Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: AI Control Discussion Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Didn't see another thread for this, so I figured I might start one.

Recently I have been reflecting on my ArmA abilities and, especially with playing the ArmA 3 campaign, have come to the realization that I am really not very effective at controlling an AI squad.  Of course, there are numerous AI problems that are related to ArmA 3 itself, but that's not really what I want the focus of this thread to be.  Instead, I'd like to get some feedback in the form of tips, tricks and advice on how you guys control AI effectively.  Do you use keyboard macros?  Do you use voice command software?  What's the best way to utilize the AI given the constraints of what they will or won't do?

Personally, I have just been using the normal keyboard commands (number keys, etc.), and I haven't found that particularly effective, especially since I haven't memorized all of the menus yet.  I know there is a context-sensitive menu that pops up when you select team member(s), but other than regrouping and moving I haven't found that particularly effective, either.  I have a Corsair K90 keyboard, and have considered making a profile for the G keys to have some macros set up that give common commands, but I am not sure which ones are the best yet.

I imagine a lot of this is practice, too, but I'd just like to how you guys handle it, and if there are any ways to make it easier.
I just use the vanilla interface, since I played enough to remember all the (important) commands. I find the contextual command useful only for the using the following:
1. Order units to board a vehicle
2. order team to target a visible enemy
3. Order medic to hear a different unit
4. Order mechanic to repair a vehicle
5. Order units to move to specific point.

If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to help.