Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: 3D optics device occulus rift
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Damn, this is fun! Laughed my ass off!
[url=
I think it needs proper support from BI to work with A3. But I'd love to try it!  I bet you'd be exhaused after 10 mins of gameplay...
Big issue with the Oculus Rift (at least with the developer version that I have) is the resolution of the display, or rather, the distance between pixels. It looks like you are looking through one of those fly nets. Granted, after a while you hardly notice it anymore, but it is quite annoying.

The 3D effect, however, is incredible. I have played some Skyrim with it, and all of a sudden you actually feel the size of a horse, and walking through the streets of Markath is an entirely new experience. Funny thing is, when I first loaded one of my old saved games using the Rift, I was next to a cave that had a Wolf's head on a spike... It suddenly popped into view, and gave me a good scare.

Once you looked beyond the fly net thing, the immersion you get is seriously incredible, since "things" in the game world suddenly feel like they have substance. Character feel like real humans; they are there, right in front of you, with real depth and, for the first time, real size perception. It's impossible to explain, really, if you ever see one on a trade show or something, try it out.
(12-13-2013, 02:55 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote: [ -> ]I bet you'd be exhaused after 10 mins of gameplay...

Actually, yeah. It tends to make me dizzy, which is also caused by the fact that it only has rotational sensors, no spatial. That plus the fact that you don't feel your movement causes dissonance in your brain. They claim they can get that under control, I am curious if that is true.
(12-13-2013, 02:55 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote: [ -> ]I think it needs proper support from BI to work with A3. But I'd love to try it!  I bet you'd be exhaused after 10 mins of gameplay...

It actually works with Arma 2 since it's DX9, and you can run the Perception driver with it (which separates the images).

The 3d effect is great, the objects are life sized, but the low resolution makes spotting of distant targets difficult (which Is the reason I don't use it), plus the fly net effect is annoying.

What really gets me with the Rift is the size: On the screen, you have no real sense of the size of objects. But with the Rift, you see how big, for example, an MI-8 is when you stand next to it. If you are afraid of heights, you will get the same effect. You feel as if you could touch the trees in front of you, and you can look up to the leaves... the effect is really amazing.

One drawback is the nausea. I get nauseous after some time. According to Oculus, it will not happen with the new version... we'll see...
Interesting, is the resolution increased with the new version then?
(12-13-2013, 03:59 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting, is the resolution increased with the new version then?

Yeah, AFAIK they said something like 1080p for the new version, and they are apparently trying to get positional tracking in too.
I need to try it out. Five years at sea with not even once sea sick makes me feel I won't get nauseous Big Grin
I've tried the oculus at work too. The effect that it has is amazing. The headset is very well designed and was good to wear. Unfortunately the system gave me a bad headache. That just might be me because I get nauseous when watching 3D movies. The resolution is too low in the dev model to be useful. I think it's 1200x800. Where 1200 is for both eyes and so 600 per eye. Waiting to see if the HD resolution is enough. IMHO it should be HD for both eyes to be useful.
(12-14-2013, 09:10 PM)Lego link Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried the oculus at work too. The effect that it has is amazing. The headset is very well designed and was good to wear. Unfortunately the system gave me a bad headache. That just might be me because I get nauseous when watching 3D movies. The resolution is too low in the dev model to be useful. I think it's 1200x800. Where 1200 is for both eyes and so 600 per eye. Waiting to see if the HD resolution is enough. IMHO it should be HD for both eyes to be useful.

Agreed on all points.

The device is pretty lightweight, too, but the resolution is way too low.
A friend has this huge expensive 3D TV where you need those active glasses. After 15 minutes of watching I get a light headache and I see black "areas" when the depth effect is large. He doesn't see that and can watch full length movies...

Would you think it's something similar with the Oculus? Or is it something you can get used to?
You can train it,  after some time you get used to it
How to turn a COOP night into an exhausting workout:

[url=
This is cool! Although it might still give some problems with crouching... At least for good sniper shots it would be needful to play seriously with this device. But i can imagine its still working good for any FPS without crouching option... Maybe Metro game should be very scary with this setup  :o ?

Anyways it would be quite a workout to play a real mission with a longer running distance :-).

It looks like this device just works with your feed on it? I mean no moving surface, your feet will just strafe along the surface, right? Could give quite a massage after running along for two hours? I see me buying new socks every two weeks :-)...
(12-20-2013, 09:33 PM)Fat Tony link Wrote: [ -> ]I see me buying new socks every two weeks :-)...

LOL... Indeed. Although I think the device comes with special "overshoes" that you can put on your normal shoes or socks that makes it more slippery