Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Stealth Theory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey Sekara. Welcome to the forums.

Yeah, for undercover in disguise mission, I thought the command
Code:
distance2D
would be suitable for undercover. You're safe as long as you don't get too close to the patrol and they see under your disguise. That's another way of doing it. I haven't dived into stealth missions in a while.
There's something pretty WTF going on with AI. I'm working on a mission with some stealth in it, using Urban Patrol Script. Everything looked OK once I placed some opfor units and assigned them a patrol area for UPS - they begin walking around slowly in safe stance. As soon as I put a blufor unit anywhere on the map, they're instanly in combat mode from the beginning of the mission, even though there is no chance they could see the enemy unit.
"east knowsAbout player" returns 4, and yet they keep patrolling in combat mode, not knowing blufor position. I'm using CiA mod set, any possible conflict?
AFAIR UPS has the tendency to "communicate" your presence if anyone notices you, so that might be the reason. Personally, I don't use it anymore, it also creates too much lag.
Hmm, I'll check how AI acts without UPS, maybe try to find a lightweight replacement. A pity though, since the script added cool engage/flank actions to the enemy group, once they really targetted you.

(11-27-2015, 05:03 PM)Suchy link Wrote:A pity though, since the script added cool engage/flank actions to the enemy group, once they really targetted you.
ASR AI include such features and it's activated on our server. Our addon profiles were updated with it this week.
Sweet. Meanwhile I replaced UPS with 'Ultra Simple Patrol Script' and it does the job just right, with stealthy approach now possible.
I used one of Alwarren's script for patrols now.

http://ciahome.net/forum/mission-making/...d-patrols/
Getting interested in stealth again since I'm in the mood for making low count missions or larger count missions with a low count variation along side (since I won't be around much with school starting again). I don't trust the Detected By trigger much for a full fledge stealth mission since it's unreliable.

I'm wondering if I have a triggger with a timer or something like this

Code:
{
    if (side _x == east && alive _x && _x knowsAbout p >= 3) then {
        ALARM TRIGGERED!!
    }
} forEach allunits

Maybe add a hint of some sort to check detection and if you're slightly detected, warns you to take out the threat before he calls the alarm for it to go back down.

I'll make gunshots, however, be instant alarm.

Reading this thread, https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/165896...ion/page-3 , I hear that AI can see their dead ungrouped through walls which might be concerning. I'm not sure if this is still the case. I think Tajin posted something about make the AI join a null group to get over that, but I'm wondering if that'd be ideal.

For example, if knows about goes somewhere above 0 but less than alarm value, maybe hint something about AI are sort of suspecting something like those splinter cell bots are like "whats that?! Probably my imagination again" or something. When knowsAbout go back to 0, hint something about that you're in the clear or something. Maybe if knowsabout go to whatever would be feasible for alarm level, hint a big red text to get rid of the threat before he calls the alarm (in most case, maybe you're fucked for getting the guy so aroused to start with). I wonder how that shall do?
Maybe for dead bodies, I'm thinking of using the following

BIS_fnc_relativeDirTo and distance for allUnits (side East) and allDead

Maybe if their distance is about 3 - 5 meters away or something and the relativeDirTo of the dead body is in an FOV of about 60 degrees or something, make the alarm raise. It wouldn't make sense in daylight since its easier to see (unless you increase relativeDirTo but then that'll make them see through walls. Maybe this might work for night. Maybe in some occassion it may seem that the AI is so retarded that they walk across a dead body without seeing, and maybe they may see in some occassion if its along their patrol route. Well, that'll make them seem dumber than Splinter Cell AIs but that's a start xD
I just retested some stealth stuff with knowsAbout. It seems the magic detect number to me is 1.5 . We don't need to check for dead bodies since if the AI finds a dead body near them, the knowsAbout automatically jump to 1.5 . If they get shot somewhere on their body, knowsAbout go to 1.5 . If you shoot near them or it didn't land on their body, knowsAbout may go to 1.35 or depending on how loud your gun is (I'm using an MXM suppressed while testing). Once they see you and start shooting at you, knowsAbout will become 4. 1.5 seems to be the magic aware of you, looking for you, but can't find you number.

Stealth kill is doable, but VERY risky. I'd make sure to shoot them right in the head and drop them in a bullet, make sure there's no witnesses (patrol at least 50 meters away from your target) then drop them. They'll notice something's up once they find the body. I have done 3 body shots to drop and AI without raising my knowsAbout, but he was the only guy left and I made it quick. Take too long and it'll raise. You can kill 2 AIs at the same time without raising knowsAbout. I shot one in the head and immediately shot the other in the head in a quick succession. Too slow and it'll jump to 1.5 because the other AI will detect the dead body next to him. I didn't wait long enough to see how knowsAbout decay over time, but I thought I read somewhere that the value decays over time if you move away from whoever was spotting you I guess and they cannot find you. Alternative way would be to take out the guy who detected you and it'll decay, but there's a risk of alerting others.

So stealth kills. Why its risky. If they find the body, knowsAbout goes to 1.5 . If they hear the shot or something suspicious, knowsAbout may raise to around 1.3 or depending on how loud your gun is. If you didn't kill the guy and just wounded him, knowsAbout 1.5 . Overall, in a design of a purist stealth mission. I'd make it where you don't even need to fire a shot.

Maybe I should try adding some sort of stealth meter for my zaros conspiracy mission and change detection to knowsAbout.
I see. Is there a script that allows the player to drag bodies?
I don't know about drag body. I remember Outlawz have a mission with hide body.

EDIT: Or I guess there's this http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26578
(03-23-2016, 07:08 PM)Phantom link Wrote:I just retested some stealth stuff with knowsAbout.

DO NOT USE knowsAbout.

It's sketchy at best. Use targetKnowledge instead
I guess I'll have to run that on all units then instead of east knowsAbout _x . I guess I'll leave whatever old mission I have as is and if I make a purist stealth mission in the future start from scratch.
You should probably localize it to the units that can detect players
Pages: 1 2 3 4