Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Arma 3 Mission Guide Lines?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tis about time i got back into making missions.
Just wondering what are the basic concepts you require?

For example:-

Do you have a problem with Virtual Ammobox System (VAS) Apparently uses less resources than everone loading out at ammo boxes at start + also picks up any weapon mods you are running!
Running Alwarren's cracking M4 pack(lets be honest who wouldn't Winkit detects it, wanna use Shams M16 pack,it detects it etc etc!

The revive script i was gonna use is Farooq's Revive real basic but effective from my testing (same as what i've experienced playing Arma2 with you guys so far) and Phantom has posted in the thread!

So just testing the water chaps, let me know if this ok/acceptable?

BTW - when can we do Repawn?????? Joke!!!!! lolz
(09-09-2013, 12:25 AM)ck-claw link Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a problem with Virtual Ammobox System (VAS) Apparently uses less resources than everone loading out at ammo boxes at start + also picks up any weapon mods you are running!
Running Alwarren's cracking M4 pack(lets be honest who wouldn't Winkit detects it, wanna use Shams M16 pack,it detects it etc etc!

VAS is OK if it can set the maximum amount of things to take. I hate it when everyone can just take whatever they want. For example, you shouldn't be able to get more than, say, two launchers.

(09-09-2013, 12:25 AM)ck-claw link Wrote: [ -> ]The revive script i was gonna use is Farooq's Revive real basic but effective from my testing (same as what i've experienced playing Arma2 with you guys so far) and Phantom has posted in the thread!

I personally hate revive with a passion. In Arma 2, I much prefer the (even though broken) BIS first Aid system. Of course, that's not available in A3, but I still hate revive because it just feels wierd to get back after being shot in the head...
The reason why I posted in the thread was I was wondering whether Farooq can somehow turn his revive script more to a BIS first aid module which was lacking in ARMA 3 since it didn't rely on respawn type (BASE/INSTANT). I don't think that'd be happening though, but overall, I now avoid making revive missions. I use to in the past until I play with CiA that is Tongue . I'd eventually figure, the no revive/respawn stuff are more fun than the revive/respawn stuff. After playing those a while, it feels arcadey. Anyways, I did write up a guide on how to make missions. I hope its easy to read. It's mainly designed around no revive/respawn missions. I also added a template in there.

http://phantommissionsite.weebly.com/arma-3.html

Question about Farooq's revive.... is it like the typical annoying revives where you can't die, or can you actually die from fatal shots now?
@Varanon-i think that in some clans/communities that could well be a problem(everyone taking everything) but pretty sure everyone here does as they're expected? and doesn't do that?
Personally, if im a medic all i'm gonna do is load up with extra medical supplies.

@Phantom-Thats a good question about Farooq's revive-not tested enought to know? I know there were revive systems that a fatal shot would indeed kill you outright (think might of been Norrins?)
Will check out your template link!

Being new- I was just trying to find out the do's and don'ts of the missions you make/play.
I think the temptation is too great when you have all the guns. Of course as a medic I'll take medical equipments myself.... and as a bonus since having all the guns is too high of a temptation, I'll grab the best they can offer whereas if the selection was more limited, as a medic, I'll just take the guns most available which would be a standard rifle whereas I'll leave a marksman rifle for a marksman, machinegun for machinegunner, and long range optics for marksman as well.

I guess the only way to test Farooq's revive would be put it in the editor, and have the enemy unit shoot you in the face or something. If you die, it works, if you live then it's flawed.

Well, I remember norrin revive had that feature if you set it that way, but after you're dead, wouldn't you respawn anyways since you might have to set it to respawn to base or instant for it to work? Not sure, I haven't really meddle with revives.
(09-09-2013, 06:42 PM)ck-claw link Wrote: [ -> ]@Varanon-i think that in some clans/communities that could well be a problem(everyone taking everything) but pretty sure everyone here does as they're expected? and doesn't do that?
Personally, if im a medic all i'm gonna do is load up with extra medical supplies.

I was actually thinking of a different system: If you played the Battlefield titles, then you know the concepts of kits (or classes as they are now called).

A kit was always a complete package, and you could take it all or not. So if you were a medic, you'd get a rifle and a bunch of medical supplies. AT soldiers could take different combinations of rifle and launcher, but they couldn't take, say the rifle of the assault man, and the launcher of the AT soldier.

That way, people can choose their role, but not overdo the equipment, which is IMHO the biggest problem of VAS and Arma 3 in general.
CK I'm looking forward to see what kind of missions that cider filled head of yours can produce! Must be a hell of a ride to play the fruit of your imagination! Big Grin

My opinion - Can't stand revive unless it's in the lines of the BIS first aid module.
About weapons - I also have an allergy for missions that allow the players to choose their favorite weapon out of the whole world arsenal. It always make me feel that it's just a lazy job on part of the mission maker. I think the weapons available in the mission should be tightly adjusted to balance the mission and they should be part of the challenge - the players need to make do with what they have at hand. Apart from that, all this "I will pick my faaaaaaaavorite weapon" (read in a squeaky voice) is very childish in my eyes.
The best missions I played had very limited supplies, and many of the crap missions out there give the players too much weapons and ammo to choose from.
Quote:CK I'm looking forward to see what kind of missions that cider filled head of yours can produce! Must be a hell of a ride to play the fruit of your imagination! Big Grin

Oh - It's eventful  Wink

Quote:The best missions I played had very limited supplies, and many of the crap missions out there give the players too much weapons and ammo to choose from.

Pistols & Smoke Grenades only it is then!!!  ;D

(09-12-2013, 12:47 AM)ck-claw link Wrote: [ -> ]Pistols & Smoke Grenades only it is then!!!  ;D
Sounds great! Smile
Was just kidding Variable  Tongue

Going back to the revive, outta all the ones i've used/tested doesn't look like any have the option of probability of death outright!
Althought -BTC- Revive does have option of lives, so you could set it to one(2,3,4 or whatever) revive per person.
The chances of death, is it the AI shooting too accurately or is the design that, the AI will always slaughter you? Well, default ARMA 3 AI, I do notice their aimbotness is really high. They can handle their recoil too good as well. The only thing that may seem to save you is staying behind a wall. No first aid modules either, so take some shot to death I guess.

With stuff say ASR_AI, TPW Engine base suppression, etc, I wonder how shall that be.
Could someone link some tutorials or descriptions on the new stuff that differs from A2?
I'm having trouble with loadouts, in A2 it's simple 'remove, then add' while in A3 I first have to find the right underpants to store the gear in.

Those Site modules would be perfect if you could use them to populate civilian buildings, not just military ones. Are there any scripts that do that (or can it be done by extracting the module out of the files and modifying it)?

I swore to myself never to hand-place units inside buildings in A3, have enough of that boring crap in A2.

edit:
Answered myself:
[url=
(10-04-2013, 10:32 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: [ -> ]Could someone link some tutorials or descriptions on the new stuff that differs from A2?
I'm having trouble with loadouts, in A2 it's simple 'remove, then add' while in A3 I first have to find the right underpants to store the gear in.

I use Varanon's debug console for that. It can generate a custom loadout script recreating the exact loadout of the current unit. I don't know if Varanon published that one already though. (Also contains a fog editor)

Quote:Those Site modules would be perfect if you could use them to populate civilian buildings, not just military ones. Are there any scripts that do that (or can it be done by extracting the module out of the files and modifying it)?

IIRC, there is a script that does civilians and vehicles.