Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Idea for more helicopter gameplay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been thinking lately about the presence of helicopters in missions, namely the littlebirds. I am my self a fly-boy at heart and I have a few ideas on how they can be incorporated more often into missions.  Some missions have been notoriously difficult and we have quickly been surrounded without really knowing in which direction to prioritize our fire *cough*chough*FHQ*cough Wink

I think we can greatly benefit from having a bird in the sky to relay information and give us better situational awareness. A Pawnee for example could operate on a strictly "hold fire" basis and just do scouting for the ground teams as to not lessen the challenge and fun for the guys on the ground. Of course it could be ordered to provide CAS in desperate situations.

In other missions we have had to cover large distances in between objectives. A Hummingbird would be very useful here. Some might argue that It wouldn't be much fun for the pilot but I for one wouldn't mind taking on the more peaceful role as a transport pilot. I just love to fly and I'm sure others do too.

A Pawnee pilot could also ferry around a sniper into good positions in between scouting and CAS runs. We would also get more use from our colored smoke grenades, marking friendly and enemy positions etc.Do you think this would fit in with the CIA play style? I really think it could add a little extra spice Wink

I am by no means a über pilot, although I have gotten quite good at hiding behind buildings, "sniping" individual soldiers from a far and taking out the turret on pesky Ifrits
I hope my ramblings has been some what coherent. Please tell me what you think

On a side note. To any one who is thinking of buying the new Saitek X-55, I'm really happy with mine. Yes it is plastic but it feels solid. Definitely the best stick I've ever owned (Have 5 or 6 old ones laying around)

edit: Damn it I put it in the wrong section. Ment for it to go in CIA Coop nights
I fully agree. One of the best Arma 3 missions I played was ck's radar love, that had multiple objectives across Altis and Blackfoot and Ghosthawk for support. It was great. Being transported from place to place really adds to the diversity of the mission and enriches it with multiple experiences. I was kinda sad when we completed it.

I would also love to see more gunship and transport helicopter support missions. It's good to know we have pilots who can handle themselves.
I am actually looking forward to getting that Helicopter pack into the addons list. While the Ghost Hawk is a cool-looking chopper, the original Black Hawk has almost twice the number of seats, and the pack contains an Apache and Cobra too.
I just completed a mission with a gunship and transport helo who have to extract a few scientists from a research facilty. Framework is done,  just need finetuning
(06-22-2014, 08:24 PM)Varanon link Wrote:I just completed a mission with a gunship and transport helo who have to extract a few scientists from a research facilty. Framework is done,  just need finetuning

Insert the "Choplifter" cartridge...?
Looking forward to that one Smile
Thanks for the replies guys.
That transport mission sounds very interesting. I have stuck to flying the littlebirds and the kajman in Arma 3 because I've had some difficulty getting any of the targeting commands to work for me. Maybe I'm just retarded but I just can't cycle any targets like in Arma 2. I've tried everything, being by my self in the chopper, having an AI gunner, command fire, manual fire. You name it I have tried it. Hopefully someone can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.

I'm really enjoying the littlebirds though. AA can be very difficult to dodge without any counter measures. You pretty much have to dive down a canyon or hide behind trees and houses very low to the ground as soon as you hear the lock-on tone. Very difficult but satisfying when you pull it of
(06-23-2014, 01:06 PM)McGregor link Wrote:Maybe I'm just retarded
You are not retarded, you are special! I am special too and managed to lock on targets using shift+tab. Although the control suppose to lock on empty targets, for me it's the only way to lock on manned targets! Try it out, I bet it's the same problem just because BIS mixed up the controls.
(06-23-2014, 01:14 PM)Variable link Wrote:You are not retarded, you are special! I am special too and managed to lock on targets using shift+tab. Although the control suppose to lock on empty targets, for me it's the only way to lock on manned targets! Try it out, I bet it's the same problem just because BIS mixed up the controls.

He he thanks. I'll try that. They couldn't just make it easy could they? The headache I was forced to endure just to get my analog throttle to work properly would have been enough to break Buddha himself  :o