Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Mission making help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I started to make my first mission. It's for Arma 3. I have some questions as you can suspect.

1. How do you set new task in mission using modules, triggers and syncing? I managed to set new task, but now I don't know how to trigger task success? New task is to reach a location so that when player come there task should be done.

Also, I want to trigger another task within a mission when I stop the attack on a player position.

I don't have a clue about coding and stuff, so please explain to me how do I do that by using ingame editor and it's interface.

2. I would also need help with in mission dialogue between friendly units and between commander and the base.

3. Last thing I need help is briefing. How do I write briefing in editor? I really don't know where to look.

Point no. 1 is most critical, I lost half of the day trying to solve it. I couldn't even find a tutorial.  No 2 and 3 is what I did not do yet, but help is appreciated anyway.

Now I know how frustrating mission making is. I'd be better off with making music, where at least I seem to know what I am doing. If I do mission making for more than seven days I would be looking like this guy on the picture.
For briefing read this How to make a basic Briefing in ArmA 2 Smile ..and I think you can find other tutorials there  http://www.ofpec.com/index.php
Thanks Horus. As I read tutorial on OFPEC it gets more and more Chinese/Spanish village. It's so much easier when you follow tutorial on Youtube and such. Problem is nobody covered that subject or I didn't find it yet.

I'm gonna read tutorials (and hopefully your advices) and hit the editor on next weekend but I will never let the Arma mission editor take over all my life, never!!!  Smile
I thought Varanon just wrote a fool-proof way of tracking briefing and tasks :O

http://ciahome.net/forum/index.php?topic=2805.0 FHQ Task Tracker?
I guess you're right, but I don't understand a thing about the coding in Arma. So, I don't even know what to do with the code provided there.
http://phantommissionsite.weebly.com/briefingsqf.html

Part of my tutorial. I'm not complete there yet
Dunno if you plan to change that in your tutorial, but you might want to mention that the "side" you specify in the parameter of the FHQ_TT_addBriefing call can be more than just a side, it can also be e.g. a group. This is especially useful for missions where you have more than one team, so you can assign individual targets/tasks to individual team without having to clarify it in the text.
Thanx Phantom, I will get there eventually when I solve triggers and new tasks in mission which is a priority. Only after that the mission will take definite shape and I will be able to write a briefing.
(03-25-2013, 07:40 PM)?? link Wrote:Thanx Phantom, I will get there eventually when I solve triggers and new tasks in mission which is a priority. Only after that the mission will take definite shape and I will be able to write a briefing.

Note that the FHQ Task tracker also helps with the (as the name implies) the tasks, not only the briefing. Doing this by hand and stay multiplayer/JIP compatible is challenging, to say the least.
Well I though I could do it through the editor, it should be more obvious and simple for a beginner? JIP is not a priority, I am not even sure that I want to include it.

I think there is a language problem when I'm asking experienced mission makers for help because I can't explain in usual terms what I want to do. That's why I decided to watch and read tutorials meanwhile to get into the language so I can "speak" like a mission maker  Wink . I also see now that making a first mission without little fooling around in editor to see how all this stuff works was wrong, but then it would be just too boring to play in editor without any goal except to learn it.
Great, Arma 3 was updated. Now I can't even open a mission in editor because "downloadable content a3_soft_F_galkin has been deleted". Did they change name of the units with new patch?

EDIT: ok, got my answer here
Honestly, and don't get me wrong, but I really really wonder why someone would make a video of this: "Open mission.sqm and search&replace galkin with ifirt"

Is it really the case that people don't read anymore these days ?
(03-25-2013, 07:04 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Dunno if you plan to change that in your tutorial, but you might want to mention that the "side" you specify in the parameter of the FHQ_TT_addBriefing call can be more than just a side, it can also be e.g. a group. This is especially useful for missions where you have more than one team, so you can assign individual targets/tasks to individual team without having to clarify it in the text.

Yeah, I changed it just to try to make it more simplier for the newbies. I'll mention is later. It might take me a while before I update the tutorial some more, school and stuff. I'll have to wait until spring break next week, but even then I still got some things to do but actually will have time to work on the tutorial.

I'm also remaking the templates and having a few of them between simple and complex for some stuff.

I couldn't resist and I got back to editing the mission last night (here comes the confession of editor junkie).
Well, to my surprise I managed to set task assigned and task completed in mission successfully. I used only modules and triggers, synching them off course. Problem is I don't know how excatly did I achieve that so I need to do a little reverse engineering on my own work. Smile

Next thing I need to know is how to set new objective marker on the map when new task is assigned?

Explain it however you can I'll try to deal with it somehow  ;D
Be aware, I don't think all of the BIS Arma 3 modules for this purpose are multiplayer-compatible, which, if true, makes them pretty useless.

I can only stress again the importance of using a task tracker. Shuko's or Varanon's, it doesn't matter, but it makes things indefinitely more robust and easier.
Pages: 1 2