum might yield some help from the CiA mission editing vets.
About playing the mission in coop, sounds like a good idea for a preplanned scheduled event.

Thanks Variable. I'll ask in those places.
Hey guys, sorry I've been AWOL lately; combination of real life, I finally burnt abit on Arma and getting in to other games. I was thinking today was a coop night and went on the TS for a while and then realized it's Thursday  . . . doh!

Anyway, just wanted to say howdy and that I'm going to try to get back to playing more regularly. See ya Sunday.
No problem Anthropoid, we are here for everybody to hop on and have some fun whenever and only when it works for them.
See you today!
Whats up dudes?

Arma 3 finally came down in price and I bought it. Got it installed, but have yet to play it. Back into a place in life where rejoining your coops on a semi-regular basis could be doable. I'll need a while to get used to get addons installed, and especially to adapt to Arma 3 before joining in. Got an auto-email from the forum for my bday so I thought I'd hop in and say hi, and let you know I may be looking to join in again sometime in the not too distant future.

Hope you guys are all well and happy. Would be nice to to reconnect to this community Smile
Anthropoid! Good to see you back!
Hey man. Good to hear from you, hope to see you back on the server soon Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4