Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: New PC for a friend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(06-23-2014, 05:37 PM)Misha link Wrote: [ -> ]That's a good one, optimal price/performance ratio, comparable to 3570k which I drive.
Great, thanks Misha!
But look which mobo you buy because that CPU need 2011 socket MB Wink
If motherboard is 1550 socket, 4770k would be equally good.
(06-23-2014, 09:05 PM)Horus link Wrote: [ -> ]But look which mobo you buy because that CPU need 2011 socket MB Wink
Yeah, already noticed that. He's building a new PC from scratch, so I'll just make sure he gets a 2011 type.
whoa, really low price for an i7. I usually see them starting at around $300 range.
Special price for Intel employees Wink
Well, as everyone else already suggested...

GPU: GTX 770 / 280X  (Do NOT get the 770 if you are uncomfortable flashing your videocard bios, as nvidia has a hard cap on volts by default.(not all cards)) That said, my 770 is running 1380 core and 1830 memory after flash. If you are not flashing, the 280x is king.

Motherboard: A simple "MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate" is perfectly good for anything you want.

CPU: 4690k - no doubt about it.
Cooler^: hyper 212 / true spirit 120/140 / whatever is recommended. Just don't go below Hyper 212 Evo in cooling.

PSU: Any bronze+++ 650W PSU - preferrably modular, just to save yourself a shit ton of headaches. It's worth paying a tiny bit extra for, trust me.

Ram: Doesn't matter at all. Just don't go below 1333 MHz, try and get some less than 1.35 volt ram, for some reason Haswell likes lower volts. Heat spreader is irrelevant, but they look nice.

SSD: I have the 840 Pro, 840 Evo, and a Crucial M500 - see no difference whatsoever. I think Crucial just released a new bang for buck drive, M550? I'd buy that. But, if recording to SSD, check read/write cycles for each of them before you decide.

Storage: Whatever bro, get the biggest GB per dollar, stay with WesternD/Seagate, read reviews for the cheapest you can find. Too many harddrives to keep track of.

Case: 100% up to you, I can only recommend the Corsair C70, it has handles! I love the doors! Fuck screws! Plus, a lot of room for water cooling. The drive bay has good room for a bay reservoir+pump combo.
http://i.imgur.com/8zvfY.jpg - Ignore the enormous waste of money called Sabertooth+ram cooling, just look at that sexy interior!

FANS/AIRFLOW: If you need extra fans to direct airflow, get some cheap Arctic F12 fans, PWM if he wants to control sound. They are very good all-around fans, and hella cheap too. If these SilverStone (SST-AP121) 120 mm Air Penetrator fans aren't much more expensive, you could get those too, they are super quiet and direct airflow like no other...

EXTRA NOTES: Water cooling is more cost effective in the long run, not the prebuilt AiO cooling, but the custom loops, letting you get more out of your CPU for free. The only thing needing replacement if taken care of properly is the pump every 3-8 years. Perhaps water once or twice per year, cheap and easy though.
I have my 3570k in my old PC still humming along at 5GHz@1.44volts, 86 degrees maximum during EXTREME stress tests (IBT Maximum) (would probably be closer to high 50's if I delidded, but <90 is perfectly fine). However, in games with the water cooling, it never got any higher than 65.  240+120 radiators

Sorry for all the typo's if there is anything, was in a rush writing this
Any Intel K processor is great, and if they want to overclock, the K series usually handle overclocking much better than any others.
Great guys, thanks a lot for all the inputs. He'll go for k!
I would work for Intel anytime, if they offer their products at these prices. I would spend my salary on their products anyway.
Pages: 1 2