Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Arma 3 roadmap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm just going to put this up here in case someone hasn't seen it. I know I might be again the only one who hasn't seen it yet, but anyway...

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/...map-201415
So this is a Arma 3 development roadmap for 2014-2015. The most interesting points:

Helicopters and vehicles:
-They will implement the TKOH chopper flight simulation into ARMA3. It will be up to the people running servers and players if this is on. So you can turn it off for Single player.
-FIRING FROM VEHICLES!!!!!!!
    rewamped shooting model:
-Shooting might become a little harder. (?)
    Coming expansions and content:
-Full expansions are not going to be standalone like OA for Arma2.
-A POSSIBLE 3D EDITOR
-New terrain
-DLCs will be like in Arma2, basic functionality needed to play them will be free, but you can probably pay for high res textures and such.

If everyone knows about this stuff, then I guess this thread will be for discussing the changes to come. Also, if anyone knows about other stuff that's going to be in the game, feel free to educate me.
(And for Variable to rant about the changes not coming!) ;D
I hope the rope system will also bring a towing system, so we can attach our artillery behind a hmmvw Smile
I wish the hand grenade throwing mechanism will get an overhaul, but that doesn't seem to be the focus.
(05-26-2014, 06:46 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]I wish the hand grenade throwing mechanism will get an overhaul, but that doesn't seem to be the focus.

What do you mean? Different styles for throwing them? I mean I think that, as basic as it is, grenades are quite usable at the moment? the range is slightly short though.
AFAIK, firing from vehicles wasn't a given yet, it's something they are thinking about, although I'm sure the community will be nagging them about it.

The good part about the expansion is that if you bought the supporter edition, it also covers the expansion (confirmed by BIS), since the supporter edition said "Not including ans STANDALONE expansions"
(05-26-2014, 08:51 PM)Spete link Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean? Different styles for throwing them? I mean I think that, as basic as it is, grenades are quite usable at the moment? the range is slightly short though.

There are several problems with grenades, IMHO, some have been somewhat addressed.

- You could really spam them... I mean, press G-G-G-G-G and you spammed grenades like crazy. The recent change was to raise the reload time for the "thrown" muzzle, resulting in a longer delay.
- You can not cook grenades, or change the arc of throwing them... there was a video by Dyslexci that illustrated possibilities for grenade throwing, which was quite good.
Oh, I had completely forgotten about the supporter edition!  :o  But I guess that might be a way for them to acknowledge the people willing to throw money at them in support. Still I can't help but to think this might not have been the case had the supporter edition seen substantially more sales....

I think I've gotten too used to the shitty throwing system in Armas. Even though having to choose the grenade from the fire selection menu was far from a optimal way to go, the CODish way to fling them in 0,5 seconds is truly a lousy desing choice from them.

+I would really like to have the option to shoot from vehicles. Even though you can always argue about the effectiveness of firing from moving vehicles but engaging from stationary vehicles (staying in cover from small arms fire) and giving suppressive fire from moving vehicles would in my opinion be a really nice option to have.
It surely would open a lot of ways to make convoy missions, compared to how you always have to react now. (Either run away or completely halt the convoy and get out.)

++Does anyone know if they are planning on officially bringing content from Arma 2?
(05-26-2014, 09:30 PM)Spete link Wrote: [ -> ]++Does anyone know if they are planning on officially bringing content from Arma 2?

They don't. That's why they released the stuff, they hope someone else does it for them.
(05-26-2014, 11:08 PM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ]They don't. That's why they released the stuff, they hope someone else does it for them.

Yeah... Over the years the amount of stuff they've left for the community to get corrected/done has been quite disturbing to me at least. For example, the ingame radio system. It has been playable/usable (sometimes), but nowhere near what they should be in a military simulation game. Does anyone feel like the whole "make Arma not war" is just for the purpose of filling their shortcomings? Or am I just irrationally paranoid?

Maybe Armas in general are just tool kits for the community to make the content..?  ???
(05-26-2014, 08:51 PM)Spete link Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean? Different styles for throwing them? I mean I think that, as basic as it is, grenades are quite usable at the moment? the range is slightly short though.
What I hate the most about the grenades is the fact you can determine only the throw angle, not the throw power. That means you can't, for example, toss a grenade over a close wall, you will just overshoot it. That, and the fact the throw is just instant, like you fire the grenade from your shoulder.
Things i'd like to see fixed as well:

- Door interaction, so i don't plant explosives everytime i have to open/close doors

- Killer Stairs won't break my legs or get me stuck  [see stairs on the big metal tower for instance]

- Killer rocks, we either break our legs, slide and die or slide and get stuck, not to say that there are flat rocks or relatively flat hills where you cannot go prone

- gun, chracter, AI vs. wall oclusion, sometimes this makes the hiding behind a wall inutile

+ grenades, there is a lot of room for improvement as you all said

These should be small and simple game mechanic fixes IMO.