Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Teamspeak and Arma 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm very new to this, and I've never played Arma 2 at all, but I'm curious about why you use Teamspeak with Arma 3.

As a complete newbie, my only problem with Teamspeak is that I can't tell who's talking. Using the built-in communication system in Arma 3, on the other hand, it shows who's talking. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much difference.

True, the Arma 3 channels are fixed, but they seem varied enough to fit most circumstances, don't they? (Again, I'm just a newbie, so I don't know.) You can easily choose global (everyone in the game), side (your faction), command (to your side's commanders), group (to your "command group"), vehicle (people in the same vehicle as you), or direct (to players close by).

Admittedly, I don't know what "group" means. Would that be everyone in your team? Or is that only for commanders? (But that wouldn't make sense, would it? Why wouldn't the whole team be able to answer back on the same channel?)

Still, if "group" doesn't mean "team," the direct channel would function very similarly - in most cases, at least - wouldn't it?

I could easily be missing something here. As I say, I've never played Arma 2, so I don't know what features that game had for voice communication. But in the little I've played Arma 3 so far, I really like being able to tell who's talking. And I really miss that in Teamspeak.

So I was just wondering what Teamspeak gives you that Arma III doesn't. No criticism intended. I'm just curious.

Bill
Very short answer: quality and reliability.

We use in game VON sometimes if it's usefull to have direct or group chat, but there are simply too much problems with it.
Try using the Teamspeak 3 overlay, it'll tell you who's talking.
(04-13-2013, 03:59 AM)Phantom link Wrote: [ -> ]Try using the Teamspeak 3 overlay, it'll tell you who's talking.

I looked at that, but it seemed to require another window open on my screen, which I really don't need. But I should give it a try at least. Thanks.

And yeah, quality and reliability are good reasons. I've never had any trouble with communication in Arma 3, but I'm such a newbie that I really wouldn't know.

Thanks for the replies.
(04-13-2013, 03:36 PM)WCG link Wrote: [ -> ]I looked at that, but it seemed to require another window open on my screen, which I really don't need. But I should give it a try at least. Thanks.

No, it's an overlay in the game.  You can even set it that it only shows the currently talking name, so it won't clutter your screen when nobody is talking.
(04-17-2013, 10:01 AM)rundll.exe link Wrote: [ -> ]No, it's an overlay in the game.  You can even set it that it only shows the currently talking name, so it won't clutter your screen when nobody is talking.

Great! I installed it. I guess I'll try it out on Friday.

Thanks.

Bill