Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Arma 3 Zeus free dlc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sounds like MCC from description.
I'm still very pessimistic about this and a lot depends on the implementation. It's actually what I was expecting which is some sort of sci-fi/fantasy type game mode where you could play as some sort of "demigod".

If it's all one thing together and you can't use the Real Time Editor portion of it without having all the Zeus bullshit mixed in then it's pretty much pointless IMO and there's no need for it really as MCC does the same thing I believe minus all the Zeus stuff. I guess I only see it being real useful if it can be used as an in engine already existing MCC without needing to download the mod and it has systems in place to at least prevent abuse in say coop and pvp scenario's. Otherwise it seems like an ill thought out system that people are going to abuse and will eventually fade away most likely.
Sorry, I'm from Mars, what is MCC? Muslim Canadian Congress, Manchester Canoe Club?

edit: ok, found it.
(02-14-2014, 05:00 AM)Misha link Wrote:Sorry, I'm from Mars, what is MCC?

My Cider Cup  Smile
I have no interest whatsoever in such a game mode. And I have a feeling it will not last for very long.
Damn, when I read that they were working on an "exciting new multiplayer" feature, I thought it might actually be a revamp of SP Mission handling, so that it would automatically download any required mods, as I've been saying for ages that forcing users to manually find and download any needed mods results in a lot of people not playing (or designing) missions that need mods, which is a real shame considering the hard work people put into developing them.

Steam Workshop is great for distributing missions and makes people notice and play them but although BIS have been saying they're looking at a way for mods to be automatically downloaded with it, I just don't think it's possible and even if it was, players need to launch A3 with the required mods which is a pain as you don't necessarily know what mission you want to play and thus what mods you'll need when launching it.

PwS does now handle SP missions and automatic mod downloading for them but there's not many missions available on it as everyone's using Steam Workshop, which is understandable as it's the official method and has a lot of advantages, not least visibility.

Anyhoo, that's my bugbear Wink

Another thing that might have been OK is a sort of Commander role, where one player doesn't control a soldier but just has screens of intelligence (radars, etc) and can organise support, supply drops and so on and direct the squads on the ground but this DLC just sounds lame and I wish BIS would spend their time on improving the interface (access gear in briefing screen perhaps) and fixing things that need fixing rather than adding new features that aren't really needed.
BIS could be working on many promised/wanted/needed features, I know, but since we cannot choose what they  do let's try to enjoy what we have even if nobody asked for it. Let's try it! I wanna be evil game master!
(02-15-2014, 12:45 AM)Misha link Wrote:Let's try it! I wanna be evil game master!

Well as you're the first person to say you want to, I vote for you to be evil game master. Although maybe you could be a bit magnanimous occasionally, just to give us some hope Wink
I could see using this to create open ended missions for instance creating multiple objectives and actually leaving spawning of units to the Game Master whenever you actually load the mission. The problem I see is that someone would have to be willing to be the GM basically for the entire mission so he could actually control the AI as it looks like you have to control them and can't setup WP's or call for instance a patrol script.

The nice thing would be that the GM could tailor the mission much better to the situation on the ground more than a mission maker could trying to tailor to all potential possibilities. If Variable chooses a route that circumvents all the pre-placed AI, then the GM could simply insert some AI along the current path of the ground units for instance and then micromanage them like an RTS. He could also create surprise ambushes that would be very hard for a mission maker to do.

I can see some genuine usages for it, I just feel like there's a bit of a "gamey" touch being added to it with the whole Zeus theme and lightning bolt stuff which is kind of a turn off. I also feel like this is something that is best used by private groups and would rather have seen more focus on globally useful fixes and enhancements.
Yeah fair enough, I can see we might be able to use this to create some fun missions on the fly.

There's other things that can be used for this as well/instead, like

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.ph...ool-for-A3