Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Arma 2 - CWR2 - co12_cwr2_rolling_over_xmas.wcain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes I know, I made this 3 days late from Christmas.

Mission: Eliminate Russians, American survivors, and locals for Colonel Shepard.

Situation: While everyone in Winter Kolgujev is busy for Christmas, Colonel Shepard got some new tanks with upgraded armor and want his spec op units to test out the new tanks by blowing up Russians, Americans, and locals.

Enemy Forces: Some Russian bases with some tanks. Many infantries with RPG missiles.

There will be some trucks to refuel, rearm, and repair around each base.

Hopefully there's not too much enemies, but your tanks should be able to take 2 times more hits.
Sounds good! Looking forward for some tank action.
(01-13-2014, 12:28 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Came out longer than I expected. Before telling me too much ATs and such, the reason why I had a lot was because there's a repair station there and around and the tank has extra armor. I think I'd prefer going straight to the base rather than up around hills with bad angles. The last hill with 6 field guns I described as one of the toughest area to take so I'd would have left that for last. Sorry I left to eat at that point.
Way too long, we played almost two hours and we were about after the middle of it. Way too many RPG gunners. I know you beefed up the tanks armor, but it just look silly that 80% of the infantry carry RPG.
I would also not change the color of the tanks, it makes them look toyish and like a black hole, can't enjoy their nice model like that...
All in all, the mission got good potential, but I think it needs a lot of more attention.
Thanks for making Armor missions! I love that...
Hmmm... armor missions weren't my specialty anyways. What's your suggestion?

Maybe if I make another armor mission.... maybe a hasty ambush of an armor rolling up a big convoy and shooting it up?
(01-13-2014, 01:24 AM)Phantom link Wrote:What's your suggestion?
Well, as written on my post. Keep the original color of the tanks, make more heterogeneous teams of infantry (of course they can be reinforced AT teams), and cut down the objectives in half.

(01-13-2014, 01:24 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Maybe if I make another armor mission.... maybe a hasty ambush of an armor rolling up a big convoy and shooting it up?
This is a nice idea, but I would make a new mission out of it, and not scrap this one. It has great potential in my opinion if you just implement my comments and maverick's.

p.s I really liked the sudden appearance of enemy units, kept us on our toes.
(01-13-2014, 09:16 AM)Variable link Wrote:This is a nice idea, but I would make a new mission out of it, and not scrap this one. It has great potential in my opinion if you just implement my comments and maverick's.

Of course I wouldn't modify the same mission to do that. That'd go for an idea for a new mission once I get around to it.

Another idea I thought of about tanks (whole new idea that would be for a different mission once I get around) would be 3 Warriors full of infantries (AI). Attack just one town with mixed infantries/ATs/AA. Each tank can tell infantry to disembark and then infantry will head towards enemy occupied base. Tanks support them. Leader can also radio for Apache gunship support (recommended only after taking out AA, but you can call whenever).
I liked the idea of the mission, and the sudden appearance of random tanks and APC's on the road.  As a gunner I was never bored in this mission. 
And ofc, it took way too long, but that was also due to the broken repair/rearm stuff. I suggest you look into a repair script ([size=78%]http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16743[/size])  that makes it a lot easier. Also, don't lock the vehicles.

All in all, if you take the ridiculous objective on top of that hill away (That's not something you would engage with tanks anyway), and include a repair script, then it's quite good.

On the retextures of the tanks, I liked the idea, but black doesn't look good. Maybe just keep the original with some logo's spray pained on the side or smth (like the FIA stuff).
I agree about the last objective. It's not for tanks, and takes ages to climb.
Moving my comments here on Variable's request:

Good mission, the tank part was going well, but I think a few things contributed to it being overly frustrating and extremely difficult to complete:

1) Sheer number of enemies.  A Phantom classic, having about 75% more enemies than are needed.  Smile  There were something like six manned artillery cannons on that hill, along with two tanks, 2-3 M113s, and at least one Shilka.  Not to mention that 95% of the enemy infantry were carrying AT.  I know the tanks have buffed armor, but when you're getting hit from all sides by a dozen ATs at once, it hardly matters.

2) Repair/rearm truck weirdness.  If we had access to all available repair vehicles, it would have made the mission a lot better.  Instead we got stuck in situations where it was time-prohibitive to go all the way back and recover the ONE repair truck we could actually move, or where the tank slides down the hill due to damage and the repair truck is just up the hill, but is locked.  The one ammo station didn't even seem to work, despite much trying by Misha and rundll.exe.

3) Number of objectives.  Seriously, it was a lot over a huge area of the map.  That can be fine, but coupled with the limited repair/rearm capabilities and the massive amount of enemies, it just doesn't seem feasible to complete it given the resources we had.

So I guess my constructive criticism boils down to, tone down the enemy count a bit, make repair/rearm vehicles usable (or all vehicles for that matter), and maybe tone down the objectives, though if the first two suggestions are taken then it might be fine.  We did roll through at least half of the objectives in a decent amount of time, though I think the whole mission would have probably taken at least 2 hours to complete.
Updated mission.

Not all infantries in a group have AT this time although there's still a handful of ATs. All vehicles are unlocked. 3 objectives have been removed (including that get up to the hill objective).
Minor marker color change (due to unexisting turquoise marker from Troopsmon).