Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: 16gb ram and what to do with it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I got 16 gb ram and now I wonder what should I use it for? How about ram drive? Is it useful for Arma or any other game?

I already have SSD, so I'm not sure about performance gain with ram disk?
I found RAMDisk to not really gain a whole lot in terms of performance over an SSD for the hassle it requires to set up and maintain.  I actually for some reason saw more stutter using a RAMDisk than with SSD in ArmA 2, even though RAMDisk should certainly be faster.  I think there is a lot more CPU overhead to run a RAMDisk.

I actually bought 12 GB of RAM back in the day thinking the same thing as you, but after testing it didn't seem worthwhile.  One nice thing is that I can disable my page file entirely and so far everything runs great.
Ok, so no point in using ramdisk if I already have SSD for Arma?

Gotta find purpose other than future proofing, I feel that it is likely that I have to switch to DDR4 before having 16gb DDR3 becomes useful.
Send it to me  Tongue

Well, I'm guessing you can't fit more onto your MB. Is 16Gb DDR3 better than what you have in now? Try replacing maybe.
No, I had 8gb kit and bought another 8gb kit. I kind of rushed because I wanted to pair same models and I was worried that that particluar model is going to be discontinued.

Performance wise it feels same, don't know the numbers, haven't tested. But I heard Win7 makes good usage of all available memory when computer starts and loads everything in it that may be even remotely needed.

Will disable page file, I forgot about it, and see what happens.
You could try something like FancyCache (currently in beta and free for 180 days) which allows you designate a certain amount of RAM as cache and which drives to cache (so you could just set it to cache your SSD with ArmA on). It works as a sort of dynamic RAMDisk, so any files that are loaded from HDD/SSD are stored in the RAM cache, so next time they're needed it loads them from there instead, which should be quicker.

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/fancy-cache/

So the first time you load ArmA it won't be any quicker, unlike with a RAMDisk but I found it was a pain to keep updating my RAMDisk every time A3 updates (wouldn't be such an issue if I was using the Stable as that doesn't update so often). A3 used to fit on a 8GB RAMDisk OK but now the addons/ folder is up to 10.8GB, so I'd have to spend time deciding which files to put on the RAMDisk as well, which you don't have to worry about with FancyCache.